demonmaestro

RPIServers to try out!

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:45 am

*Not quite sure where to put this*

I am part of Data Ideas LLC. but we are offering Raspberry Pi Servers for Monthly lease.
These are PI 4s with the 4GB of RAM!
We got both 16GB and 256GB available.
The SD Cards are SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-I.
Unmetered Bandwidth but try to keep your sustained bandwidth to 50Mbps-100Mbps or less.
We are based out of Spring, Texas.
Want to Ping a PI? PingAPi.RpiServers.com

Only for $5 for the 16GB and $7.50 for the 256GB.

https://www.RpiServers.com

demonmaestro

Re: RPIServers to try out!

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:16 am

All these views on here and no comments. :?

ejolson

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:39 am

demonmaestro wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:16 am
All these views on here and no comments. :?
In the thread entitled A Pi Pie Chart, the Raspberry Pi 4B was compared to the Amazon ARM Graviton hardware and
ejolson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 am
In order to figure out how much per hour to charge my little brother for using the Pi 4B, I calculated

0.102 * 28 / 50

to obtain US$ 0.05712 per hour.
Now, multiplying

0.05712 * 24 * 30

obtains US$ 41.13 per month for price performance parity with a 4-core ARM instance in the EC2 cloud based on processor speed neglecting RAM and storage. Thus, your prices of $5/month and $7.50/month seem reasonable.

Are there guarantees on uptime?

Are there remote administration tools for rebooting, reimaging, backing up and restoring an OS image?

Is there any network attached storage that can be accessed from the Pi?

demonmaestro

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:46 am

ejolson wrote: Are there guarantees on uptime? Not at this moment. Most of all systems are redundant however nothing is 100% guarantee up. Even Amazon cannot claim 100% up time. :shock: Since I've put the RPIs at the DataCenter I've only had one outage due to a fiber cut. (Dump truck took out the telephone pole.) Information about the DC is in the FAQ section "Where are you located?"

Are there remote administration tools for rebooting, reimaging, backing up and restoring an OS image? As of right now. No. If you want to do a HARD reboot you will need to submit a ticket in. Reimaging will be a manual process as the RPIs are running off the SD cards.

Is there any network attached storage that can be accessed from the Pi? I am working on a solution for that. Coming soon.
I am always open to new ideas and welcome to suggestions on how to do things. :)

ejolson

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:43 pm

demonmaestro wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:46 am
ejolson wrote: Are there guarantees on uptime? Not at this moment. Most of all systems are redundant however nothing is 100% guarantee up. Even Amazon cannot claim 100% up time. :shock: Since I've put the RPIs at the DataCenter I've only had one outage due to a fiber cut. (Dump truck took out the telephone pole.) Information about the DC is in the FAQ section "Where are you located?"

Are there remote administration tools for rebooting, reimaging, backing up and restoring an OS image? As of right now. No. If you want to do a HARD reboot you will need to submit a ticket in. Reimaging will be a manual process as the RPIs are running off the SD cards.

Is there any network attached storage that can be accessed from the Pi? I am working on a solution for that. Coming soon.
I am always open to new ideas and welcome to suggestions on how to do things. :)
The main data center located near here is called The Citadel.

https://www.switch.com/the-citadel/

That might be too much even for a nicely rack-mounted collection of Pi.

In these days of social distancing it may suddenly become impossible to make regular on-premise visits. The way I would do it would be to run the Pi computers without SD cards network booted from a file server that had good IPMI for remote management. Then, the only thing needed to manage the Pi would be a remote way to power cycle them.

There are many ideas to design such a system. How does your hardware setup currently look?

demonmaestro

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:05 pm

The nice thing is the DC I am at is manned 24/7 So even with their being on physical sd cards. There is still someone there to swap them out when needed.
I will be testing out a network booting version depending on how well this does?
So far it's not going as well as I thought it would. :?

ejolson

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:20 pm

demonmaestro wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:05 pm
The nice thing is the DC I am at is manned 24/7 So even with their being on physical sd cards. There is still someone there to swap them out when needed.
I will be testing out a network booting version depending on how well this does?
So far it's not going as well as I thought it would. :?
I would mount root on an iSCSI network block device because of the reported problems with Docker on NFS.

demonmaestro

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Thank you for the heads up. :D
As far as the server goes all storage will be "local" meaning built into the server.
I have a SSD Storage server I am working on for use on something like this as well.

drushtx

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:26 am

Happy to help out. In Spring, TX also.

