phil_rouge

Reused SD Card

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 pm

I have format a 4 Gigas SD card to try my raspeberry Pi, but now I want to use this SD card with my APN.
But now when I use this SD Card I have 60 Mega Octet free not 4 gigas !?
I can't reformat to 4 gigas, I try some utility like testdisk or EasySecureEraser.exe but nothing ... :x

Perhaps there is an utility to format correctly this SD Card ?

Thank's for your respons.

drgeoff

Re: Reused SD Card

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Some options:

1. If you have a digital camera which takes SDHC cards, try using it to format the card.

2. With a USB card reader and a Windows PC. I haven't progressed beyond XP but I expect Vista and 7 have the same capability somewhere. Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Then from the 'Storage' tree click on 'Disk Management'. In the lower part of the right hand side you should see your SD card somewhere as eg 'Disk 3 Removable (E:)' . To the right of that will be rectangles representing the partitions on the SD card. Ensure you are on the correct line for the SD card! Then right click on one of the partitions and select 'Delete partition'. Confirm and do the same for the remaining partitions. Then right click again and select 'Format'. Always ensure you are on the correct line for the SD card!

Jim JKla

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am

Doesn't the camera option sound easier? :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Burngate

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 am

Jim JKla wrote:Doesn't the camera option sound easier? :D
Only if you've got a camera ;)

BobCottis

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 pm

I had the same problem, and tried both a camera (which seemed confused) and the Windows Computer Manager. The latter deleted the main partition, but wouldn't delete the first patition. I evenutally succeded using EasUS Partition Manager (free Home Edition), which deleted the first partition and then created a new partition on the whole card. I expect Parted or Gparted on Linux would also do it, but I don't have an accessible Linux machine :(

Bob

JeremyF

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

RaTTuS

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

or use fdisk from within linux
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jim JKla

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm

A good bet if you don't have a digital camera with an SD card slot. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

phil_rouge

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Jim JKla wrote:Doesn't the camera option sound easier? :D

Yes of course, but ma konica dont see anything than the 65 mo partition ! not all the capacity.

I've tried to delete partition with manage menu but I can't delete the partition...

Thank's for all respons to my problem ;)

drgeoff

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:01 am

phil_rouge wrote:
Yes of course, but ma konica dont see anything than the 65 mo partition ! not all the capacity.

I've tried to delete partition with manage menu but I can't delete the partition...
Yes it will only see the 65 Mbyte FAT partition on the card as is. But have you actually formatted the card with the Konica? (TBH my knowledge is rather hazy as to whether Konica ever made cameras that took SDHC cards. Their exit from the camera business was around the same time as the introduction of SDHC.)

If you are using a more recent Windows than XP, perhaps you need to have Administrator rights to delete partitions.

Jim JKla

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 am

drgeoff wrote:If you are using a more recent Windows than XP, perhaps you need to have Administrator rights to delete partitions.
Leaning some new swear words helps or so I am informed, particularly strong ones needed for Vista(spit) ;)

Dweeber

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am

JeremyF wrote:Or you can use SD formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
I've used this a couple times with success.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Return to “Troubleshooting”