shhammer5634

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:23 pm

ptyo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:46 pm
ptyo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 pm
Well hooked up the PAM8403 and didn't smoke anything on my raspberry. So connections must be good.

I do have an unusual sound issue though. Regardless if I use HDMI audio or the 3.5 mm jack. When the Raspberry goes into sleep mode I hear crackling and popping through the speakers. I have already upgrade alsa from 1.1.3 to 1.1.7 but it didn't fix it. Anybody else have that issue and now the fix?

thanks,

ptyo
Hmm.. Well It would appear to be the audio card of the raspberry pi. When i connected my PAM8403 to my laptop the sound is surprisingly good. No crackling or pop-ing noise etc.. So hi see everybody seems to be using the HifiBerry. Does it have a built in sound card? My concern is the small 8ohm 3 watt speakers in this old cabinet. Any particular links to HifiBerry's that people find easy to use?

thanks ,

ptyo
I actually use the HiFiBerry DAC+ card. It is a sound card but does not have an amplifier. I then run that through my home stereo amp. So you could use that little amp you have there with the DAC+ and should improve your sound.

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:42 am

ptyo wrote:
ptyo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:22 pm
Well hooked up the PAM8403 and didn't smoke anything on my raspberry. So connections must be good.

I do have an unusual sound issue though. Regardless if I use HDMI audio or the 3.5 mm jack. When the Raspberry goes into sleep mode I hear crackling and popping through the speakers. I have already upgrade alsa from 1.1.3 to 1.1.7 but it didn't fix it. Anybody else have that issue and now the fix?

thanks,

ptyo
Hmm.. Well It would appear to be the audio card of the raspberry pi. When i connected my PAM8403 to my laptop the sound is surprisingly good. No crackling or pop-ing noise etc.. So hi see everybody seems to be using the HifiBerry. Does it have a built in sound card? My concern is the small 8ohm 3 watt speakers in this old cabinet. Any particular links to HifiBerry's that people find easy to use?

thanks ,

ptyo
I think that all the board is doing is amplifying the (poor quality) Pi jack output...you are better off I think in spending a little more on a better solution which would be a DAC / Amp (I.e. combined DAC and Amp) such as the HifiBerry solutions mentioned (of course there are many alternatives). These take digital audio data from the Pi and convert it to analogue using better hardware. You get what you pay for of course...

Happy new year!
Mike

MrPathetic

Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:16 am

fruitbox wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:17 pm
MrPathetic wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:08 am
hello all, im just having trouble installing the jukebox on my raspberry pi 3. doing all the codes, get past source ./install.sh and it all installs but then when i go to run it with the skin i choose it does nothing, says there is no directory..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Can you tell us what the last error message is in fruitbox.log...
ive just done a fresh wipe and going to give it another try with installing it, if i fail again i will find the log and share. thanks !!

UPDATE! so as soon as i do chmod +x ./install.sh this does nothing then i do source ./install.sh which the first line says r,: cannot remove master* no such file directory. i dont know if this helps? ill try and get the fruitbox log but i think its not even installing anything.....

Code: Select all

Archive: master
	End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. in the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive
	unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of master or master.zip, and cannot find master.zip, period.
	-bash: cd: rpi-fruitbox-master: No such file or directory
	chmod: cannot access './fruitbox : No such file or directory

fruitbox

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:31 am

MrPathetic wrote:

UPDATE! so as soon as i do chmod +x ./install.sh this does nothing then i do source ./install.sh which the first line says r,: cannot remove master* no such file directory. i dont know if this helps? ill try and get the fruitbox log but i think its not even installing anything.....

End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. in the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive
	unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of master or master.zip, and cannot find master.zip, period.
The first two things are expected (chmod command returns no message, and unless you've previously installed fruitbox then there will be no files to remove). The confusing thing however is why the install script (or specifically the wget command I think) is unhappy with the zip file on GitHub...I will try the install script myself later, but nothing has changed so I'm not sure why it's not working. You could in the meantime try a brand new Raspian image, or at least do a ...

sudo apt-get update
Cheers
Mike

kramg

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:55 pm

ptyo wrote:

thanks ,

ptyo
I can't speak to the HifiBerry, but, I have had great success with the JustBoom products. I use the Digi Hat with my Pi3 and the Amp Zero pHat with my PiZero. They are well documented and both sound great. They aren't cheap, but, in Canada at least, the prices are comparable to the HiFiBerry. Of particular interest to you, if you power the Amp from the Pi it will provide a maximum of 3 watts (It can provide up to 55w if powered separately). In my case I power the Amp Zero from the Pi Zero using 4 ohm 3 watt speakers and the sound is respectable limited primarily by the quality of the speakers and the enclosures they are in.

