LEESPG

One button Timestamp label

Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm

I have to tell you I'm so new to this that this may be a really dumb question so please forgive me.

I was given a gen 2 version of the board and a Dymo 400 turbo label printer and was asked if I could create a push button time stamp label. It seemed feasible so I installed the latest version or Rasbian, CUPS, the printer driver and I am able to print a test page with no issue. I created a test text file and saved it to the documents folder.

The next step was to open a terminal session and per instruction just type lp test and enter. What I get is a message that says lp error - unable to access "test" No such file or directory. I tried adding the full path but get the same basic message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

deepo

Re: One button Timestamp label

Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 pm

LEESPG

Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 pm

I saw that too. It's exactly what I'm trying to do but I have to get past a simple print command first.

rpdom

Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am

Presumably your current directory is not the one that the file "test" is in.

What does

Code: Select all

ls -l test
show?
Unreadable squiggle

LEESPG

Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm

It returns, ls: cannot access 'test': No such file or directory.

Your comment about the directory got me thinking and although I haven't quite figured out how to type it the CD cmd seems to be the key.

If I type DIR I see the home directories, Documents, Music, Videos...

How do I change to the Documents dir? What I reading online is more confusing than the DOS I'm used to.

Thanks for your help.

LEESPG

Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 pm

I just got a label, I'm so excited. I thought to look at the file properties for some reason and noticed the right click Copy Path(s) option. Dropped that after the lp cmd and out it came.

Now comes the hard stuff. From what I gather, when the button is pressed I have to make a jpg file of the time and date and then print the jpg. If you have any insight there I'd love to hear it. Bushwhacking is not a great passtime.

deepo

Thu May 21, 2020 8:42 pm

All you need appears to be there, if you follow the links in the description of the video.
https://github.com/yokoyama-flogics/dym ... mp_printer

It says:
gen_datetime_label: Sub-program, to generate label image, which is called by printdatetime_server.

/Mogens

Return to “Troubleshooting”