mtylerb

Minecraft 1.14.4 on Raspbian Buster and RPi4

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 am

How to setup Full Minecraft 1.14.4 (with Optifine) on Raspberry Pi4 (using Raspbian Buster)

Please note :
Do this at your own risk.
If you have any doubts use a spare SD card.
Pi4: I'm using the PoE Hat, with the Pi4 in a closed case and the PoE fan. The Pi 4's in my house are all 4GB models.

Minecraft is very RAM heavy. It freezes constantly on a 3B+ with 1GB of RAM. I expect a Pi4 with 1GB will be the same. I have no way of testing a 2GB model. The scripts here assume 4GB and will need to be modified for different versions. Specifically the Xmx and Xms values in the run file.

This tutorial was modified from rpiMike's post over in the Gentoo forum.
viewtopic.php?t=249875

Using the help provided further down by runholen
viewtopic.php?t=249875#p1546518

Pre-start, update your system, ensure everything is up to date

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
Next change a couple raspi-config settings:

sudo raspi-config
Select Advanced->Memory Split-> Set to 256Mb
Select Advanced->GL Driver->GL (Fake KMS)
Finish and Reboot

1 Download and run setupMC1_14_4 script
This will take a few minutes, including installing Oracle Java 8 (32-bit).

mkdir ~/Minecraft && cd ~/Minecraft && wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs9uza87elbzzg2/setupMC1_14_4.sh && chmod +x setupMC1_14_4.sh && ./setupMC1_14_4.sh
2 Run Minecraft launcher :

cd ~/Minecraft && /opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_211/bin/java -jar Minecraft.jar
Login with Minecraft email and password
Click 'edit profile' and select use release - 'release 1.14.4', then 'save profile'
Click Play to install game
You will then receive an error
Close launcher (Ctrl+C once the Minecraft Launcher crashes)

3 Install Optifine

cd ~/Minecraft && /opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_211/bin/java -jar OptiFine_1.14.4_HD_U_F3.jar
Click install.

4 Run Minecraft launcher

cd ~/Minecraft && /opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_211/bin/java -jar Minecraft.jar
Select the OptiFine profile and click play. The launcher will crash (Ctrl+C once the Minecraft Launcher crashes)

5 Edit runMC1_14_4_OptifineF3.sh

mousepad runMC1_14_4_OptifineF3.sh
Update MINECRAFT_LOGIN, MINECRAFT_USERNAME and MINECRAFT_PASSWORD to your own (may need "" for special characters)
If you are trying to install under any other user other than 'pi', you will need to edit the directories. Replace all "/home/pi/" references with "/home/<username>/" replacing <username> with the user's username.

6 Start Minecraft from terminal window

cd ~/Minecraft
./runMC1_14_4_OptifineF3.sh
Change options in Minecraft to reduce render chunks to 3.

Hopefully Minecraft should run :P

The game works, though I've had it crash a few times with my 3 kids and I playing and a lot going on. I'm accessing a local network mcrcon Raspberry Pi 4 server also running on Raspbian Buster.

If you'd like to setup an icon in your menu, copy the Minecraft.desktop file from /home/pi/Minecraft to /usr/share/applications folder. It's using the Minecraft-Pi icon (won't work if you don't have Minecraft-Pi installed) and it assumes the application was installed with user Pi, but you can edit the file with a text editor to modify it as required.

Please let me know if you have any issues. I had to re-archive everything and use an old launcher to get past the null errors that the current launcher was afflicted with.

EDIT: Mods, this might be better in the Projects->Gaming Thread. Sorry, I was in the Other->Gentoo Forum and originally figured this was appropriate.
Last edited by mtylerb on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

DarkPlatinum

Re: Minecraft 1.14.4 on Raspbian Buster and RPi4

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 am

How did the opengl driver work? All I get is lines on the minecraft window.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

mtylerb

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:08 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Zero issues. All three of my boys are playing Minecraft 1.14.4. One is playing full screen, the other two are windowed. The only issue I've run into is it crashing, like I mentioned, occasionally due to lack of memory. It's happened twice since yesterday. Nothing more than a minor annoyance. Still better than them watching other people play Minecraft on Youtube.

