darkstar

armel binaries

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:36 am

Should armel binaries run properly on armhf?

I have installed the new texlive DVD contents (via a usbstick) and it mostly works.

However luatex produces bad PDFs for some reason. Ideas why? And fixes?

If it is a new binary that's needed then I reckon that the texlive team would like to know.

itimpi

Re: armel binaries

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:10 am

No, armel binaries are NOT expected to run trouble-free on a armhf based system. In particular anything that uses floating point will NOT work correctly. in fact I am surprised you have managed to get as many to work as you have suggested.

That is why there are completely different sets of repositories for the Raspberry Pi armel and armhf versions of Debian Wheezy. Packages need to be compiled with the target architecture in mind.

mpthompson

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 am

Debian does provide a solution for executing armel binaries under armhf called 'multiarch':

http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/

However, I believe it's only partially implemented in Wheezy and considered to be highly experimental. I just don't have the time these days to investigate it myself.

It's possible that it may indeed work under Raspbian, but Plugwash seemed to think there were some issues with some of the libraries that prevent it from working. It would be very useful if some brave soul investigate multiarch and produce a list of changes needed to be properly supported in Raspbian armhf.

darkstar

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:58 am

Actually tested with a bit of lua, and no the armel fp doesn't work.
------------
a= 1.1
io.write('a=' .. a .. '\n')
------------
If you run armel texlua you get "a=0", rather than what you want. So I guess that when generating the PDF luatex has a bit of floating point that silently barfs which the pdftex doesn't.

Is there anybody in the raspbian team that would help texlive maintain a good armhf collection of binaries for their distro?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

darkstar wrote:Is there anybody in the raspbian team that would help texlive maintain a good armhf collection of binaries for their distro?
Are the texlive packages we are shipping not "good" or do you just want to serve those users who absoloutely must have the latest.

Sander

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:40 pm

plugwash wrote:
darkstar wrote:Is there anybody in the raspbian team that would help texlive maintain a good armhf collection of binaries for their distro?
Are the texlive packages we are shipping not "good" or do you just want to serve those users who absoloutely must have the latest.
I wonder about that too: I just did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install luatex
on my armhf, and luatex version and output look good:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ luatex
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.2-2012071307 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
**^C
[email protected] ~ $ vi test.lua
[email protected] ~ $ lua test.lua 
a=1.1
[email protected] ~ $
Disclaimer: I know nothing about luatex ... ;)

darkstar

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:27 pm

The reason that texlive is "special" is that there are two ways to ensure you have an uptodate texlive: via apt-get for your distro or via the separate texlive route.

When you install texlive via the DVD (usb stick in our case), it installs the texlive tree (macros and binaries) in its own directory structure. You can then symlink to the binaries. You can then run tlmgr and install as you wish either from the DVD or live repository.

However if you have binaries from the debs/apt-get then you can't be sure which one you are using.

So if you choose to go via the texlive/tlmgr route then you install a fake package to stop apt-get inadvertently installing over the top of your install.

Also you can keep your texlive uptodate even on an aging/archived distro.

Return to “Raspbian”