onegin

Installing new games

Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Greetings,

This is my first time using Raspbian and I am having difficulty getting new games installed on my Raspbian X OS on my Raspberry Pi 4.

When I open the terminal and use the sudo apt-get install gamename it does not work and I've tried sourcing several different titles with no success, it simply tells me that it is unable to locate the package. I thought using this script it would download the relevant files and install the game, I'm sure this is just a noob mistake and I'm overlooking a critical step, please advise. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get a few more games on my Pi 4 for Raspbian X so my boys can play some of the Linux games that I used to play on my Ubuntu setup. Thanks for your time.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing new games

Thu May 14, 2020 12:03 pm

onegin wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm
Greetings,

This is my first time using Raspbian and I am having difficulty getting new games installed on my Raspbian X OS on my Raspberry Pi 4.

When I open the terminal and use the sudo apt-get install gamename it does not work and I've tried sourcing several different titles with no success, it simply tells me that it is unable to locate the package. I thought using this script it would download the relevant files and install the game, I'm sure this is just a noob mistake and I'm overlooking a critical step, please advise. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get a few more games on my Pi 4 for Raspbian X so my boys can play some of the Linux games that I used to play on my Ubuntu setup. Thanks for your time.

Your Ubuntu setup is likely on a machine with x86 CPU Architecture..

..the Raspberry Pi is ARM CPU Architecture !

This forum has a Section relating to Gaming:

viewforum.php?f=78
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

klricks

Thu May 14, 2020 1:57 pm

You can use a Package Manager to search and see if whatever game or application is available in the Raspbian repository.
A basic PM is installed in Raspbian in [Menu] --> [Preferences] --> [Add / Remove Software]

A better PM can be installed: Synaptic

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install synaptic
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Phoenixbyrd

Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm

What are you specifically having trouble installing? It's possible the game doesn't exist in the repo's and that's why it's not working or you aren't using the correct package name to install it. More information and specifics will make it easier to help.

talraash

Thu May 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Raspbian X OS
It's unofficial image with built in box86. Use native games compile for arm or if you want commercial linux games for x86 buy it on gog, humble bundle etc. But compatibility with box86 not guaranteed.

bfready

Mon May 18, 2020 12:30 am

Hi, onegin.

Do you have a particular game you are trying to install?
There are some games in the package manager provided in Raspbian, but they aren't that great.

If you have a particular game in mind, there may be a thread explaining how to install it.

AidanLCB

Sun May 24, 2020 11:09 pm

One of the best and most complete games that works on the raspberry pi is minetest (minetest.net) if you like minecraft. you can install it with sudo apt install minetest however this will be outdated, if you want to play on most servers you will have to follow the instructions at https://github.com/minetest/minetest in the readme file. It runs great on the raspberry pi 4, I have the 4gb ram model but it should work fine on any of them.

Moonmarch

Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 am

Raspbian-X questions should be directed to the Raspbian-X forums, if there is a forum. If there is a GitHub website that hosts the Raspbian-X source, you would be able to ask questions about Raspbian-X in the GitHub website. You add a new issue request on the Raspbian-X GitHub website, and you would wait for answers to the questions. You can always consider modifying the source list file, that is how Linux finds files to install on the computer. If the programs, in this scenario we are after video games, if the game is not in the repository that is listed in the source.list file. You will not be able to install the program. To add programs to Linux OS, you either add repository links in the source.list file or you compile the program from source.

If Raspbian-X is not your meeting expectations, then consider using Raspbian Buster. You are here in the RPI gaming forums, there are plenty of guides to read that will show you how to run games on the RPI computer. The term games can mean anything, snake eats apples for points, I don't know. Tetris clones, yes there are Tetris clones you can play on Linux, you need to know which programs to install. You can download a Linux software package for a game from a website, install the package, and see what happens.

Return to “Gaming”