PAlfredfrancis

Google api in a raspberry pi

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi,
I have built a Visual STUDIO GUI with the Google api linked with my google sheets. It works fine in the visual studio but when I import the .exe file in the raspbian and open them with MONO the GUI works fine but google api doesn't.
Any thoughts on this?

topguy

Re: Google api in a raspberry pi

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Any thoughts on this?
That programs should give errors messages and log problems to a log-file or something to make it easier for people to figure out what is wrong without a crystal-ball.

PAlfredfrancis

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 am

That did. But me being new to this environment didn't understand anything.
All I could figure out is that the API commands for VS and PYTHON(raspbian) is different.
But when I import it as a .exe file does it really matter in raspbian environment?

W. H. Heydt

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:39 am

PAlfredfrancis wrote:
All I could figure out is that the API commands for VS and PYTHON(raspbian) is different.
But when I import it as a .exe file does it really matter in raspbian environment?
In general, one would not expect a .exe file to run on a Pi at all. .exe files are compiled to run on x86 or x86-64 architectures, not the ARM architecture used by Pis.

PAlfredfrancis

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 am

Oh I didn’t know that. But is there a way I can run a GUI made from VS in raspbian and link it with google api or even if its not an google sheets is there a way I can make it in a excel sheet(offline)? Is it doable?

topguy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:50 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
PAlfredfrancis wrote:
In general, one would not expect a .exe file to run on a Pi at all. .exe files are compiled to run on x86 or x86-64 architectures, not the ARM architecture used by Pis.
The keyword is "Mono", this is a .NET application ( its my assumption since the UI is working ) and yes they come with a ".exe" ending, confusing right..

topguy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:54 am

But maybe showing those messages/logs to us in this forum would be a good idea then.

But can we just get an confirmation about what language/framwork you have written your application in. "Visual Studio" is not ONE programming language.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:08 am

topguy wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:50 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
PAlfredfrancis wrote:
The keyword is "Mono", this is a .NET application ( its my assumption since the UI is working ) and yes they come with a ".exe" ending, confusing right..
Rank stupidity from MS. Using the same .exe file extension for a non-native/platform independent byte code. Insane.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Heater

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:43 am

Especially as they missed the opportunity to use the .net extension for their .NET applications.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Other programming languages”