SteveCC

Is there any Media Center Software in which one can also browse the web

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Is there any Media Center Software in which one can also browse the web without leaving it and or dual booting or ?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Is there any Media Center Software in which one can also browse the web

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:24 pm

SteveCC wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:37 pm
Is there any Media Center Software in which one can also browse the web without leaving it and or dual booting or ?

AFAIAA LibreElec does not have that function:

Raspbian Buster with Desktop includes chromium-browser, also you can install Kodi Multimedia Software:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=251645
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mooblie

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:33 pm

There are instructions out there on how to install Chrome as an add-on to LibreELEC Kodi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo36BYGBdr0

Not tried this, so not sure how well it works (if at all).

If anyone tries it, please report back here how well it goes?

SteveCC

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:02 pm

I will try it and get back with feedback. It looks like exactly what I am looking for.

SteveCC

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:05 pm

mooblie wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:33 pm
There are instructions out there on how to install Chrome as an add-on to LibreELEC Kodi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo36BYGBdr0

Not tried this, so not sure how well it works (if at all).

If anyone tries it, please report back here how well it goes?
My findings - does not work.
Got LibreElec working and I do like it but the Chrome Browser does not show up as the video shows. I think the video is targeted to LibreElec on other platforms - Not RasbPi.
So at this point I have not been able to find any way to use a web browser while in Kod Media Center on my Pi. Looks like I will just have to set it up for dual booting.

The main issue I have with that is that my Wireless KB does not work during the boot process so there is no way can tell my Pi to boot up Raspbian instead of Kodi while sitting across the room on my couch.

So - obviously that is another thing to look at - making my wireless KB and/or mouse operable before I the dual boot choice passes by.

deepo

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:35 pm

I have Buster installed and Kodi on top of that.
I have made Kodi autostart at bootup, so I can exit Kodi if I want to return to the desktop to start a browser.
Works fine for me, as I have a K400 keyboard for the desktop and an Apple remote for Kodi.

/Mogens

Moonmarch

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 pm

I tested out Chromium OS on a laptop using a 64 bit Chromium OS image. I was using the Neverware Cloudready version of Chromium. With this version of Chromium OS I was able to access Google Play, well not the games section I was able to use everything else. With Chromium on Raspbian you can listen to music using Google Play Music, I was not able to watch movies using Google Play movies. Even though I see a link in the applications menu that takes you to the Google Play Movies & TV website. You can't actually watch movies in your Google video collection on the Raspberry Pi computer. I'm going to say the Chromium web browser on the RPI computer is missing features that are present in the 64 bit version of Chromium.

If you can install a 64 bit version of Chromium OS on the RPI computer, you should be able to use the Google Play store on the RPI computer. The problem with operating systems outside of Raspbian OS, the OS can still be in development. More specifically missing features, and cyber security can be a problem.

SteveCC

Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:10 pm

I installed Raspbian Buster and Kodi as Mogens suggested. - Works great!! Although it boots into Buster currently and I have to start Kodi.

Could someone point me to good current instructions on how to boot straight into Kodi - bypassing the desktop?

Also - any way to make it so that if someone quits Kodi that they do not have full privileges when they find themselves back at the desktop?

Thanks

donburch

Sun May 31, 2020 4:36 am

For what it's worth, I am in much the same situation.
I ran Libreelec on my RasPi 3 with Netflix and Aussie add-ons - but there are still some streaming services with no Kodi add-on (like Kanopy through my local public library). They are available through a browser, so I had 2 SD cards next to the RasPi and rebooted to swap between Kodi or browser.

I upgraded my TV, repurposed a laptop to media centre, then bought a soundbar in effort to improve the experience (and particularly the volume of dialog).

Like Mogens and SteveCC I have ended up with RasPi 4 running Raspbian light with Kodi installed. Still trying to fiddle with details - like getting the "\" key in Kodi to swap between fullscreen and windowed mode (as it does on Windows), instead of having to exit and restart Kodi.

Rascas

Sun May 31, 2020 11:09 am

donburch wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:36 am
Still trying to fiddle with details - like getting the "\" key in Kodi to swap between fullscreen and windowed mode (as it does on Windows), instead of having to exit and restart Kodi.
Doesn't work, you cannot go windowed mode on the Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Media centres”