Botspot

Why does shutdown dialog take so long to load?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Latest Raspbian Buster.

When running from a HDD, it takes nearly a minute for the shutdown dialog to load after clicking the button in the menu.
When running on a Sandisk Extreme Pro, it takes nearly 10 seconds. Chromium opens faster than the shutdown dialog in both cases.

Why?
I would think the shutdown dialog would be very lightweight, maybe 1 MB to load the GUI. But obviously not, and I'm curious as to why.
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Why does shutdown dialog take so long to load?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm

Botspot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:26 pm
Latest Raspbian Buster.

When running from a HDD, it takes nearly a minute for the shutdown dialog to load after clicking the button in the menu.
When running on a Sandisk Extreme Pro, it takes nearly 10 seconds. Chromium opens faster than the shutdown dialog in both cases.

Why?
I would think the shutdown dialog would be very lightweight, maybe 1 MB to load the GUI. But obviously not, and I'm curious as to why.
Something's not quite right - I'm using fairly basic 32Gb uSDHC cards** in my P4B's and the Shutdown Options pop up does so in < 1sec. (NB. Since I normally don't boot direct to desktop I prefer to "Exit to command line" and then "sudo shutdown -h now" - gives me bit more time to ensure I can watch for the final PWR/ACT led sequence before, physically, removing power - those leds are not so easy to see through a suitable slot in two of the cases.)
Trev.
** AH - AK shown here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... cards.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Botspot

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:22 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Something's not quite right - I'm using fairly basic 32Gb uSDHC cards** in my P4B's and the Shutdown Options pop up does so in < 1sec.
It's a genuine Sandisk, I ordered it directly from their website.

My Shutdown Options takes approximately as long to load as Chromium.
Chromium takes 6-10 seconds. Shutdown Options takes 6-10 seconds.
Want to run Minecraft Java on your RPi? Easiest way is with Pi-Apps - just click Install.
Pi-Apps also includes Zoom, Visual Studio, Tor browser, Windows 10 theme, and 33 more.
Over 50,000 users!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:29 pm

Botspot wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote:
Something's not quite right - I'm using fairly basic 32Gb uSDHC cards** in my P4B's and the Shutdown Options pop up does so in < 1sec.

Exactly which type of Sandisk (IIRC there's an early P4 thread where it was noted that one "high-performance" Sandisk type actually worked slower in a P4 than its (one model type) lower "brother". A3 vs. A2 or something like that)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Botspot

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Botspot wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote:

Exactly which type of Sandisk (IIRC there's an early P4 thread where it was noted that one "high-performance" Sandisk type actually worked slower in a P4 than its (one model type) lower "brother". A3 vs. A2 or something like that)
Trev.
I don't think the SD card is an issue. After all, Chromium loads in 8 seconds average!

It is a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro A1.
Over 50,000 users!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Does it take that long every time? I wonder if it's waiting for a disk sync or similar - they can take a while if you have a lot of cache to save.

What does htop say whilst its happening?

edit: Just tried this with most recent stuff, up in less than 0.5s.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:17 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Trev.
A2 (slower) vs. A1 (faster). A2 requires specific--proprietary--hardware support that Pis lack.

Botspot

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:20 pm

jamesh wrote:
Does it take that long every time? I wonder if it's waiting for a disk sync or similar - they can take a while if you have a lot of cache to save.

Yes it takes about as long every time. On this SD card on 4B4 latest Buster, it ranges from 7 secs to 5 secs. (My 3B usually took 10 secs)

I agree, likely to be disk related. Back when my 3B ran on a hard drive, I could hear the HDD's reading head rattling all over the place while Shutdown Options was loading.

Sure, I will try htop in a few minutes, once the data is cleared from the cache.
Over 50,000 users!

jamesh

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Botspot wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Yes it takes about as long every time. On this SD card on 4B4 latest Buster, it ranges from 7 secs to 5 secs. (My 3B usually took 10 secs)

I agree, likely to be disk related. Back when my 3B ran on a hard drive, I could hear the HDD's reading head rattling all over the place while Shutdown Options was loading.

Sure, I will try htop in a few minutes, once the data is cleared from the cache.
Well I'm running from a basic 8GB card, and its very quick on that. It is odd.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Botspot

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm
Botspot wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Well I'm running from a basic 8GB card, and its very quick on that. It is odd.
I have always had this issue, thought everyone had it. Even Stretch (and Jessie IIRC). In general it takes as long to load the shutdown dialog as it takes chromium to load.

How long does chromium-browser take to cold-start for you?
Over 50,000 users!

GlowInTheDark

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Why bother?

I just do:

Code: Select all

sudo poweroff
from a terminal window.
Works every time - and quickly.
GitD's list of things that are not ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

Loves Linux; loves to dance.

jamesh

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:44 pm
Why bother?

I just do:

Code: Select all

sudo poweroff
from a terminal window.
Works every time - and quickly.
Because there is clearly something wrong if its taking that long to start up. And that's probably not the only symptom.

Botspot

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Strangely
jamesh wrote: What does htop say whilst its happening?
As long as htop is running, Shutdown dialog appears almost instantly. But if I exit htop and wait for a few minuted, it takes a while to open as it did before.
jamesh wrote: And that's probably not the only symptom.
Everything else opens fast, pcmanfm in 0.3 seconds, lxerminal in 0.5 seconds, gpicview in 1 second. I'm going to try a fresh Raspbian install.
Over 50,000 users!

Return to “Beginners”