SalientPoints

XBMC on Raspbian - Desktop visible during movie playback

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:43 pm

I compiled XBMC for Raspbian using these instructions yesterday. I installed all updates via apt-get and ran raspi-update before I started. The compile went fine and XBMC runs pretty well except for one thing: when I play a video, my desktop is visible where the black bars should be. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/dyFqo.jpg

Has anyone else ran into this? I'm not sure if it's a config problem, a driver problem, or what.

A Google search turned up this thread, where someone ran into something similar, but he said it just kind of went away.

Input would be appreciated.

Alvaro

Re: XBMC on Raspbian - Desktop visible during movie playback

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I had the same problem when building XBMC from source. Went back to pure Raspbian for several reasons, and the same problem is there as well, at least for a few minutes until powersaving (?) kicks in and the desktop - but not movie - vanishes into black again.

recliq

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm

You're supposed to run XBMC from commandline with no X started, don't start it from a shell within X.

Alvaro

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:39 pm

recliq wrote:You're supposed to run XBMC from commandline with no X started, don't start it from a shell within X.
I did that myself. Instead of the desktop I saw the CLI.

SalientPoints

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 am

Ok, I got this working pretty well without starting X when I log in. Here's what I did:
  • I set up an auto login of the raspbian user and added the line

Code: Select all

clear ; /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
    to my /etc/profile so that xbmc would execute at login (instructions here).
  • At this point, I would still see the password prompt from the CLI at the top of the screen when I started playing a video. To get around this (and to make launching xbmc even easier), I added /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin to my sudoers file so I wouldn't have to enter my password every time (more information here.
So now when I boot up, I get logged in automatically, xbmc starts automatically with no password prompt, and the CLI is completely cleared behind it so that I get nice clean black bars during playback... except for the blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner. That's kind of annoying but better than it was.

Does anybody know if there's a better way of doing this? I'd love not to have anything mussing up my black bars.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 am

SalientPoints wrote:... except for the blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner. That's kind of annoying but better than it was.

Does anybody know if there's a better way of doing this? I'd love not to have anything mussing up my black bars.
Maybe:
setterm -cursor off

SalientPoints

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks dom, that did it. My /etc/profile now has this line:

Code: Select all

clear; setterm -cursor off; sudo /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
at the end and all is good in black bar land. Thanks to all for the input!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”