zooropean

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Wed May 27, 2020 1:17 pm

eblieb wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm
sakaki wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 pm
eblieb wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 pm
So running GENTOO on my RPI 4 4gb and it seems to running fine, except the 5ghz. It is connected to my AC router with a good signal strength but the link state is limited to 72.2 Mbps for some reason.
Do you get a different result on 5GHz under vanilla Raspbian? What about when using Raspbian under the official 64-bit kernel (arm_64bit=1 set in /boot/config.txt)?

thx, sakaki
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I reinstalled raspbian and set it to use the 64 bit kernel. Getting link connects of 433.3 Mbps Tx and Rx (from my router's interface). I gave up at this time using anything but Raspbian, and even then I had to finally give up on trying to use the raspberry pi 4 as a dedicated Zoom client. It just never worked correctly in any web browser so I had to put a windows machine back in my livingroom.
There are some other threads about Zoom with some suggestions. I need to try them again but there's someone on here who claims they have Zoom working ok on the RPI4.

CaptainMidnight

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi sakaki

Forgive me for asking some basic questions wrt your Gentoo image which appears to work very well on my RPi4B8

1. Is there any way to install .deb packages
2. I'm curious to understand why tightvnc/tigervnc has been used as realvnc server is freely available and fully licensed (free) for use on RPi.
3. How in Gentoo would/can/is it possible to use the 5.4. kernel - in standard Rasbian/RaspberryPi OS it's a simple rpi-update - I'd assume in your Gentoo image it's unavailable unless you created that build?
4. What package manager is available for use - trying to install dpkg via emerge doesn't seem to work.

Initial installation and use of your Gentoo image appears solid and quick.

CM
"Never get out of the boat." Absolutely goddamn right!
Unless you were goin' all the way...

sakaki

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:26 pm

CaptainMidnight wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 pm
1. Is there any way to install .deb packages
2. I'm curious to understand why tightvnc/tigervnc has been used as realvnc server is freely available and fully licensed (free) for use on RPi.
3. How in Gentoo would/can/is it possible to use the 5.4. kernel - in standard Rasbian/RaspberryPi OS it's a simple rpi-update - I'd assume in your Gentoo image it's unavailable unless you created that build?
4. What package manager is available for use - trying to install dpkg via emerge doesn't seem to work.
  1. Not straightforwardly. If you don't care about dependencies, or overwriting existing files that may already be owned by another (Portage-installed) package, you could use dpkg on Gentoo to blat your target deb (see 4 below for how to install dpkg itself), but I wouldn't recommend it.

For context, let's zoom out a little. Like most (binary) package formats, binary debs contain, inter alia:
    • A tree of files to install into the host's root filesystem
    • Dependency and other metadata (GPL3+ licensed, needs packages a, b, >=c-2.0.1, conflicts with package x, arch, etc.)
    • Scripts to be called at preset points in the install / upgrade / uninstall lifecycle flow
    Handling all this properly (avoiding file collisions, transclosing deps, invoking OS-specific helpers such as debconf from lifecycle scripts etc.) in a rootfs primarily managed by a different, non-Debian-centric package manager (here, Portage), is complex. The problem is most commonly dealt with by creating a custom ebuild (Gentoo build recipe) using the versioned target deb as the 'source tarball' (or 'arball' ^-^), then fixing any issues with its install tree and replicating any e.g. postinst actions using Portage phase functions (for a simple example, please see e.g. here).

Another problem is that current Raspbian (== PIOS32? still learning the new names ^-^) packages are 32-bit and so will require 32-bit support libraries to run (unless statically linked). And the Gentoo image is a 'pure' 64-bit system. PIOS64 debs won't suffer from this issue of course.

There are other options though. If the target app is available as a Flatpak, you can install it under Gentoo (Flatpak apps come with their deps bundled). Ditto for Docker images (these come with the necessary userland deps bundled too). And you can always chroot into another (e.g. Raspbian) guest rootfs and use familiar package management tools there.
  2. tig{ht,er}vnc has better compression for low-bandwidth situations, and there's no in-tree ebuild for the open edition of realvnc right now (although there are some in third-party overlays). I have avoided the use of userland components that can't be built from source in the image (which rules out the non-FOSS versions of realvnc, such as that supplied with Raspbian); plus I believe the (financially) free license for realvnc on Raspbian only applies to that OS.
  3. You can build any available branch of the kernel from source yourself if you like: for instructions, please see here (and here, if you'd like to use crossdev to build on a PC). I'll be moving the binary kernel packages to 5.4 when upstream migrates; systems running gentoo-on-rpi-64bit will then pick this up automatically as part of their default weekly update run.
  4. The problem is that app-arch/dpkg is not yet keyworded for arm64 (i.e. no Gentoo dev has yet certified it works on that arch). However, like many packages, it actually builds fine, you just need to let Portage know it's OK to try. To do so, issue:

