ultrawesley123

Connect Raspberry Pi 3 to Cellular Data for VOIP

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Hello! I'm attempting to use the Raspberry Pi to transmit audio data from a USB microphone to my laptop.

The best way I've discovered to do this is through VOIP. (Cell-phone calling from a Raspberry Pi seem more difficult, correct me if I'm wrong!)

However, this device will be operating without a wifi network. So I want to use Cellular Data to connect to the internet, then do my VOIP transfer over that. Do you think that's a good idea?

To connect to cellular data, I plan to use this

https://www.amazon.com/Blueshadow-USB-W ... ljaz10cnVl

Would this dongle work? If so, how would I set it up? From my research I've found dongle-related solutions similar to this, but I want to make sure this specific dongle is compatible.

Thank you so much! Any suggestions, remarks, are recommendations are super appreciated!

ultrawesley123

Re: Connect Raspberry Pi 3 to Cellular Data for VOIP

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 am

Any ideas on this?

dustnbone

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 am

As long as it's supported by Linux, it should just show up as a USB network device, get an IP address from the wireless provider and go to work providing internet access.

Once you put a SIM card in it that's activated with a data plan on a cell provider of course.

EDIT: The device you linked to above seems to be just a wifi dongle, no 4G/LTE support. You want something more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Modem-Huawei-Unl ... pc&sr=1-14

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am

A number of the 3G/4G dongles show up as serial ports/modems that then need configuring, the Huawei's in particular. Those configuration steps can be a bit hit and miss.
Other devices do show up as network adapters. I've used a ZTE MF823 and it just works. It provides a DHCP server, web browser for any 3G/4G configuration required, and NATs all sessions.

Do check details of which VOIP protocol and provider you're using. As well as the 3G/4G dongle, many 3G/4G networks use NAT, and SIP in particular does not like NAT without jumping through many hoops.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Beginners”