demonmaestro

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am

drushtx wrote:
I guess we can't send out PMs here. Send me an email. Would like to find out all that you know.
Josh.Roberts@DataIdeas.com

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 am

Mythic Beasts (who also host all the Raspberry PI web sites) do Pi3's in the cloud - https://www.mythic-beasts.com/order/rpi
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

demonmaestro

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:10 am

6by9 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 am
Mythic Beasts (who also host all the Raspberry PI web sites) do Pi3's in the cloud - https://www.mythic-beasts.com/order/rpi
You raining on my parade? :lol:
Well now there is someone in the states that is doing it as well. :D
Now between me and Mystic Beasts we got the world covered!

B.Goode

Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:19 am

demonmaestro wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:36 am
drushtx wrote:
I guess we can't send out PMs here. Send me an email. Would like to find out all that you know.
Josh.Roberts@DataIdeas.com

No guessing needed. It is a stated policy for the administration of these forums. See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=214084&p=1318118

drushtx

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Sent message last night. Copy/pasted your address. Hope it didn't bounce. Haven't heard back yet (but it is Sunday morning here). Take your time, just wanted you to know that I responded in case there was a typo.

demonmaestro

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 am

drushtx wrote: Sent message last night. Copy/pasted your address. Hope it didn't bounce. Haven't heard back yet (but it is Sunday morning here). Take your time, just wanted you to know that I responded in case there was a typo.
I had gotten your message.
Sorry for the delay.
Can't wait to pick your mind on some things.
I've been part of tinkering with the RPI since the PI 1.
Used them for all kinds of things. Even as a webcam streamer back in 2013.

demonmaestro

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am

Anyone else know where would be a good place to give this more views for those that want to tinker with a Pi but don't want to buy one yet?

ejolson

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 am

demonmaestro wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am
Anyone else know where would be a good place to give this more views for those that want to tinker with a Pi but don't want to buy one yet?
Would your local newspaper carry a story about how a local company has found a way to help people learn about network computing by creating a way for them to experiment with the world's smallest Internet server?

I suspect most customers would want a way to instantly provision their Pi with an image through a clunky web interface similar to the Amazon EC2 cloud and make backups before they spend much time on a Pi in a data center. Also, the customer I would imagine has already done the tinkering at home with their own Pi and now wants one on the network.

You might also try replying to the person who made the original post in the thread

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=271755

matthewr

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm

ejolson wrote:

What an extremely odd company. Is it a joke? A scam? For a start, the "executive team" headshots are clearly renders not actual photos.

ejolson

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:37 am

matthewr wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm
ejolson wrote:

What an extremely odd company. Is it a joke? A scam? For a start, the "executive team" headshots are clearly renders not actual photos.
Welcome to the forum!

Switch is a bit weird. They have donated space for a small cluster used where I work (108 nodes connected by the unfortunate choice of Intel Omni-Path).

Switch also has a facility in Italy:

https://www.switch.com/italia

It's one of those leave your cellphone in a box before entering type of places with security guards that actively patrol the land outside. I'm not sure whether the video was produced using 3D rendering before the facility was finished or if real pictures are omitted as part of the ever popular security by obscurity.

CrustyCoder

Re: RPIServers to try out! Questions

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 am

Hi. What's the cooling situation on these Raspberry Pi 4's you have in the cloud. Are they likely to throttle? if not do you support overclocking?
I would plan on using these for hobbyist applications like AI projects or Math Programs (like from Project Euler) so downtime would not affect me as much.

Can you VNC to these pi's?

Is it possible to rent multiple and run a Cluster Pi configuration like OctoPi.

In the case of a abut downtime is there a chance that SD card data could be corrupted?

One final question, would your pi servers support running a 24/7 java mine craft server. There is a very good balena cloud image for raspberry pi that allows a full java mine-craft server to be run on these small machines. Can your service provide all the required port forwarding and such to allow players not on the same internet to play?

ps - the tutorial for balena OS mine-craft server is https://www.balena.io/blog/how-to-creat ... th-balena/

demonmaestro

Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 am

CrustyCoder wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:48 am
Hi. What's the cooling situation on these Raspberry Pi 4's you have in the cloud. Are they likely to throttle? if not do you support overclocking?
I would plan on using these for hobbyist applications like AI projects or Math Programs (like from Project Euler) so downtime would not affect me as much.

Can you VNC to these pi's?