Code: Select all

pi64 ~ # echo "app-arch/dpkg * ~*" > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/dpkg
    pi64 ~ # emerge app-arch/dpkg

For more detail on what this means, please see e.g. here.

hth, sakaki

Gazzy

Emtee error: caught signal

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am

Hey Sakaki,

The last update for me was fairly large about 130 items.

Early in the emerge of “ rpi4-firmwares “ failed and went red,
Something like no folder b.lib.
( then it also opted out of the firmware updater update)
But I didn’t write it down.

After the 130. Down to 125 items updated.

It listed that emtee error, caught signal - exiting.

I’ll try it one more time to see if it fixes itself, maybe with more net bandwidth.

Maybe you have an idea what might have upset it.

Thanks

Gazzy

Gazzy

emtee error

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:09 am

hey sakaki,

this is the output of my second attempt
still failed.
thanks for you help

>>> Install dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1 into /var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/image
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.6/doins.py", line 611, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv[1:]))
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.6/doins.py", line 602, in main
    os.path.dirname(source)):
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.6/doins.py", line 450, in _doins
    return install_runner.install_file(source, os.path.dirname(dest))
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.6/doins.py", line 386, in install_file
    return self._ins_runner.run(source, dest_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.6/doins.py", line 195, in run
    sstat = os.stat(source)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: b'lib'
 * ERROR: dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64 failed (install phase):
 *   doins failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/work'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/work'

>>> Failed to emerge dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/build.log'
*** Resuming merge...
Calculating dependencies... done!
 * emerge --keep-going: dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-updater-7.2.1 dropped because
 * it requires ~dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1

* Messages for package dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1:

* ERROR: dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64 failed (install phase):
 *   doins failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1::genpi64'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/work'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/work'

* Messages for package dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-updater-7.2.1:

* emerge --keep-going: dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-updater-7.2.1 dropped because
 * it requires ~dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1
 * The following 2 packages have failed to build, install, or execute
 * postinst:
 *  (dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1:0/0::genpi64, ebuild scheduled for merge), Log file:
 *   '/var/tmp/portage/dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-images-7.2.1/temp/build.log'
 *  (dev-embedded/rpi4-eeprom-updater-7.2.1:0/0::genpi64, ebuild scheduled for merge)

* emtee: Error: Caught signal - exiting
* genup: Warning: emtee @world build did not complete successfully!
* Updating @world set (for new versions, or changed use flags)...

ScottE

Re: emtee error

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:56 pm

Gazzy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:09 am
hey sakaki,

this is the output of my second attempt
still failed.
thanks for you help
The issue is that the firmware eeprom images changed packages in this release. The ebuild is using the upstream deb file `rpi-eeprom-images`, but as of 7.2.1 that doesn't include the binaries. Sakaki will want to update the ebuild to use the `rpi-eeprom` deb package instead.

sakaki

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi Gazzy,

thanks for reporting, you seem to be affected by issue #173.

Basically, it appears that that the upstream's RPi EEPROM deb layouts have changed: as of v7.2.1, the /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/... payload has moved, from the rpi-eeprom-images to rpi-eeprom deb (look at the respective changes in size from v7.1.1 to v7.2.1 in this directory).

The matching rpi-eeprom-images/rpi-eeprom-updater ebuilds are created automatically by a bot that tracks releases to these debs upstream, but the change in their content has wrongfooted this process. Apologies, I should improve my CI to catch this kind of thing ><

Anyway, the issue should be fixed by the revbumps in sakaki-/genpi64-overlay@8fc508f.

Run:

pi64 ~ # emaint sync --repo genpi64
to pick up the changes, then try emtee again: hopefully it will work successfully this time.

best, sakaki

Gazzy

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Hey sakaki,

Yes, that fixed it. Thanks.

I guess it was my fault after all. I had been trying to use just sudo genup
By itself as the update cycle had become so long.

