Cael

Can a resolution in NOOBS be specified somewhere?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 am

i dont honestly see a clear cut section to put this, (is used w/ raspbian + other OS's as an easy installer, this is ment for beginners.. etc) so i do have one of the ... Knockoff waveshare LCD Screens, thus i haveto in any new image, specify a custom resolution in it's config.txt

i know by shortcut theres 4 display modes to swap between with the UI open.

however, while noobs displays verry "jank-ily" on this bootleg screen and enough to say select which OS i want to boot, i want to know if its possible to define a custom resolution like i haveto with a normal image's config.txt within noobs? Mainly used this to dualboot between Raspbian & Retropie (a reason to why, is so i can have a desktop UI when need be without breaking RetroPie, for ReDream & DraStic/MelonDS (because for some reason configuring their controls within retropie goes haywire!), and vise versa with RetroPie to have 98% of the emulators at disposal + Kodi (compiling RetroArch manually + each indivdual Core, + Kodi, the plugins and dependencies, have last time i tried .. gone so horribly wrong and was so time consuming, i ended with a half functional Kodi that couldnt use Any plugin from repos, and libretro cores that segfaulted with saving games and making save states)

Said Specific resolution: (its the old 800x480 screen, still good for my needs)

Code: Select all

max_usb_current=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
hdmi_drive=1
and if it matters, this is with a Pi4B 4GB Ram Model

procount

Re: Can a resolution in NOOBS be specified somewhere?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 am

Just create a new config.txt file with your required settings in it and put it on your NOOBS partition.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Cael

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:11 pm

i just tried, it had no effect.,

B.Goode

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Cael wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:11 pm
i just tried, it had no effect.,

If you can see the interim quality screen well enough, this modification can also be made using the Configuration Editor option on the NOOBS Recovery Console.

But note that it only takes effect when used prior to Installing an Operating System - it can't be applied after that event.

Cael

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:38 am

i should be a bit clearer, i've got that set with RetroPie & raspbian's config.txt, and is working as intended. what im trying to change is Noob's own Resolution, that is if it can be defined.

procount

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:21 am

It should just work. I use it all the time with my HDMIPI screen.
NOOBS is just another bootable OS as far as the firmware is concerned.
Did you put it in the right place? (/dev/mmcblk0p5 - the RECOVERY partition, where you will find recovery.rfs and recovery.cmdline)
It is only effective when you boot NOOBS.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “General discussion”