MrPathetic

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:50 am

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:31 am
MrPathetic wrote:

The first two things are expected (chmod command returns no message, and unless you've previously installed fruitbox then there will be no files to remove). The confusing thing however is why the install script (or specifically the wget command I think) is unhappy with the zip file on GitHub...I will try the install script myself later, but nothing has changed so I'm not sure why it's not working. You could in the meantime try a brand new Raspian image, or at least do a ...

sudo apt-get update
Cheers
Mike
g,day Mike,
i have tried the setup a fair few times now, on the current upto date Raspian image and also tried a few older images but still to no success. im also having a problem on the wifi not connecting or finding my wifi connecting. dont know if this has something to do with it? and also tried three different sd cards thinking it might be the card but still no success.

fruitbox

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 am

MrPathetic wrote:

g,day Mike,
i have tried the setup a fair few times now, on the current upto date Raspian image and also tried a few older images but still to no success. im also having a problem on the wifi not connecting or finding my wifi connecting. dont know if this has something to do with it? and also tried three different sd cards thinking it might be the card but still no success.
Hi

I tried it on my setup and it worked ok, so it looks like a problem with your setup....given you mention you have Wifi issues that is most probably the cause of the problem, but I can't be sure. The master zip file it has to download is fairly large (10s of Mbytes) so there's a good chance that's getting corrupted by your dodgy Wifi.

Cheers
Mike

MrPathetic

Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:58 am

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 am
MrPathetic wrote:

g,day Mike,
Hi

I tried it on my setup and it worked ok, so it looks like a problem with your setup....given you mention you have Wifi issues that is most probably the cause of the problem, but I can't be sure. The master zip file it has to download is fairly large (10s of Mbytes) so there's a good chance that's getting corrupted by your dodgy Wifi.

Cheers
Mike
so my wifi isnt dodgy as its connected to my pc and running perfect. i have the pi plugged into my pc to be able to get internet with the ethernet cable but the wifi doesnt work on my pi. could this be a rooted pi maybe?
and it does download fruitbox but doesnt install, its really weird

fruitbox

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:06 pm

MrPathetic wrote:

so my wifi isnt dodgy as its connected to my pc and running perfect. i have the pi plugged into my pc to be able to get internet with the ethernet cable but the wifi doesnt work on my pi. could this be a rooted pi maybe?
You could just try bypassing the install script and do it manually. Download the master zip file directly and check its size......

wget https://codeload.github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/zip/master
Then see if it's the correct size...

ls -al master
It should report something like...

-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 76194411 Jan  2 19:01 master
(of course the date will be different, but you are just checking to see if it's the correct size (76194411))

If that seems ok, try installing the dependencies and unzipping the fruitbox files...

sudo apt-get -y install libsm-dev libxcursor-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxpm-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev
unzip master
rm master
cd rpi-fruitbox-master
chmod +x ./fruitbox
If that seems ok, try running fruitbox…

sudo ./fruitbox --help
Cheers,
Mike

MrPathetic

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:29 am

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:06 pm
MrPathetic wrote:

You could just try bypassing the install script and do it manually. Download the master zip file directly and check its size......

wget https://codeload.github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox/zip/master
Then see if it's the correct size...

ls -al master
It should report something like...

-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 76194411 Jan  2 19:01 master
(of course the date will be different, but you are just checking to see if it's the correct size (76194411))

If that seems ok, try installing the dependencies and unzipping the fruitbox files...

sudo apt-get -y install libsm-dev libxcursor-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxpm-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev
unzip master
rm master
cd rpi-fruitbox-master
chmod +x ./fruitbox
If that seems ok, try running fruitbox…

sudo ./fruitbox --help
Cheers,
Mike
so i finally got it to install on my raspberry pi, but now im having trouble directing the music path to my usb.... really nooby with this stuff. and also think my wifi chip is fried as still cannot get the wifi to work.... :/

EDIT
so i did get it to install properly but now it wount open back up or anything, so done fresh install again and now it wont install again, and yes i tried doing it the way you said and still no success

fruitbox

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 am

MrPathetic wrote:

EDIT
so i did get it to install properly but now it wount open back up or anything, so done fresh install again and now it wont install again, and yes i tried doing it the way you said and still no success
...last resort then...

1. Try a different power supply
2. Try a different Pi

nbvcxw

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Hello thanks for project
I would like to know how to activate activate the GPIO for fruitbox.
Also know how many buttons to put and have a diagram if possible or written please

MrPathetic

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:39 am
MrPathetic wrote:

EDIT
...last resort then...

1. Try a different power supply
2. Try a different Pi
i have tried a few different power supplies with no success. havent tried another pi, might need to get a new one. but also when writing the image to my sd card using Etcher 1.5.70 i keep getting an error upon completion... 1 failed device \\.\PhysicalDrive1: Source and destination checksums do not match: b803da49f7a9a99d !==f94227abfaded0b3

could this be why its not working maybe? its the most current lite build and ive tried the desktop build and still get this error while writing to the sd card.....

fruitbox

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:38 am

nbvcxw wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:44 pm
Hello thanks for project
I would like to know how to activate activate the GPIO for fruitbox.
Also know how many buttons to put and have a diagram if possible or written please
Hi

Just connect your buttons to the Pi GPIO pins and run fruitbox with the --config-buttons command line option to set them up. See this post...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1305150

The above post talks about the buttons I originally used, but any (normally-open) switches will work...you just need to connect the two switch pins between GND and GPIO and the Pi hardware and fruitbox will do the rest! Just be aware that not all GPIO pins can be used, especially if you have a Amp or DAC HAT board fitted, so you will need to read up a bit about the GPIO pins, but there's lot of info around.