Previously I had been using the more lengthy

sudo emaint sync —repo genpi64 && sudo emerge -v —oneshot—update rpi-64bit-meta && sudo genup && sudo dispatch-conf

Thanks for your help and advice
I will go back to using the longer update if that is more complete.

Thanks

Gazzy

sakaki

Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi Gazzy,

no, in this case the fault was definitely my side; the bug fix for issue #173 was only released after your second attempt at running emtee.

sudo genup should be absolutely fine as your regular update method; it will, as part of its flow, update the various underlying subscribed repos, including genpi64 (unless you use the -S flag).

Best, sakaki

Gazzy

Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Hey sakaki,

Ok I will tentatively use just sudo genup.

As I ran the new update with the emaint genpi64. , it downloaded 30 more updates.

But maybe you just got them to come through today. Usually I would update in the new week, as the weeks updates all seem through by Monday or Tuesday.

I guess that you are adding all the emaints to the genup script, so you don’t need to do them before updating.

Thanks for all your help,
And all the updates you organise.

The project is going great
And is working very well.

Thanks
Gazzy

sakaki

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Hello,

I have just unmasked the first rpi-5.4.y kernels for use by gentoo-on-rpi-64bit users. This is slightly ahead of RPi engineers making this the default branch (still rpi-4.19.y at the time of writing) but stability now appears to be good, and I want to ship a 5.4 kernel in the forthcoming 1.6.0 image release (in the very early stages of prep now).

To update, ensure you have network connectivity, then issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo genpi64
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emerge -v1u bcm2711-kernel-bis-bin bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin
Once this completes, reboot, and you should be using your new kernel!

If, on the other hand, you would rather stay with the 4.19 kernels pro tem (and avoid these auto-bumping to 5.4 on your next genup run), then instead issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo nano -w /etc/portage/package.mask/kernel
and place in that file:

>=sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bin-5.4
>=sys-kernel/bcm2711-kernel-bin-5.4
>=sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin-5.4
>=sys-kernel/bcm2711-kernel-bis-bin-5.4
Save, and exit nano.

Any problems, with the 5.4 kernels, please let me know.

PS the underlying autobuilds for the kernels have been modified, to track rpi-5.4.y (see here, here, here and here).

best, sakaki

Gazzy

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 pm

Hey sakaki,

I got another error during a genup.

Mail-client thunderbird requires at least 8gb disk space at temp.

That seems very large for a simple mail app.

I’m only using a 32 gb sd for the image
And my free space is down to 6.8 gb

Do you have any recommendations or will
Gentoo require more than 32gb from now on.

Most os fit within 20gb

Maybe there are big temp items that can be deleted.

Thanks

Gazzy

sakaki

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi Gazzy,

was thunderbird trying to build from source by any chance? It should not care about the amount of temp space when installing from binary package. You might want to try running genup again, as I have recently pushed a number of updates (including the latest thunderbird-68.9.0 as a binary).

As to slimming down the image, you can get rid of any unneeded binary package files etc. by running:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo eclean-dist --deep
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo eclean-pkg --deep
Best, sakaki

Gazzy

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Hey sakaki,

That fixed it, I got 10 gb back from pkg clean.

Thanks again

Your the best.

Gazzy

Gazzy

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 am

Hey sakaki

So still running the first genup.

It found the binary for 68.9.0 in an @world
Session.

But it still seems to be compiling from the binary. Seems a bit strange to me.
Is taking a very long time, which is unexpected.

Maybe take a note that it’s a bit of a strange binary.

I’m sure it will work out fine, but it’s definitely compiling and going through line by line.

Thanks
Gazzy.

Gavinmc42

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:12 am

Thanks Sakaki, 5.4.44 working fine so far.
Not sure why but I'm still stuck on mesa 20.0.4

If you can figure out how to add the Vulkan drivers to Gentoo64 1.60 that would be nice.
I tried in Raspberry Pi OS, got very close then got stuck.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=276412

Edit - sound out the audio jack has issues.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

nosolohacking

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:36 pm

BRX7 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 pm
I am having some difficulties with getting to the web interface on my docker running pihole.
after upgrading from 1.5.2 rc5 to the latest 1.5.2 rc8

I get this message inside the docker container of pihole:latest

2019-12-02 12:25:12: (server.c.970) couldn't get 'max filedescriptors' Operation not permitted

Stopping lighttpd

ghttpd: no process found

portainer works fine. but not sure what is gone wrong here.
This is an easy fix and is due to privileged mode. Please find the fix in the following article. https://www.nosolohacking.info/docker-p ... permitted/

kevinthefixer

Good News and Bad News

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Good news: I saw at least one mention of supporting USB-MSD booting on this (1.5.4) image but it seemed the heavy devs haven't the time, which I understand completely! I got it to work in exactly the same way I did the RPiOS-64, and using the same downloads.
viewtopic.php?p=1670403#p1670403
Simply a matter of prepping the Pi's eeprom then making sure the necessary files exist in the /boot/ partition. Works a charm for me.