DarkPlatinum

Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:55 pm

mtylerb wrote:
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Zero issues. All three of my boys are playing Minecraft 1.14.4. One is playing full screen, the other two are windowed. The only issue I've run into is it crashing, like I mentioned, occasionally due to lack of memory. It's happened twice since yesterday. Nothing more than a minor annoyance. Still better than them watching other people play Minecraft on Youtube.
You are using the Pi 4 right?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

Salawat

Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Well, I'll be.

I was under the impression latest required a 64bit address space and was knee-deep in building a cross-compiler and the requisite libs for an openjdk8 build to install on my test 4B.

I suppose that saves a bunch of work to get that running for the nephew++!

May keep on building stuff anyway. It's been an enlightening experience, and just what I needed to get me out of my Enterprise Software development induced funk.

mtylerb

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:32 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:55 pm
mtylerb wrote:
DarkPlatinum wrote:
You are using the Pi 4 right?
Yes, Pi4 4GB version.

mtylerb

Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:39 am

Salawat wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:22 pm
Well, I'll be.

I was under the impression latest required a 64bit address space and was knee-deep in building a cross-compiler and the requisite libs for an openjdk8 build to install on my test 4B.

I suppose that saves a bunch of work to get that running for the nephew++!

May keep on building stuff anyway. It's been an enlightening experience, and just what I needed to get me out of my Enterprise Software development induced funk.
I originally tried with the Gentoo 64 bit OS. I just didn't find it as friendly for my boys, one of which is only 3 years old. So I went back to the Raspbian and used runholen's post. Then streamlined it and modified the scripts to do exactly as runholen suggested. It is all runholen's work, I just simplified it for everyone else to install. The lwjgl stuff is a combination of .jar files from the 64 bit version and .so from the 32 bit version. I could probably have gone with the new .231 Java version, but I knew the .211 worked, so I stayed with what I knew. It doesn't have the same stability as 1.12.2, but most of my issues have been the server falling behind.

Salawat

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:16 am

mtylerb wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:39 am

I originally tried with the Gentoo 64 bit OS. I just didn't find it as friendly for my boys, one of which is only 3 years old. So I went back to the Raspbian and used runholen's post. Then streamlined it and modified the scripts to do exactly as runholen suggested. It is all runholen's work, I just simplified it for everyone else to install. The lwjgl stuff is a combination of .jar files from the 64 bit version and .so from the 32 bit version. I could probably have gone with the new .231 Java version, but I knew the .211 worked, so I stayed with what I knew. It doesn't have the same stability as 1.12.2, but most of my issues have been the server falling behind.
I know the feeling. Just got a Pi for an 8 year old as his first PC, and I find myself working to try to make things as easy for him to get used to as possible. I'm hoping I can manage to get him hooked.

Script definitely sped up the process.

Salawat

Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:00 am

Sorry for the double-post. Forgot that forums don't tend to update thread readers on post edits and wanted to make sure to get in feedback from the QA side of my brain.

A) in the setup script,
The wget of the jdk is for 211, but the tar extraction is for 221; change these for consistency

B) In the run scripts, I see several entries for the classpath that end up with /home/<user>/Downloads in them, even though on extraction, all the libs should end up in /home/<user>/lwjgl3arm32

C) Also, (and this may be a me problem, since I'm using a raspbian image I built that has a few quirks I'm in the process of smoothing out) the ca-certs are not up to date for curl such that the curl requests in the run script will succeed without the addition of -k to the arguments. Even after sudo apt-get reinstall ca-certificates.

D) The 221 jdk woopsie is repeated in the runMC1_14_4OptiFineF3.sh script during the java invocation. Make sure the 221 is changed to 211.

