Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Look I understand you must get a million of these but I have legitimately looked through all the FAQs/crappy website guides and come up nothing.

The PI itself is a Raspberry PI 4B 4GB
SD card is Samsung 32GB EVO Plus. This came pre-formatted but once it didnt work I twice tried to reformat (with reccomended SD Card Formatter) and drag over a downloaded version of NOOBS (3.2.1, and yes I did unzip it before dragging it over). Both reformat attempts changed nothing I could see.

Power supply is a CanaKit (the entire set is a CanaKit RPI starter kit) supply, wall to USBC adaptor. Power LED is always nice and solid red so don't see any blame there.

The PI is connected to https://www.amazon.co.uk/Longruner-Rasp ... rs&sr=1-10 this via a mini HDMI to normal HDMI adaptor cable. Both ports on the raspi (HDMI0 and HDMI1) have been tried. The display has not shown anything other than the "normal" blue (This screen seems to default to a dark blue screen without input, tested and does the same even with unplugged video input cable).

I also had a normal wired mouse connected to start, and also tried a bluetooth kbm set (I was planning to put the PI and some other gadgets I would later attach somewhere less than accessible so I got them to access it while it was there). None seemed to have any effect on anything.

Here ( https://imgur.com/a/aOwsHgj) are videos of the LEDs as I try to boot with and without an SD in (description says which is which). I know the quality is bad but that's all I have

Happy to give any further details required, and thanks for your help in advance

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26025
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:21 pm

What pattern does the green LED flash in when you apply the power?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:02 pm

its hard to say. it flashes very quickly both times (as in with or without SD in) and then never repeats.

NO SD seems to be two short, one long (relative times, the entire thing is still very quick)

with an SD it seems to be the same but slightly slower? unsure.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5474
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Try writing a Raspbian Image to the card using Etcher.

Write the image directly from the .zip download, do not extract the image first (Etcher will do that for you).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

drgeoff
Posts: 10521
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm
Here ( https://imgur.com/a/aOwsHgj) are videos of the LEDs as I try to boot with and without an SD in
The flashes without the micro-SD card are not what you should see. 4 distinct flashes, a pause, then repeat ad infinitum until power removed.

The suggestion to try a Raspbian image will not solve your problem.

You can try reflashing the EEPROM as detailed in the Recovery section at https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:36 pm

trying bootloader now

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12841
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm
Look I understand you must get a million of these but I have legitimately looked through all the FAQs/crappy website guides and come up nothing.

But did you find the boot problem sticky ? Its in this very section: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151 just a few lines above this post.... :P

it has the accumulated knowledge of years and years of this sort of question, to say your question is a "duplicate" is an understatement....

and yes, it has a RPI4 section... :geek:

Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm

You can try reflashing the EEPROM as detailed in the Recovery section at https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
Does not work. Exact same pattern on power on as shown before in video. Copied NOOBS onto the card again just to make sure and yeah nothing.

drgeoff
Posts: 10521
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:45 pm
drgeoff wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm

You can try reflashing the EEPROM as detailed in the Recovery section at https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
Does not work. Exact same pattern on power on as shown before in video. Copied NOOBS onto the card again just to make sure and yeah nothing.
Unless/until you get the repeating 4 flash pattern without a card you are wasting your time trying cards irrespective of what OS or NOOBS you put on them.

Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm
Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 pm
Look I understand you must get a million of these but I have legitimately looked through all the FAQs/crappy website guides and come up nothing.

But did you find the boot problem sticky ? Its in this very section: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151 just a few lines above this post.... :P

it has the accumulated knowledge of years and years of this sort of question, to say your question is a "duplicate" is an understatement....

and yes, it has a RPI4 section... :geek:
I did read that section. The entire pi 4b section talks about problems where you have the 4 blink pattern, which if you see my videos on this post I do not have. The bootloader switching I also tried right now and before. None of the rest is applicable. I am aware that that section in the PI4 post says that "if you still can't recover its probably blown" but obviously i'm going to make a post here and ask before I assume £50 of my cash is down the toilet.

dustnbone
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:49 am

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm
I am aware that that section in the PI4 post says that "if you still can't recover its probably blown" but obviously i'm going to make a post here and ask before I assume £50 of my cash is down the toilet.
If it came out of the box not working as it should then you have a legitimate warranty claim, and your money isn't down the toilet.

Lorzonic
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm

dustnbone wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Lorzonic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 pm
I am aware that that section in the PI4 post says that "if you still can't recover its probably blown" but obviously i'm going to make a post here and ask before I assume £50 of my cash is down the toilet.
If it came out of the box not working as it should then you have a legitimate warranty claim, and your money isn't down the toilet.
I have emailed the manufacturer, so hopefully I get myself a working replacement. Thanks all for help&time

drgeoff
Posts: 10521
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: PI 4B will not boot

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Lorzonic wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:41 pm
I have emailed the manufacturer, so hopefully I get myself a working replacement.
If you really have emailed the manufacturer (all 4Bs to date have been manufactured by Sony UK), then don't get your hopes up.

They are made under contract for RS and Farnell who sell them to distributors, retailers and end-users. In many countries your rights are against the vendor not the manufacturer.

Return to “Troubleshooting”