Bad news: I have utterly failed to convince Gentoo to compile Seamonkey (web browser etc). Whatever I do, it seems emake fails. Now, it's not that I think Seamonkey is that much better than some of the big-boy-browsers, in fact it has a lot of Firefox's code under the hood, it's that I've been using it and storing passwords and such in it for 15 years, starting with Puppy Linux 1.0.3 around '05. Linux OSs were so small back then you could get several installer images on one CD! Now, I'm not asking anyone to spend any significant time on a minor point like this, that wouldn't benefit many people, but if anyone might have a tip or pointer here I'd appreciate it.

And @sakaki, thank you for the tremendous amount of work you put into this! Not being a dev myself, I can merely stand open-mouthed.

geev03

Re: Good News and Bad News

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 pm

kevinthefixer wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 pm
Good news: ....I got it to work in exactly the same way I did the RPiOS-64, and using the same downloads.
viewtopic.php?p=1670403#p1670403
Simply a matter of prepping the Pi's eeprom then making sure the necessary files exist in the /boot/ partition. Works a charm for me.

...[ /quote]
Thank you, just tried it and it works for me too :)

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    1 29.2G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    1  255M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    1 28.9G  0 part /
demouser@pi64 ~ $ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          7.6Gi       717Mi       5.1Gi       105Mi       1.8Gi       6.7Gi
Swap:         1.0Gi          0B       1.0Gi
demouser@pi64 ~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        28G  9.2G   18G  35% /
devtmpfs         10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           778M  908K  778M   1% /run
cgroup_root      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm             3.8G     0  3.8G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1       255M   67M  189M  27% /boot
none            3.8G   16K  3.8G   1% /run/user/1000
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 

sakaki

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:48 am

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.6.0 release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi4 B / RPi3 B & B+ on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

As always, you can burn the image (~1,961MiB compressed) to a microSD card (>=16GB), then boot your RPi3 or RPi4 from it directly (the root partition will be automatically resized to fill the card on first boot). Full instructions for download and use are provided on the project's GitHub page. As before, a 'lite' (CLI-only) image is also provided.

Here's a screenshot of the image running on a dual-display RPi4 B (click to show a higher resolution view):