E) One more thing: the -Djava.library.path=/home/<user>/lwjgl3arm64 should be -Djava.library.path=/home/<user>/lwjgl3arm32

Just figured I'd point out those difficulties for anyone else who wanders through who might run into the same.

mtylerb

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Salawat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:00 am
Sorry for the double-post. Forgot that forums don't tend to update thread readers on post edits and wanted to make sure to get in feedback from the QA side of my brain.

A) in the setup script,
The wget of the jdk is for 211, but the tar extraction is for 221; change these for consistency -Fixed

B) In the run scripts, I see several entries for the classpath that end up with /home/<user>/Downloads in them, even though on extraction, all the libs should end up in /home/<user>/lwjgl3arm32 -Fixed

C) Also, (and this may be a me problem, since I'm using a raspbian image I built that has a few quirks I'm in the process of smoothing out) the ca-certs are not up to date for curl such that the curl requests in the run script will succeed without the addition of -k to the arguments. Even after sudo apt-get reinstall ca-certificates. Not sure, it does or doesn't work for you?

D) The 221 jdk woopsie is repeated in the runMC1_14_4OptiFineF3.sh script during the java invocation. Make sure the 221 is changed to 211. -Fixed

E) One more thing: the -Djava.library.path=/home/<user>/lwjgl3arm64 should be -Djava.library.path=/home/<user>/lwjgl3arm32 -Fixed - Darn, thought I got all these.

Just figured I'd point out those difficulties for anyone else who wanders through who might run into the same.
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks. Updating it now as I type this. Should be fixed in a few minutes. Sorry, was going cross-eyed looking at the script while trying to reconfigure everything.

Salawat

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:26 am

mtylerb wrote:

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Thanks. Updating it now as I type this. Should be fixed in a few minutes. Sorry, was going cross-eyed looking at the script while trying to reconfigure everything.
Also, I got to doing a little digging on the instability and periodic crashes.

It seems the crashes have something to do with a bad memory allocation. I'm not 100% on the repro scenario, but by running the game with -Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true, you'll see it gets upset at not being able to find a libjemalloc.so on the java library path on startup. The game'll start and run fine until an abrupt abort which may take hours to hit, or can be as short as 15 minutes, which will generate a message about a failed bo mmap at some offset, Aborting. The only consistent factor in my attempts to whittle out a repro scenario is to force the game to do as much loading and unloading as possible, so move as fast as you can, around nightfall fast enough to get large numbers of chunks loading and unloading. The bo mmap I think has to do with the VBO rendering option somehow I'd wager.

The game defaults to the standard system allocator, but I have a hunch that the standard has some weird edge case that'll rear it's ugly head on the Pi. I see the jemalloc jars in the classpath, but no log activity to indicate anything but the standard memory allocator is being used.

I'm going to try to compile the jemalloc library and see if plugging that in fixes the periodic falling over and dying.

mtylerb

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Salawat wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:26 am
mtylerb wrote:

Also, I got to doing a little digging on the instability and periodic crashes.

It seems the crashes have something to do with a bad memory allocation. I'm not 100% on the repro scenario, but by running the game with -Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true, you'll see it gets upset at not being able to find a libjemalloc.so on the java library path on startup. The game'll start and run fine until an abrupt abort which may take hours to hit, or can be as short as 15 minutes, which will generate a message about a failed bo mmap at some offset, Aborting. The only consistent factor in my attempts to whittle out a repro scenario is to force the game to do as much loading and unloading as possible, so move as fast as you can, around nightfall fast enough to get large numbers of chunks loading and unloading. The bo mmap I think has to do with the VBO rendering option somehow I'd wager.

The game defaults to the standard system allocator, but I have a hunch that the standard has some weird edge case that'll rear it's ugly head on the Pi. I see the jemalloc jars in the classpath, but no log activity to indicate anything but the standard memory allocator is being used.

