Jaq1967

Using a RPi4 as a hub: Advice needed.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Hello... I have a now redundant RPi4 that I hope I can salvage and make use of. I was wondering if it was possible to use it as a hub where I can connect 4 external USB devices to it and access those devices from a Windows 10 laptop via the Ethernet ports on both RPi4 and the laptop by cable? Rationale is the distance is approx 10m from laptop to RPi, and Ethernet would be faster than either USB connectivity or WiFi? I'm sure this has been asked before but Google hasn't been forthcoming with direct hits. Thanks in advance. Jaq

epoch1970

Re: Using a RPi4 as a hub: Advice needed.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Assuming the Pi can run linux, you could try usb/ip and teleport USB ports from the server (the Pi with physical USB devices) to a client (your Win machine with 4 extra "virtual" ports)
There is at least one Windows port available, apparently. https://github.com/cezanne/usbip-win

I suppose most users would prefer regular network file sharing.
I've used the thing a long time ago, my take away was that it is a bit like iscsi; looks like a great idea to many, but really worth something to few.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Beginners”