HaM_

Im looking for raspberry pi4 power button options.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm

I have been looking at a number of cases, and found one that looks ok.

It should be either, a case with a power button that supports active cooling.
Or an external power button. However I dont want a loose cable by just installing two tiny wires onto the GPIO ports.
So are there any other options for power buttons?

So far I found the raspberry case with power hat from "multicomp pro". They also have a fan that "I hope" works and fit with that case.
Case: https://nl.farnell.com/multicomp-pro/as ... dp/3106148
Fan: https://nl.farnell.com/multicomp-pro/mp ... dp/3263923

PhatFil

Re: Im looking for raspberry pi4 power button options.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:58 pm

other than using dupont connectors to attach wires to the gpio header for fan and button enhancements you can solder the wires to the underside of the pi board gpio header. easier than you may think soldering is 90% practice and 10% confidence..

the single wire dupont socket connectors are less secure than their multi pin counterparts but can be secured with a slither of clear tape, a drop of hot glue or if you have the budget electronics solastic.. the 40x headers are 40x stiffer as they have 40x the grip ;)

Dont let the button feature steer you. A simple button addition to most cases can be achieved with the nice and cheap single sticky backed membrane buttons..
as long as the case has a flat surface to stick the button to you should be good to go.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3262908 ... web201603_ link is an example only..
Yes more dupont connectors .. but they do work and are ok ;) just add tape ;)

My only concern with the case/fan linked to is the 30mm fan size 40mm is WAY more common and a noisy fan is VERY annoying. sourcing a quiet 30mm fan may be harder than finding a quiet 40mm fan

also check out the fan shim which you can use in some non fan fitted cases..
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim
another 30mm option the irony didnt escape me..

HaM_

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks for the answer, well noise is not really an issue since the unit will be in a closet thingy. The max noise the fan was specified for was 28db. at 9000rpm.

I'll try the case + fan first and if that does not work I might try your suggestion.

PhatFil

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:29 pm

HaM_ wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:04 pm
unit will be in a closet thingy.

If a ventilated closet thingy ignore this..

?? This might be a problem, a well ventilated pi case with a fan in an enclosed space will just end up pulling back in the hot air it expunged ..

Nunof

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 am

I've been eyeing the Argon One case. It may suit your needs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WP8WC3V/ ... _lig_dp_it

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 am

Power buttons or switches on the low voltage side can cause issues (due to added resistance). For the Pi computers I often turn on/off switching the power supply is preferred.

For s single Pi computer you could use a tap switch (basically a switch the fits between the AC outlet and PSU). Example of model for USA.

For multiple Pi computers you could use a power strip or surge protector with individual switches.
multi-switch-strip.jpg
multi-switch-strip.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Switching off at the PSU has the added advantage of turning off the red power LED and fans connected to the 5V GPIO header pins, and eliminating vampire power from the PSU itself (which consumes power even when the Pi is shutdown).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

HaM_

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Power buttons or switches on the low voltage side can cause issues (due to added resistance). For the Pi computers I often turn on/off switching the power supply is preferred.

For s single Pi computer you could use a tap switch (basically a switch the fits between the AC outlet and PSU). Example of model for USA.

For multiple Pi computers you could use a power strip or surge protector with individual switches.
multi-switch-strip.jpg

Switching off at the PSU has the added advantage of turning off the red power LED and fans connected to the 5V GPIO header pins, and eliminating vampire power from the PSU itself (which consumes power even when the Pi is shutdown).
But doesnt this have a chance of corrupting the sd card? I thought doing a shutdown command for turning it off was better for the sd card.

@nunof
That argon One case looks good too. But why does the case I mentioned needs an additional usb input for power and the argon one not?

Imperf3kt

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm

HaM_ wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am
HawaiianPi wrote:

multi-switch-strip.jpg

But doesnt this have a chance of corrupting the sd card? I thought doing a shutdown command for turning it off was better for the sd card.
It is, that's why you only turn the switch off once the Pi has completed its shut down and you've waited an extra 5 to 10 seconds.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Return to “Beginners”