jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello all. im new to hardware in general and pi in particular but old in programming and problem solving.
I have a newlly bought pi 4.

I use 16gb sd, i also have a 128 sd card tested with the same issue,

i use hdmi to vga adapter -> 1080P microHDMI Male to VGA Female Adapter Video Converter with Audio OEM https://www.cableworks.gr/ypologistes/u ... audio-oem/

power adapter output 5v 250mA to power the pi4

The red led is on and the green is blinking but the display does not work
The pi is even getting warm after a while but still, nothing.

I also tested with config.txt changes for:
hdmi_safe=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=36
hdmi_drive=2

The same issue has with nobs and rasbian.
Noobs installed with copy-paste, rasbian image installed with both .zip and img extension

I guess that the pi is booting due to the blinking leds and temperature

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Kendek
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:39 pm
Location: Kaposvár, Hungary

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:09 pm

250mA is too weak for the Pi4. If you can, please use the official and recommended 3A PSU (it's not that expensive).

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm

I guess i was too worried and not carefull because of it.

Thanks for pointing that out

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:43 am

I bought a 5v 3a ac to dc power supply now.

The PC monitor that is connected still displaing nothing but the ssh connection works fine now.

I even did some temperature and stress tests and the pi still is working good enough but no display

I even uncommented some config.txt settings but nothing still.

Any recommendation??

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 am

I've had this problem on some TV's / monitors

This is what I did:

Login on ssh
sudo raspi-config

7 Advanced options
A5 Resolution
select a suitable resolution eg. 1280x720 (this always works for me) or 1024x768
enter
enter
Tab to <Finish>
enter
reboot

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:15 am

P.S. If you get your display back you should then be able to the desktop screen/disply config tool to test out other resolutions

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am

My monitor information is
Analog 64.8khz 60hz PN
1680X1050

I'll try your recommendation and come back

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 25408
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:09 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am
My monitor information is
Analog 64.8khz 60hz PN
1680X1050

I'll try your recommendation and come back
That is a very odd resolution indeed. Is it HDMI?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am
My monitor information is
Analog 64.8khz 60hz PN
1680X1050
Yes, like jamsh said, that looks strange.

Also make sure you are plugged in to HDMI Port 1 closest to 5Volt power port.

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm

No , vga, your raspi-configuration didn't work actually but i called the supplyer and he will sent me another adaptor at Monday, fingers crossed i hope it will work.

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 pm

markuswelby wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 pm
jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am
My monitor information is
Analog 64.8khz 60hz PN
1680X1050
Yes, like jamsh said, that looks strange.

Also make sure you are plugged in to HDMI Port 1 closest to 5Volt power port.
100%

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm
No , vga, your raspi-configuration didn't work actually but i called the supplyer and he will sent me another adaptor at Monday, fingers crossed i hope it will work.
.
Sorry too hear that didn't work for you.

I have tried several different brands of HDMI TO VGA Adapters on my Pi 4, and some of them do not work on some monitors.
They may work on one brand of monitor but not another brand.

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 pm

I didn't find any official hdmi to vga adaptor, shouldn't it be one?? Many monitors use vga

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:48 pm
I didn't find any official hdmi to vga adaptor, shouldn't it be one?? Many monitors use vga
.
Indeed! Good question!

Maybe a far wiser person than me can answer that 8-)

Like you, I only use my Pi's 1,2,3's & 4 on VGA monitors.

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 pm

And those who cannot, just buy official monitors, that's why, you got the answer i guess

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 pm
And those who cannot, just buy official monitors, that's why, you got the answer i guess
Is there an official monitor?

I have 3 TV's at home with HDMI. I even had problems with no display on one of those until I connected it to another TV and set the resolution to 1280x720. Then I got the rainbow screen and splash screen but would not display the Desktop.

So, back on the other TV again and switch of splash screen on desktop, Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration > Display > Splash Screen > Disabled.

Then it worked and got desktop up on the other.

jordantsap
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:42 pm

markuswelby wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:16 pm
jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 pm
And those who cannot, just buy official monitors, that's why, you got the answer i guess
Is there an official monitor?

I have 3 TV's at home with HDMI. I even had problems with no display on one of those until I connected it to another TV and set the resolution to 1280x720. Then I got the rainbow screen and splash screen but would not display the Desktop.

So, back on the other TV again and switch of splash screen on desktop, Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration > Display > Splash Screen > Disabled.

Then it worked and got desktop up on the other.
That's an other problem entirely

markuswelby
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Pompey, UK

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 pm

jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:42 pm

That's an other problem entirely
Yes and no, because I've had exact same problem on VGA adapter too.
Not just me and mine, my friend at work too.

drgeoff
Posts: 10320
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Rspberry pi4 4gb ram - no display output

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:09 pm
jordantsap wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:49 am
My monitor information is
Analog 64.8khz 60hz PN
1680X1050

I'll try your recommendation and come back
That is a very odd resolution indeed. Is it HDMI?
1680 by 1050 is not an odd resolution. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitors-1680- ... A319919031

Return to “Troubleshooting”