pyrowiz

Using Ubuntu Server instead of Raspbian - Any downfalls?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi folks. I'm new to Raspberry world and I'm considering using Ubuntu server instead of Raspbian. The main reason is that I don't need the desktop environment and I'm really comfortable with the Ubuntu server.

The question is, other than the usual server processes I also want to do things with GPIO but I have never worked with GPIO ports before. So I'm wondering if Raspbian has any specific package advantages or custom tweaks compared to other distros on that front?

Thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Using Ubuntu Server instead of Raspbian - Any downfalls?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:03 pm

You could use Rasbian lite, no desktop.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mattmiller

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 pm

So I'm wondering if Raspbian has any specific package advantages or custom tweaks compared to other distros on that front?
All GPIO stuff is developed and tested on Raspbian

The fact that it works on other distro's is just fortunate

bjtheone

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:07 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:15 pm
So I'm wondering if Raspbian has any specific package advantages or custom tweaks compared to other distros on that front?
All GPIO stuff is developed and tested on Raspbian

The fact that it works on other distro's is just fortunate
Actually I would say it is more like, it is developed, tested, works, and is supported on Raspbian. It MAY work on other distros. The likelihood certainly goes up if they are also debian based, but there are going to be differences. The gross differences are going to be fairly easy to at least find, it is the subtle ones that will drive you crazy.

If you are comfortable with Linux, it probably will be fine. However, you may not get a ton of help with any weird bugs you encounter. Personally if you want to develop I would stick to Raspbian Lite. It is close enough to Ubuntu server that you should have no problems with it, and has the added advantage of being the supported OS that most people are developing on.

dustnbone

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:33 pm

From the user perspective Raspbian Lite is very similar to Ubuntu Server.

I think the biggest difference is their release model, and the selection of packages installed by default.

They also have a different installer but we don't use that anyway with our premade Pi images being written directly to media.

I've been a long time Ubuntu Server user and can't think of anything that's tripped me up using Raspbian Lite. The desktop is a bit of a different story.

pyrowiz

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely give Raspbian Lite and see how things go.

Return to “Beginners”