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Switched kernel branch, from rpi-4.19.y to rpi-5.4.y, with the shipped kernels upgraded to bcm{rpi3,2711}-kernel-bis-bin-5.4.45.20200616, and boot firmware to sys-boot/rpi3-64bit-firmware-1.20200601_p64, respectively (the rpi3 name in the latter being an historical artifact; code for both the RPi3 and RPi4 is provided). This migration is slightly in advance of RPi engineers switching to rpi-5.4.y as their default branch, but stability now appears to be good, and a 5.4 kernel is already used in the beta version of PIOS64.
  • Following upstream, migrated from consolekit to elogind. As a result of this change, a large number of userland packages have had to be rebuilt wrt their v1.5.4 release versions.
  • As the new kernels make each of HDMI-1, HDMI-2 and headphone outputs its own ALSA device, added a small, USE-flag gated workaround to media-sound/pulseaudio to counter an initialization issue (hopefully will be properly resolved soon - if you are a pulseaudio guru, please feel free to dig in!), whereby pulse can only use two of the three independent streams at any time (thanks to Gavinmc42 for reporting). The workaround allows audio on HDMI-1 (the HDMI0 port, confusingly!) and the headphone port so, if you are only using a single monitor, be sure to plug it into the HDMI0 socket (the one nearer the USB-C power connector); and if using two monitors, bear in mind that only the HDMI0-connected one will be able to play sound. (If your application requires sound out of both monitors, then disable the pi4-workaround USE flag on media-sound/pulseaudio and re-emerge it; your headphone port will then be disabled, and HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 enabled.) Note that the use of e.g. additional headset-to-USB adaptors etc is not affected by this workaround, and they should be fully useable.
  • Added the net-analyzer/etherape and net-analyzer/wireshark packages (a network traffic visualizer and analysis tool), as these have been repeatedly requested.
  • Added a fixup to ensure that the snd_bcm2835 module was still autoloaded on the RPi3.
  • Fixed an issue with the keyboard switcher panel item, which did not always set up the initial layout correctly on first boot.
  • Switched (for demouser) the default youtube streaming mechanism of media-video/smplayer to youtube-dl (since the 'internal' mechanism was no longer reliable), and added net-misc/youtube-dl to the core package set. Also setup media-video/smplayer to use 'auto-copy' for hardware decoding (per feedback in this issue; thanks Jimmy-Z) and to use 4 threads for software decoding, where possible.
  • Removed app-portage/porthole from the apps / shipped @world sets, as it has been dropped upstream (Gentoo bug #708096).
  • Migrated the XFCE desktop and associated tools to a mix of 4.14/4.15 (from 4.12).
  • Updated media-video/ffmpeg with a number of LibreELEC patches (thanks acroobat). This should improve video playback performance in certain cases. NB: the LibreELEC hevc patches have not been applied in this release.
  • Added an initial set of packages for the FOSS videoconferencing server, Jitsi. Please see this post for further instructions on setup and use (although you can of course skip the "RPi4 64-bit Gentoo Install" section there, as the necessary packages are already present on the image). You'll realistically require a 2GiB RPi4B (or better) to run this application successfully. Note, though, that since Jitsi does not process the video streams, but acts simply as a meeting coordination point, selective forwarding unit and TURN server, the CPU requirements are not onerous - an RPi4 should be able to handle a reasonable number of simultaneous participants.
  • Updated the media-libs/raspberrypi-userland package to 1.20200520. As of this date, 64-bit MMAL userland support had (just ^-^) not yet been dropped, so in v1.6.0 of the image you can still use raspivid etc.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 11 June 2020. So e.g., www-client/chromium bumped to 84.0.4147.30, www-client/firefox to 77.0.1, app-office/libreoffice to 6.4.4.2 etc.
Users already on the prior 1.5.4 or earlier release can upgrade manually by following the instructions given here.

Note: this version should also support boot-from-USB on the Pi4, but to enable this you will need (at the time of writing) a beta version of the Pi4's EEPROM software. To install this, set (at your own risk!) FIRMWARE_RELEASE_STATUS="beta" in /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update, and reboot.Once back up, reboot again to reflash the new EEPROM payload. You should then be able to write a copy of the image to a USB target, and boot from this (provided the uSD card is not inserted). However, I have not fully tested this process.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post either in this thread, or in the project's (sticky) thread on the Gentoo forums (here).

sakaki

PS the bootable images are also available for download via PINN, for those who prefer that route, called gentoo64 and gentoo64lite there.

Edit: update screenshot
Last edited by sakaki on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjan

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:41 am

does this chromium build with 'use_vaapi=true' like Arch did?

Gazzy

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:04 am

Hey,

Just finished updating, everything is smooth.
Looking forward to USB boot, when it comes out of beta.

Just did some testing. YouTube is much smoother, no screen tearing or unwanted lines.
Audio still takes a extra second to kick in, but seems fine.

Great work
Thanks sakaki and all contributors.

Gaz

geev03

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 am

Gazzy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:04 am
Hey,

Just finished updating, everything is smooth.
Looking forward to USB boot, when it comes out of beta.
Great work
Thanks sakaki and all contributors.

Gaz
USB boot works..

root@pi boot]# unzip usb-msd-boot-firmware.zip 
Archive:  usb-msd-boot-firmware.zip
replace fixup.dat? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
  inflating: fixup.dat               
  inflating: fixup4.dat              
  inflating: fixup4cd.dat            
  inflating: fixup4db.dat            
  inflating: fixup4x.dat             
  inflating: fixup_cd.dat            
  inflating: fixup_db.dat            
  inflating: fixup_x.dat             
  inflating: start.elf               
  inflating: start4.elf              
  inflating: start4cd.elf            
  inflating: start4db.elf            
  inflating: start4x.elf             
  inflating: start_cd.elf            
  inflating: start_db.elf            
  inflating: start_x.elf             
[root@pi boot]# 
remmina emerge was smooth too.

