Heater

Re: Does VPN really help for Internet Privacy?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

The only commercial VPN I'm ever likely to trust is from F-Secure : https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/products/freedome

Except that does not work on Linux never mind a Pi.

So it's wireguard for me.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

lucyhales

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am

Yes, they do.

A VPN is a must for internet privacy, specially now since everyone is after you data.

logcabin

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 pm

My Pi is used exclusively for a VPN gateway. A VPN isn't a complete solution to privacy, as the VPN providers will admit, but it's a good building block. HTTPS, unfortunately, used to be secure but isn't now, and only encrypts browser traffic (and any other facility which uses HTTPS). Your ISP can (and probably does) break HTTPS with a MITM attack.

A VPN will hide your information from your ISP and make it difficult for trackers to track you by geo-location.

Timescale

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:12 am

In essence, a VPN is a glorified proxy server. It is not magic! It does sprinkle fairy privacy protection dust over your devices, it is just a data tunnel with added client-service encryption.

Does it protect you? That very much depends!

There are various good reasons to run your own VPN just as there are reasons to use a third party service. The key however is to actually know beyond the buzz-word, why you would want to run any version of the concept.

What are you trying to actually accomplish?

bealefay

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 am

Yes, vpn helps.
but not to intruders. this will not be enough for them

Return to “Off topic discussion”