eharvey

Re: C64 emulator

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:47 pm

That did the trick! Thanks for all the help! Is that a fix that can be made available in the repo for everyone?

Frank Buss

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 am

It is planned, but the Raspbian team can't say when it will be integrated:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&start=78

AreaScout

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi

This is fullscreen :) hw-scaled to 1920x1080 using SDL build and modified opengl render

carl_retrotext

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 pm

nice one! it look cool.

this was my one, but I have improved the screen even more since then.

AreaScout

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:01 pm

great, are you running the emulator from terminal or under x-server ?

i run it without x-server on raspbmc and get really good performance even with resid sound emulation enabled

rg

carl_retrotext

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm

I run both of mine with startx, vice wont run without it, the sound cracks when you give the pi something hard to do like move a mouse while commando is belting out on the tv! but I can live with this.

I am making a video on how I used two separate boots to run both these emuls in a nice aspect ratio, it may help others to use their too.

jackokring

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Does it use joystick input yet, 'cos I can see problems playing 'Way of the exploding fist' if it doesn't, never mind 'boulderdash'. :D
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

AreaScout

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

@carl_retrotext

that would be cool, i did a video showing vice in action :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGazQDVwP9g

AreaScout

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 pm

@jackokring

lol 'Way of the exploding fist' and 'boulderdash' !! one of the best games ever :) i didn't test with joystick yet coz i do not have one, but if the SDL version of vice does support it ( and i am totaly sure about that )
then it should also.

RG

carl_retrotext

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:42 pm

AreaScout wrote:@carl_retrotext

that would be cool, i did a video showing vice in action :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGazQDVwP9g
Ha, great minds and all that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHp-7Rmt ... e=youtu.be

I am still to update my blog, that will have to be tomorrow, just watching your vid now :D

[ edit ]

just watched it, nice! its very smooth and runs quicker than mine by the looks of it, how do you get it to work outside x?

AreaScout

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:44 pm

you have to checkout the sources of vice, then configure with --enable-sdlui and --with-sdlsound and build it maybe it runs out of the box for your video configuration but i had to modifiy the opengl part to do so.

RG

Justin72

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm waiting for Ultima IV!!

AreaScout

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:30 am

Hi

I have decided to make my project to the public later on, now that i have added some command line parameters for aspect ratio and vsync. yesterday i did some test with my PS3 controller using it as joystick via usb, the device is recognized by the kernel and i could map the axes in vice but after a while udev and the kernel complains things and it crashed, maybe this is because there are 27 axis in the controller and each of them is analog. but there are thousands of tutorials out in the web to manage this, even with bluetooth pairing, i do not own a regular usb joystick nor the competition pro usb to make more tests.

all of my tests i did on raspbmc distri and on HDMI output, but i see no reason why it shouldn't work on composite and raspian too.

the emulation works quite fast and you have a lot of tunning option to find your best performance, only the c64dtv eats the most CPU time thought, but one could improve this via frame controll and disable the resid emulation.

my changes are 'quick and dirty' normaly this should be done in SDL, one could port opengles or openvg to SDL or write a wrapper library for it, this of course would bring a ton of emulators to the raspberry.

rg

AreaScout

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:17 pm

there it is:

http://www.areascout.at/vice-emu-rpi.zip

the zip file contains a deb package and the source code modifications, befor installing with

Code: Select all

dpkg -i vice_2.3.20-1_armhf.deb
you should get the library dependency with

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev alsa-utils
to get audio output do this:

sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835
you can switch from HDMI to Audio jack or vice versa with

amixer cset numid=3 1    ---> Audiojack
amixer cset numid=3 2    ---> HDMI

each of the binarys has new command line switches

-rpivsync (enable) keep in sync with the refresh rate of the TV/Monitor
+rpivsync (disable) default

-rpiaspect (enable) keep original aspect ratio from emulator
+rpiaspect (disbale) default

to start the emulator, just type this:

x64 -sdlbitdepth 32
the sdlbitdepth command line option is a must for all emulators in the package
all my tests are made on HDMI output with 1080p24, if you do not have this settings i suggest to use this resolution if you have vsync enabled
you can find a tool (tvservice) for this in on github, you can clone it with this command:

git clone git://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git
after that you will find the tool in ~\firmware\hardfp\opt\vc\bin
on an running emulator you can call the vice menu with F12
there are hundreds of options to play with it, soundemulation is done default by resid which is very accurate but cost a lot of cpu time, you can
switch to 'FastSID' if you encounter a performence problem

if you want to build vice from source you should do this ( i used revision 26019 for this build )

svn checkout -r 26019 https://vice-emu.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vice-emu/trunk/vice vice-emu