demouser@pi64 ~ $  uname -a
Linux pi64 5.4.45-v8-3b41649ff96d-p4-bis+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 16 14:11:43 GMT 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux
demouser@pi64 ~ $ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    1 29.2G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    1  255M  0 part /boot
└─sda2   8:2    1 28.9G  0 part /
demouser@pi64 ~ $ free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          3.7Gi       389Mi       2.2Gi       172Mi       1.0Gi       3.1Gi
Swap:         1.0Gi          0B       1.0Gi
demouser@pi64 ~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        28G  9.9G   18G  37% /
devtmpfs         10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           375M  964K  374M   1% /run
cgroup_root      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm             1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1       255M   70M  185M  28% /boot
tmpfs           375M   16K  375M   1% /run/user/1000
demouser@pi64 ~ $ 

:D

Local copy of remote index is up-to-date and will be used.

Local copy of remote index is up-to-date and will be used.
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Emerging binary (1 of 3) app-admin/usbimager-1.0.4::sakaki-tools
>>> Installing (1 of 3) app-admin/usbimager-1.0.4::sakaki-tools
>>> Emerging binary (2 of 3) dev-perl/Text-CSV_XS-1.340.0::gentoo
>>> Installing (2 of 3) dev-perl/Text-CSV_XS-1.340.0::gentoo
>>> Emerging binary (3 of 3) dev-perl/Text-CSV-1.950.0::gentoo
>>> Installing (3 of 3) dev-perl/Text-CSV-1.950.0::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 3 of 3 complete                           Load avg: 2.19, 2.09, 1.91
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* Phase completed in 96s
* Run completed in 883s = 786s (emptytree) + 1s (filter) + 96s (emerge)
* All done!
* emtee run completed successfully!
:D :D

geev03

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:56 am

https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=819f972d3a

pi64 ~ # emerge --ask sys-apps/hw-probe

echo "sys-apps/hw-probe * ~*" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/hw-probe
	echo "sys-apps/edid-decode * ~*" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/edid-decode
	echo "sys-apps/hwinfo * ~*" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/hwinfo
emerge --ask sys-apps/hw-probe

pi64 ~ # hw-probe -all -upload

emouser@pi64 ~/Downloads/neofetch-master $ ./neofetch 
         -/oyddmdhs+:.                demouser@pi64 
     -odNMMMMMMMMNNmhy+-`             ------------- 
   -yNMMMMMMMMMMMNNNmmdhy+-           OS: Gentoo Base System release 2.7 aarch6 
 `omMMMMMMMMMMMMNmdmmmmddhhy/`        Host: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 
 omMMMMMMMMMMMNhhyyyohmdddhhhdo`      Kernel: 5.4.45-v8-3b41649ff96d-p4-bis+ 
.ydMMMMMMMMMMdhs++so/smdddhhhhdm+`    Uptime: 3 hours, 43 mins 
 oyhdmNMMMMMMMNdyooydmddddhhhhyhNd.   Packages: 1214 (emerge) 
  :oyhhdNNMMMMMMMNNNmmdddhhhhhyymMh   Shell: bash 5.0.17 
    .:+sydNMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhhmMmy   Resolution: 1920x1080 
       /mMMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhmMNhs:   Terminal: /dev/pts/6 
    `oNMMMMMMMNNNmmmddddhhdmMNhs+`    CPU: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz 
  `sNMMMMMMMMNNNmmmdddddmNMmhs/.      Memory: 1382MiB / 3743MiB 
 /NMMMMMMMMNNNNmmmdddmNMNdso:`
+MMMMMMMNNNNNmmmmdmNMNdso/-                                   
yMMNNNNNNNmmmmmNNMmhs+/-`                                     
/hMMNNNNNNNNMNdhs++/-`
`/ohdmmddhys+++/:.`
  `-//////:--.

demouser@pi64 ~/Downloads/neofetch-master $ 

Last edited by geev03 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gazzy

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am

Hey

So I’m trying to setup USB boot
And I have the boot loader done

I want to copy my sd card install of gentoo
To my hard drive but gentoo doesn’t have
Sd card copier installed.

Does anyone know the emerge for sd card copier On gentoo ???

Or can I clone the entire card with terminal commands.

I’m still looking it up, but didn’t want to start
New with a fresh image

Thanks for any help

Gaz

Return to “Gentoo”