I'm going to try to compile the jemalloc library and see if plugging that in fixes the periodic falling over and dying.
That's awesome. You're far better at this than I am. I'm learning, but nowhere near this level of debugging... Let me know if I can help in any way. I've seen a few error's on the boys' computers after they've crashed, but most of the time they just close them and restart.

sissyneck

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Thank you for this tutorial, I haven't had any luck with the gentoo instructions, so I'm hopeful.

There seems to be an error in the instructions, however, on step 1 (1 Download and run setupMC1_14_4 script), it appears that the code points to a dropbox URL that starts with "hhtps" rather than "htps" and won't proceed with the install. I'm currently unable to proceed past that point.

Thanks again!

mtylerb

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:18 pm

sissyneck wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:33 pm
Thank you for this tutorial, I haven't had any luck with the gentoo instructions, so I'm hopeful.

There seems to be an error in the instructions, however, on step 1 (1 Download and run setupMC1_14_4 script), it appears that the code points to a dropbox URL that starts with "hhtps" rather than "htps" and won't proceed with the install. I'm currently unable to proceed past that point.

Thanks again!
Apologies sissyneck. This should be fixed. Thanks for the report!

sissyneck

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks very much for the quick reply and fix! (and for catching my error in incorrectly writing "htps" rather than "https"). I was able to proceed as far as step 5 (Edit runMC1_14_4_OptifineF3.sh); however when this file opens in the text editor, there is no text to edit. I took my best guess and tried just adding the login, username, and password, as follows:

MINECRAFT_LOGIN = login
MINECRAFT_USERNAME = username
MINECRAFT_PASSWORD = password

inputting my own info, and saving the file, but this did not work.

Thank you!

mtylerb

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 pm

sissyneck wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:54 pm
Thanks very much for the quick reply and fix! (and for catching my error in incorrectly writing "htps" rather than "https"). I was able to proceed as far as step 5 (Edit runMC1_14_4_OptifineF3.sh); however when this file opens in the text editor, there is no text to edit. I took my best guess and tried just adding the login, username, and password, as follows:

MINECRAFT_LOGIN = login
MINECRAFT_USERNAME = username
MINECRAFT_PASSWORD = password

inputting my own info, and saving the file, but this did not work.

Thank you!
My goodness... I had a typo in step 10 that was causing an early script exit. It's fixed now. Just delete the 2 directories and run the script again.

cd ~ && rm -R ~/Minecraft && rm -R ~/lwjgl3arm32
Then start from Step 1 again. I've run the script and it is downloading everything successfully now.

I don't have a spare Rpi 4 to work with, but I do have 2 spare Rpi 3B+ to work with. I'm going to try installing and make sure everything is ironed out.

EDIT: Ok, so everything up until the final run command works on the Rpi 3B+. It just freezes while trying to load. Too heavy... So hopefully everything should be ironed out for Rpi 4.

sissyneck

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

It works! Thank you very much for taking the time to post these instructions, and additional thanks for your responsiveness. A personal note and some background for my gratitude: my daughter is currently going through a difficult period, and I've been trying to make sure she has access to some things she enjoys. She previously played Minecraft on an old Dell the IT guy at my job slipped me on the sly (finding a video card that would work on that machine was a journey with its own tale), but she's been without since that machine ate itself a while back, so getting it to work on a Pi4 is...significant.

Thank you.

mtylerb

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 pm

sissyneck wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm
It works! Thank you very much for taking the time to post these instructions, and additional thanks for your responsiveness. A personal note and some background for my gratitude: my daughter is currently going through a difficult period, and I've been trying to make sure she has access to some things she enjoys. She previously played Minecraft on an old Dell the IT guy at my job slipped me on the sly (finding a video card that would work on that machine was a journey with its own tale), but she's been without since that machine ate itself a while back, so getting it to work on a Pi4 is...significant.