./autogen.sh

./configure --withsdlui 
after that overwrite the souce and Makefile with files from zip archive and type

make 
RG

carl_retrotext

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Thats really cool, thanks for sharing. :)

AreaScout

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:39 am

Hi

No problem, yesterday i did a install of raspbian and tested vice on it, after edit my config.txt file to output 1080p24 ( because on 1080p60 the screen becomes black sporadically ), i found out that my ps3 controller works out of the box on it, i don't know what raspbmc have done with the joy device, but on raspbian it works -> the bad thing is that the joystick refresh slows down the preformance of vice drastically :(((( I had to overclock the rpi to get a barley exeptable performance.

How about you ? didi you test it ? you are using an external hardware for the joystick ist the performance better for you ?

carl_retrotext

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 am

Sorry, I have not tried your method yet, I am using the composite outs not HDMI.

I have had no trouble with using a standard 8 bit joystick plugged into the Keyrah, getting to 5th dan on exploding fist all over again!

AreaScout

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Not ?? I saw you restless 24 hours nonstop testing with black borders underneath your eyes :lol:

finaly all is set on my configuration and i test it also on composite ( it works too ), joystick is also working now on both raspbmc and raspbian ( i shouldn't plug in joystick when booting raspbmc from harddisk ). and 1080p60 works smoothly with 50fps and overclocking cpu 850, gpu 350,and core to 400.
setting up for autostart on raspbmc instead of xbmc and voila -> my own c64 ready to replay :)

not so cool like yours, but maybe i find a defekt c64 too !

AreaScout

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all

Recently i did a update of vice and fixed/added the following things:

. xvic (VC20) did not work, maybe other emus too
. re-enabled double size support + double scan ( default off )
. the -sdlbitdepth switch is not needed anymore just a simble ( x64 ) or whatever emu you would like to run will do it
. re-enabled render filter ( CRT + Scale2x ) -> brings a nice retro look to your TV/Monitor ( default off )
. update to svn rev 26126

http://www.areascout.at/vice-emu-rpi-2.3.21.zip

overclocking is needed to get the most cpu intesive games to run smoothly, but i work on a version that maybe do not need overclocking -> we will see

have fun

juju

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm

hi it is now possible to run multiple console only through VICE thanks
My Raspberry Pi 1218 week :) and go home 25/05/12 :)

SB2020

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:10 am

Hi, Bunch of NOOB questions here... :)
I thought it would be fun to play some c64 games on the pi and have managed to install VICE (note I've never even used VICE/x64 before).
My biggest issue is that it launches fullscreen and I can't work out how to access emulator option or quit, I'm have to ssh in and reboot :oops:
How do I do that? F keys and alt-d/alt-enter don't work...
Alternatively I tried starting from within x, but it also goes fullscreen. How do I prevent that?

I did manage to grab a .tap file and launch it from the command line (Iridis Alpha - class game!) and it loads, but again I can't figure how to start a game. :oops: :oops:
"Press Fire" the splash tells me, but I don't know what fire is! Is it possible to play the games from keyboard or do I need a joystick??

Last of all and crucially for C64 there's no sound. I'm using HDMI and sound works correctly on the pi in other apps.

I'm pleased to have got this far, seeing a C64 again after 25 years is a buzz but I'm tired now and will have another crack at in the morning - I'm dying to get a Jeff Minter fix :) any help gratefully received.
Cheers,
SimeonB

AreaScout

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi

you have to press F12 to enter the vice menu, for sound you have to enter

sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835
befor starting the emu

SB2020

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply.

There must be a problem with my keyboard mapping as f12 does nothing (although F-keys do work in general elsewhere on the pi)
Once the game has loaded I can see that space changes the difficulty setting, but that's the only response I can get :( 'q' doesn't quit.
I'll try some other games....

Still no sound - again sound works elsewhere so I don't think the suggested command is needed? I did try it just to be sure.

Using current raspbian, fully updated if that alters anything.

Thanks again.

batjac

Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Cool! Now, the question is: has anyone managed to log their RasPi onto Q-Link Rebooted?

AreaScout

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 am

@SB2020

you really need the F12 key, in the vice menu you can then do your key- or joystickmappings.

sound was working out of the box with loaded driver, there is not need to configure something special for it, testet on many rpi's, is vice reporting a sound driver error when starting ?

Return to “Other projects”