rpdom

Your best Raspberry Pi memories

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 am

I have many good memories relating to my Raspberries. I will list out a few of them below. Please post yours as well.

Getting My first Pi 1B in 2012. I did a lot on that lovely little machine. One thing was to control heating in one room when my wife got her first pet spider. Now she has 28 of them and the same Pi controls the heating for the whole house.

Visiting a local Raspberry Pi Jam and being introduced to people as "the famous rpdom" LOL!

Getting a personal email from Eben apologising for a problem with the forums.

Helping set up the local Code Club in the main Library in the City - sadly I've had to stop doing that after over 3 years now.

Getting a Pi Zero as a Birthday present from my wife <3

Meeting PeterO at a HAM Radio gig where he was talking about work with his Pi.

Still to do: Meet as many of the Raspberry Pi team as possible. Cambridge is only about 50 miles away.

So, what are your memories?

PeterO

Re: Your best Raspberry Pi memories

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:53 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 am
Meeting PeterO at a HAM Radio gig where he was talking about work with his Pi.
OH ! :lol:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:37 pm

One of my fondest Pi memories was the morning I got it to render hardware accelerated 3D directly to the frame buffer, no X Windows involved. I had managed to build Qt 5 on an original Pi model. Which was quite a trick to pull off and took all night to compile!

Another great moment was when I inadvertently connected a Pi to a power supply that was set to 12 volts. Smoke came out and a protection diode jumped off the board. Amazingly that Pi still worked when the supply was set back to 5 volts. At least until the second time I made that mistake...
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

LTolledo

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:08 pm

I'll just list 5 at the moment..... :D

1. Getting it to work (was bit nervous of course)

2. Getting me back to electronics hobby, and programming, after a very very long while.

3. The astonished look on the faces of my family and friends when they saw what I can do with this small board (web browsing, retro-gaming, some IOT stuff, etc). Retro-gaming took the top pick...

4. How it gouged up my W$ system's task, making those systems collect dust, or placed away in the closet.

5. How my electronic component/module inventory grew from one "starter kit box" to a small cabinet full of stuffs (due also in part to arduino projects programmed via RPi)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hippy

Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:58 pm

I have a mixed bag of 'Pi memories', some good, some bad, some I cannot mention. The best are those where I got something to work or learned something new.

Getting a pixel to light on a GPIO attached LCD using my own driver code was probably the most satisfying; a proper 'fist in the air' celebration.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 pm

1. Being told by a colleague at a Broadcom Xmas get together for the apps department in Cambridge and being told about Eben's little project. And we know how that turned out.
2. Going to the get together after the launch of the Pi1.
3. Finding and fixing an obscure bug in the networking code that proved to be present in a number of other Linux network drivers.
4. Some other stuff I got tow work that I cannot talk about.
5. The fantastic work environment with like minded individuals who all believe in the product and work hard to make it better.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

timrowledge

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Getting paid to make Scratch so very, very, much faster. Making a little bit of an improvement in millions of kids lives.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

lpsw

Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Watching my granddaughter's eyes light up after she got her first Python script working, sending Morse code to an LED.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

Return to “Off topic discussion”