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 pm

Salut,
je reviens vers vous car malgré avoir rajouté les lignes pour la lettre L en plus dans la configuration des boutons cela ne marche pas.
Merci

Hello,
I come back to you because despite having added the lines for the letter L in addition in the configuration of the buttons it does not work.
Thank you

fruitbox

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:17 am

virgildu68 wrote:
Salut,
je reviens vers vous car malgré avoir rajouté les lignes pour la lettre L en plus dans la configuration des boutons cela ne marche pas.
Merci

Hello,
I come back to you because despite having added the lines for the letter L in addition in the configuration of the buttons it does not work.
Thank you
Hi

After editing the source code, did you then build the program (see build.txt in the build directory)?

I have now made the changes to the source code to add the L button for the next release (v1.16) which will be available in the next few weeks...

Cheers
Mike

sputnik1983

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello,

it is possible to make the audio output of the fruitbox via the bluetooth output.
The desktop sound already works via bluetooth.only in the fruitbox application.
Thank you very much

MrPathetic

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:28 am

hello again. got it all running on a new raspberry pi but have no sound. im running the lite version of raspbian so my guess is there is something i have to type in? please help

fruitbox

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:56 am

MrPathetic wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:28 am
hello again. got it all running on a new raspberry pi but have no sound. im running the lite version of raspbian so my guess is there is something i have to type in? please help
I'm assuming it's not fruitbox related, so try this link...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -config.md

Also you can check the master volume from the command line by typing alsamixer

Cheers
Mike

virgildu68

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:55 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:17 am
virgildu68 wrote:
Salut,
Merci

Hello,
Thank you
Hi

After editing the source code, did you then build the program (see build.txt in the build directory)?

I have now made the changes to the source code to add the L button for the next release (v1.16) which will be available in the next few weeks...

Cheers
Mike
Hi,

I think I will wait for the update because I don't really understand;)

Thanks Mike

Virgil

willbuden

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Mike,

The week before Christmas, our church hosted a party for the neighborhood. The premise of the "Holiday Hangout" is to take a little time from preparing for Christmas to just catch your breath and relax. We had a bonfire, smores, hot cocoa, spiced apple cider, cookies and other treats. I brought along my raspberry pi running fruitbox loaded with Christmas music. The event was a great success. Everyone had a good time and I made some new friends.

The pi was set up with the SmartiPi case and the official pi touchscreen. I had it running fruitbox with the Christmas skin I showed in another post. After I showed a few people how to select songs, the music never stopped. Thank you for helping make this event a terrific success. And thank you for such a fun project.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1571512

Bill B
Last edited by willbuden on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitbox

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm

willbuden wrote:
Mike,

The week before Christmas, our church hosted a party for the neighborhood. The premise of the "Holiday Hangout" is to take a little time from preparing for Christmas to just catch your breath and relax. We had a bonfire, smores, hot cocoa, spiced apple cider, cookies and other treats. I brought along my raspberry pi running fruitbox loaded with Christmas music. The event was a great success. Everyone had a good time and I made some new friends.

The pi was set up with the SmartiPi case and the official pi touchscreen. I had it running fruitbox with the Christmas skin I showed in another post. After I showed a few people how to select songs, the music never stopped. Thank you for helping make this event a terrific success. And thank you for such a fun project.

Bill B
Hi Bill

Glad to hear fruitbox didn't let you down! Fancy sharing your Christmas skin? I remember it looking good from a previous post. I replied to that telling you how to make it available so if you're still ok with that I'm sure it'll be appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

willbuden

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:56 pm

fruitbox wrote:
willbuden wrote:
Mike,

The week before Christmas, our church hosted a party for the neighborhood....

Bill B
Hi Bill

Glad to hear fruitbox didn't let you down! Fancy sharing your Christmas skin? I remember it looking good from a previous post. I replied to that telling you how to make it available so if you're still ok with that I'm sure it'll be appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
I sent a zip file of the skin and will do it again. I'm not comfortable sharing through git and want to avoid making a mess of your files. I guess it's a thing i need to learn.

Bill B.

willbuden

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm

One more thing. It's interesting fruitbox has stayed at the top of the "Graphics, sound and multimedia" since at least November.

Great Job Mike!

Bill B.

willbuden

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:06 pm

willbuden wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:56 pm
fruitbox wrote:
willbuden wrote:
Mike,

The week before Christmas, our church hosted a party for the neighborhood....

Bill B
Hi Bill

Cheers
Mike
I sent a zip file of the skin and will do it again. I'm not comfortable sharing through git and want to avoid making a mess of your files. I guess it's a thing i need to learn.

Bill B.
I emailed, just now, it to the address you gave me before.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”