Is it possible to rent multiple and run a Cluster Pi configuration like OctoPi.

In the case of a abut downtime is there a chance that SD card data could be corrupted?

One final question, would your pi servers support running a 24/7 java mine craft server. There is a very good balena cloud image for raspberry pi that allows a full java mine-craft server to be run on these small machines. Can your service provide all the required port forwarding and such to allow players not on the same internet to play?

ps - the tutorial for balena OS mine-craft server is https://www.balena.io/blog/how-to-creat ... th-balena/
-Cooling: See attached picture. 7 Delta 50CFM 8000RPM fans blowing full tilt over the RPIs. (Please forgive the wiring in the background. Was during installing.)
-Right now they have Rasbian loaded up (non Desktop). Depending how many you get we can work out something for you on custom IMG files or different OS's
-You can rent out as many as available.
-I am using SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC UHS-I cards. To help on cards lasting.
-The RPIs are fully open. Only mail ports are blocked by default (to combat spam)

IDK why I didn't see a notification of a post on here. :shock:
Attachments
IMG_20200301_005630.jpg
IMG_20200301_005630.jpg (189.5 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

ejolson

Mon May 11, 2020 7:50 pm

demonmaestro wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 am
IDK why I didn't see a notification of a post on here. :shock:
Notifications are turned off by default and need to be enabled by what I think is a thread by thread basis. When editing a post there is an options menu the last entry of which is

[ x ] Notify me when a reply is posted.

that needs to be selected.

In my opinion, given the switch to social distancing and telecommuting, there is likely to be an increase in people who want to set up small servers--both as customised business platforms and as ways to learn how to manage larger servers. For this reason I suggest that you make administering the Pi as similar to setting up an EC2 instance as possible, of course without infringing.

While the days of the one-click patent are hopefully long gone, it is astonishing how much nonsense-based damage a large company can cause to a smaller one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Click

demonmaestro

Mon May 11, 2020 8:41 pm

I am working on a easier option.
Although as much as I would like to have anything instant. It will open up the service to major abuse from spammers.
As far as Admin stuff/OS things. I too want to see it more automated.
Kinda bad part is standard VPS is much more powerful/cheaper than say a dedicated RPI.

ejolson

Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 am

demonmaestro wrote:
Although as much as I would like to have anything instant. It will open up the service to major abuse from spammers.
Kinda bad part is standard VPS is much more powerful/cheaper than say a dedicated RPI.
I'm not sure how making it possible to remotely reboot a machine and make backups would increase abuse from spammers. I can see, however, that just having a valid credit card may not be enough to vet potential customers.

I looked at a couple VPS vendors and found the rate
  • US $5/month gets one CPU with 1GB RAM and 25GB storage.
It would seem to me a Pi 4 at the same price provides four CPU cores and 4GB of RAM. While an SD card doesn't provide the kind of storage as even the cheapest NAS, the gigabit networking on a 4B at least makes reliable network storage a possibility. There is also the advantage that single-tenant hardware has over a virtual machine in terms of security and guaranteed performance.

For me the problem isn't with the Pi or the price, but my desire to have a clunky web interface like the EC2 cloud that allows me start, stop, backup and reset the boot image for the Pi on demand remotely within minutes.

demonmaestro

Wed May 13, 2020 5:32 am

ejolson wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:33 am
demonmaestro wrote:
I'm not sure how making it possible to remotely reboot a machine and make backups would increase abuse from spammers. I can see, however, that just having a valid credit card may not be enough to vet potential customers.

I looked at a couple VPS vendors and found the rate
  • US $5/month gets one CPU with 1GB RAM and 25GB storage.
It would seem to me a Pi 4 at the same price provides four CPU cores and 4GB of RAM. While an SD card doesn't provide the kind of storage as even the cheapest NAS, the gigabit networking on a 4B at least makes reliable network storage a possibility. There is also the advantage that single-tenant hardware has over a virtual machine in terms of security and guaranteed performance.

For me the problem isn't with the Pi or the price, but my desire to have a clunky web interface like the EC2 cloud that allows me start, stop, backup and reset the boot image for the Pi on demand remotely within minutes.
Remotely reboot or making backups I agree wouldn't make for abuse. I was talking about instant activation.
https://aliendata.com is my VPS company. we provide shared and dedicated cores starting at $1.50.
I agree that it does need an interface to better work with them.
Takes time to design a system that will work.
We will do whatever we have to to make things work for you though.

Return to “For sale”