alphanumeric

Installing Arduino IDE om Raspberry Pi

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:26 pm

I downloaded arduino-1.8.10-linuxarm.tar.xz to my Pi's downloads folder. And then followed instructions from the MagPi site as follows.
Extract the file to your /opt directory , then open a Terminal and run the install.sh script to install.
cd Downloads/
tar -xf arduino-1.8.10-linuxarm.tar.xz
sudo mv arduino-1.8.10 /opt
sudo /opt/arduino-1.8.10/install.sh
You will find Arduino IDE under Menu > Programming. Open the app to start programming your Arduino board.

When running the install.sh I got the following error messages, should I be concerned?

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

touch: cannot touch '/root/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: 848: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot create /root/.config/mimeapps.list.new: Directory nonexistent

done!
[email protected]:~/Downloads $

Also, once I launch it, how do I close it? I can't see any close or x etc anywhere?

Botspot

Re: Installing Arduino IDE om Raspberry Pi

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Also, once I launch it, how do I close it? I can't see any close or x etc anywhere?
Could you attach a screenshot of what you're seeing?
Want to make your own Raspbian image?
  • Hard way: Mess with confusing terminal commands.
  • Easy way: Let Pi-Power-Tools do it all for you!
Boot your image in a VM, Flash from the Internet at top speed, Mount (to drop files in), Edit partitions, Shrink/Expand, Repair, and more. Enjoy! :)
https://github.com/Botspot/Pi-Power-Tools

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:21 pm

It appears the missing X to close it was a result of it being off screen. On my setup with the Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen the bar with the X is off the top of the screen out of sight. I did try to move the window down but was unsuccessful. Opening the IDE on a bigger monitor shows the X that I couldn't see.

hippy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
When running the install.sh I got the following error messages, should I be concerned?

Code: Select all

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...

touch: cannot touch '/root/.config/mimeapps.list': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-mime: 848: /usr/bin/xdg-mime: cannot create /root/.config/mimeapps.list.new: Directory nonexistent
No need to be concerned AFAICT. I always get that warning, and ignore it, I imagine everyone installing on a Pi does.

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm

@hippy, thanks for that info, I was hoping it was something it was an installing on a Pi thing.

Trollenator

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Does this mean that the Pi and Arduino units can talk to each other?

Just got my first Pi 2 days ago and today ordered an Arduino kit on the advice of the buddy who started this whole thing with me.

What have I done! Looks to be fun!
Bad things happen to good people to balance the good things that happen to bad people.

alphanumeric

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 pm

The Arduino IDE lets you program your Arduino from a Raspberry Pi. Same as you can do from a PC with the IDE installed on it.
There is some talking going on, but to really have them interact you need to setup a different serial connection. Thats my understanding anyway. I'm an Arduino NOOB myself. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will post back if I got that wrong.

Tomreef

Re: Installing Arduino IDE on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 14, 2020 11:36 am

Hi all

Forum newbie here - be gentle

I decided to reflash my Raspian image (due to errors in apt-get upgrade) and am now very pleased to get clean update+upgrade and to have a much better GUI interface that my previous version of 3 years ago

I then needed to re-install Arduino IDE which it has. However when I activate it from Programming, Arduino IDE, the cursor hourglass activates for about 30 seconds and then nothing.

I have Pi, model B, running latest Raspbian OS

Any help would be appreciated as my Arduino UNO is just sitting here running its last uploaded program

hippy

Re: Installing Arduino IDE on Raspberry Pi

Thu May 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Tomreef wrote:
I then needed to re-install Arduino IDE which it has. However when I activate it from Programming, Arduino IDE, the cursor hourglass activates for about 30 seconds and then nothing.
Open a Terminal and then execute the following commands -

arduino --version
arduino

That should hopefully reveal what's going on.
Tomreef wrote:
I have Pi, model B, running latest Raspbian OS
My gut feeling is it may have something to do with the Java version used by the IDE not running on the older model B, or something related. But let's see what the above commands produce.

Tomreef

Sat May 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanks Hippy

You nailed the problem - it was probably related to The fact that my pi is about 4/5 years old and the latest versions do not work properly on it.

The solution was as you suggested:-

Re-imaged SD card with latest Raspian OS
Then installed version 1.8.10 Arduino IDE from terminal prompt

Thanks for you help

Return to “General programming discussion”