Thank you.
You're welcome. Glad to see it's helping people out. :mrgreen:

tdragovich

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but when i execute java from the /opt/jdk... directory it fails stating no such file. If i execute java using openjdk it takes forever (if it does) to give the option to play. Then after i select the version and save profile, i click play and get a fatal exception error which never "downloads". Now I am hoping it is just an openjdk issue and figuring out how to get the version of java working that is used in the instructions will fix my problems with your directions. I went to the directory and tried to execute the version from the directory by calling the path to the download. That still said file not found. I even tried using ./ to specify this version, but no go.

I am using the newest version of NOOBs on an rpi4 1gb. Any suggestions?

mtylerb

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:45 am

Sorry for the delay. No notifications in this forum sucks when life is busy. I'm not sure that 1GB will be enough. I can barely get it to crawl on a 3B+ with 1GB. All my 4's are running 4GB. I'm going to add this detail to my OP.

rpiMike

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:17 am

mtylerb wrote:
Sorry for the delay. No notifications in this forum sucks when life is busy. I'm not sure that 1GB will be enough. I can barely get it to crawl on a 3B+ with 1GB. All my 4's are running 4GB. I'm going to add this detail to my OP.
You can select ‘subscribe topic’ in the tool drop down menu to get a notification email.

mtylerb

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 am

rpiMike wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:17 am
mtylerb wrote:
You can select ‘subscribe topic’ in the tool drop down menu to get a notification email.
Aha, thanks. :D

mrki0620

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:57 am

Hi to all.
I have recently installed raspian Buster on my 4gb rpi4. I did also a minecraft server installation according to the instructions from

https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... vice/?amp=

It runs on 32 bit version and I have dedicated 2700 mb ram (max for 32 bit mnc server) for the server.
Because the system runs on a ssd (rootfs) and a 1.75 gHz overclocked rpi4, it runs realy well (the mnc server starts fast).
I'd like to give a try with the 1.14.4 minecraft (as a client, connecting to the minecraft server on my local ip:port).
Q1: Do you think this is a bad idea running minecraft on the same rpi4 as server, concerning the resources.
Q2: The server version is 1.15.1, is it a problem connecting 1.14.4 version to it
Q3: Are you using a standard purchased account for login.
Thanks for any your answers, comments.
Peter

mtylerb

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:05 pm

mrki0620 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:57 am
Hi to all.
I have recently installed raspian Buster on my 4gb rpi4. I did also a minecraft server installation according to the instructions from

https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... vice/?amp=

It runs on 32 bit version and I have dedicated 2700 mb ram (max for 32 bit mnc server) for the server.
Because the system runs on a ssd (rootfs) and a 1.75 gHz overclocked rpi4, it runs realy well (the mnc server starts fast).
I'd like to give a try with the 1.14.4 minecraft (as a client, connecting to the minecraft server on my local ip:port).
Q1: Do you think this is a bad idea running minecraft on the same rpi4 as server, concerning the resources.
Q2: The server version is 1.15.1, is it a problem connecting 1.14.4 version to it
Thanks for any your answers, comments.
Peter
Hey Peter,

I currently have a separate RasPi 4 4GB model running the server alone and it has problems keeping up with the 3 boys playing, occasionally. So yes, I think it will be too much.

Minecraft only allows you to connect to a server running the same version as the client you are connecting from. There are server plugins to allow other versions to connect, but I haven't played with these.

Yes.

drdyer9051

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:50 pm

please help a noob

I have a freshly loaded 4G Pi4 running buster.

cannot get past step 2

[email protected]:~/Minecraft $ cd ~/Minecraft && /opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_211/bin/java -jar Minecraft.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException: 
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
	at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:204)
	at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:536)
	at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
	at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:233)
	at net.minecraft.bootstrap.Bootstrap.<init>(Bootstrap.java:45)
	at net.minecraft.bootstrap.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:378)
[email protected]:~/Minecraft $ 
this is java version

[email protected]:~/Minecraft $ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1+rpi1-b01)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)
[email protected]:~/Minecraft $ 
thank you
Bradley

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”