jbobfunky

Re: Pi 4 4GB- Wifi not working when resolution is set too high

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:40 am

Ok.. following up.

So moving the Raspberry Pi 4 to a place in my house away from all other electronics did not work. The problem still persists. Looks like it connects but no internet. Nothing will load in the browser. Getting really frustrated. I simply do not understand the problem, especially when all other devices, including the RPi 3 connects no problem, and that the RPi4 connected fine 3 weeks ago.. Just doesn't make any sense and it's seriously killin' the vibe here. It's like chasing a ghost! I'm gonna try another monitor and I'll report when tried.

Any other guidance on what I should be doing is super appreciated, I would love to help solve this problem. I'm sure other cats are experiencing this. Thanks for reading, helping and your time!

-Perplexed
jbobfunky
~ jbobfunky

revx

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:51 am

I also have problem with wifi.
Wifi freezes if I activate usb 3 camera (intel realsense f200), while work wifi only receive traffic, but cant send to access point.
But this is not camera problem, activate usb 3 tpu (intel myriad ncs2), also block wifi until device (camera or tpu active).
I think all problems in the power.

raspberrytechguy

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:22 am

When the Pi4 just came out, I did read a bit about how some select boards had WiFi fail at some resolutions...

heavenblest

Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Try accessing your router configuration and changing the channel until the rpi is able to connect. After successfully connecting, you can switch it back to you preferred channel.

This works for me when I'm experiencing this issue on rpi 3b+.

areslagae

Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:51 am

Hi,

I am having similar issues with my new rpi4 8 Gb model.

WiFi does not work when using my monitor at its native resolution of 1920 x 1080. This renders my new rpi4 basically useless, which is quite a disappointment.

Can this problem even be solved? This seems like a hardware issue.

Code: Select all

Monitor being used.
Dell P2419H

Resolution being used.
1920 x 1080, 60 Hz

EDID as supplied by the monitor (`tvservice -d edid.bin` then `base64 edid.bin`, then cut and paste the result to here)

AP///////wAQrNrQTEZFMh4eAQOANR546gVlp1ZSnCcPUFSlSwBxT4GAqcDRwAEBAQEBAQEBAjqA
GHE4LUBYLEUADyghAAAeAAAA/wBKV1M1SzQzCiAgICAgAAAA/ABERUxMIFAyNDE5SAogAAAA/QA4
TB5TEQAKICAgICAgAfYCAxexTJAFBAMCBxYBFB8SE2UDDAAQAAI6gBhxOC1AWCxFAA8oIQAAHgEd
gBhxHBYgWCwlAA8oIQAAngEdAHJR0B4gbihVAA8oIQAAHowK0Iog4C0QED6WAA8oIQAAGAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPQ==

`vcgencmd version`

Nov 30 2020 22:12:08 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version ab1181cc0cb6df52bfae3b1d3fef0ce7c325166c (clean) (release) (start)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:08 am

areslagae wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:51 am
Hi,

I am having similar issues with my new rpi4 8 Gb model.

WiFi does not work when using my monitor at its native resolution of 1920 x 1080. This renders my new rpi4 basically useless, which is quite a disappointment.

Can this problem even be solved? This seems like a hardware issue.

Code: Select all

Monitor being used.
Dell P2419H

Resolution being used.
1920 x 1080, 60 Hz

EDID as supplied by the monitor (`tvservice -d edid.bin` then `base64 edid.bin`, then cut and paste the result to here)

AP///////wAQrNrQTEZFMh4eAQOANR546gVlp1ZSnCcPUFSlSwBxT4GAqcDRwAEBAQEBAQEBAjqA
GHE4LUBYLEUADyghAAAeAAAA/wBKV1M1SzQzCiAgICAgAAAA/ABERUxMIFAyNDE5SAogAAAA/QA4
TB5TEQAKICAgICAgAfYCAxexTJAFBAMCBxYBFB8SE2UDDAAQAAI6gBhxOC1AWCxFAA8oIQAAHgEd
gBhxHBYgWCwlAA8oIQAAngEdAHJR0B4gbihVAA8oIQAAHowK0Iog4C0QED6WAA8oIQAAGAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPQ==

`vcgencmd version`

Nov 30 2020 22:12:08 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version ab1181cc0cb6df52bfae3b1d3fef0ce7c325166c (clean) (release) (start)
It's very odd that it is going wrong at that resolution - works fine for the majority. I wonder if you HDMI cable is very badly shielded? Have you tried a different one? Or are you using a normal cable with an HDMI-uHDMI adapter?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

areslagae

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 pm

A quick follow-up to the post above:

Based on some more quick experiments I did, the problem seems to be a combination of weak WiFi signal strength and HDMI interference. I am not experiencing a complete WiFi lock-up at a specific HDMI resolution, but according to my experiments the presence of an HDMI cable does negatively affect WiFi performance (tested by comparing WiFi transfer speeds with and withouth HDMI cable plugged in) and this effect is dependent on the HDMI resolution. In my specific case, a larger HDMI resolution seemed to result in a larger degree of HDMI interference which could in combination with the weak WiFi signal strength explain why WiFI still worked at 800x600 but not at 1920x1080. I was using a FSU branded micro HDMI to HDMI cable but I wil purchase an official HDMI cable and retest.

Moving to a location with strong WiFi signal strength seems to solve the problem. The HDMI interference is still present but the WiFi still works. This might seem silly and obvious in retrospect, but in the original testing location my other WiFI devices (multiple laptops and smartphones) work just fine.

Also, another problem surfaced. Even in a location with strong WiFi signal strength, inserting an USB flash drive in the Raspberry Pi in every case kills the WiFi connection. Inserting the USB flash drive in the USB hub of the monitor does not.

So the weirdness continues.

Maybe this points to an issue with the power supply? I am using a 60W Apple USB-C power supply, so that should be sufficient. Except of course if there are issues with PD negociation? The board is an 8GB RPi 4, I thought that these were never affected by the USB-C issue?

cleverca22

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:54 pm

areslagae wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 pm
Maybe this points to an issue with the power supply? I am using a 60W Apple USB-C power supply, so that should be sufficient. Except of course if there are issues with PD negociation? The board is an 8GB RPi 4, I thought that these were never affected by the USB-C issue?
no pi model is capable of PD negotiation, so it will just be permanently stuck at 5v, which cant do the full 60 watts

the problem the early pi4 models, was that the PSU wouldnt output anything at all, rather then any noise it might cause

Return to “Troubleshooting”