fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:14 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:51 am
What I'd like to see is a no GPIO header installed version of the Pi 4, like the PI Zero without header. That would let you mount a Hat etc underneath it instead of on top of it. Put a female header on the back side of the Pi instead of a male on top. Or us a stacking header and do both, POE hat on top and a hat underneath the Pi for instance. Make it optional.

Excuse me but the title is Raspberry Pi4B, not some wonderful stupid and idiotic I want, need, desire, must have, the RPF / RPT will die without this feature.

Please can this get back on topic :roll: :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:
What I'd like to see is a no GPIO header installed version of the Pi 4, like the PI Zero without header. That would let you mount a Hat etc underneath it instead of on top of it. Put a female header on the back side of the Pi instead of a male on top. Or us a stacking header and do both, POE hat on top and a hat underneath the Pi for instance. Make it optional.

Excuse me but the title is Raspberry Pi4B, not some wonderful stupid and idiotic I want, need, desire, must have, the RPF / RPT will die without this feature.

I was talking about the Raspberry Pi 4B. So I was on topic. Being able to plug your Hat in underneath it would IMHO make it easier to mount a cooling solution on top, and have a HAT attached.
And I'll thank you to stop putting words into my mouth, I did not say anything about the Pi dyeing without said feature. Exaggerate much?

dickon

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I expect fruit is harking back to the halcyon days of page 13 or so in this thread, where people started saying just those sort of things, until JamesH got (rightfully) grumpy.

Wouldn't an upside-down HAT be a HAB?

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:00 pm

dickon wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm
I expect fruit is harking back to the halcyon days of page 13 or so in this thread, where people started saying just those sort of things, until JamesH got (rightfully) grumpy.

Wouldn't an upside-down HAT be a HAB?
That's fine, just don't quote me and imply that I said it?
The Hat would still be right side up, just under the Pi instead of on top of it.
I have several Pi Zero's with female headers on the bottom. It lets me plug them into things like the Mini Black Hat hack3r and not have to use a ribbon cable. And a lot of the pHats I buy from places like Pimoroni come with the GPIO header not soldered on. That lets me swap it out for a stacking header etc. It's nice to have options is all I'm saying. And its not adding a new feature, all they have to do is not solder in the GPIO header.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:32 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:

I was talking about the Raspberry Pi 4B. So I was on topic. Being able to plug your Hat in underneath it would IMHO make it easier to mount a cooling solution on top, and have a HAT attached.
And I'll thank you to stop putting words into my mouth, I did not say anything about the Pi dyeing without said feature. Exaggerate much?

Apologies, but every time a sensible discussion gets derailed, you had responded to a what would be nice further getting into " pink ponies "

You idea was already mooted in another post as far as I recall....

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Apologies, but every time a sensible discussion gets derailed, you had responded to a what would be nice further getting into " pink ponies "

Here's a thought, why not just let the moderators moderate the forum? Who are you to tell me what I can and can't post here?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:36 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:

Here's a thought, why not just let the moderators moderate the forum? Who are you to tell me what I can and can't post here?

Here an idea discuss the Raspberry Pi 4B SBC as has been sold up to this point, not some fictional future feature !

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Yes, can we please go back on topic?!

ColonelDare

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:21 pm
Yes, can we please go back on topic?!
May I at least change the subject? As we moved onto the Pi 4 we lost the ability to run Stretch (I believe), sadly one of my favorite music players Clementine won't run due to GT5 (I believe, c/o helpful Pugwash back in June.)

My post on Page 36 of this forum seems to have garnered no interest, yet. Redirect me if this is the wrong place to raise the ideas, but having lost what was an excellent package, can we revisit my suggestions/queries that I raise here?:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1571955

I am currently running 'Strawberry Music Player' very nicely on both my Pi4's, whilest my embedded Pi Zeros continue on Stretch/Clementine.

All else about the Pi4 is great thanks - and well done to the guys [M & F] who have done such a good job on gettting the thermals under control - I compiled 'Strawberry MP' on my Pi4, in a case, wearing an A2D+DAC hat, with no fan and it didn't throttle, running at about 76C. Cool might I say! :-)

trejan

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and Clementine

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:24 pm

ColonelDare wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:43 pm
Back in June I was all sad because I lost Clementine (and thank you for the helpful explanation anyway).
I have just spotted the Strawberry Music Player currently being developed based on Clementine.
see: https://github.com/jonaski/strawberry

Is there any hope this might be a way forward? I have been using Rhythmbox in lieu, but Clementine was _so_ much better.
Any advice on correct protocols for requesting more good stuff in Raspbian will be respected.
Maybe. Strawberry doesn't use OpenGL as it doesn't have the visualisations that Clementine has. That means the QT5 + OpenGL problem shouldn't affect Strawberry. There has been significant changes made in Strawberry though so you may want to try it on a Windows/OSX machine first to see if you even like it.

ColonelDare

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:07 pm

trejan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:24 pm
Maybe. Strawberry doesn't use OpenGL as it doesn't have the visualisations that Clementine has. That means the QT5 + OpenGL problem shouldn't affect Strawberry. There has been significant changes made in Strawberry though so you may want to try it on a Windows/OSX machine first to see if you even like it.
Thanks for your interest - yes I do like it! I am currently running it on both my Pi4's and it runs my record library great. I'm not too worried about visualisations, tho running on the Pi I notice it does have the analyzer bar, album cover art and a watermark strawberry (in lieu of a slice of orange). The visuals are almost identicle to Clementine and much better than either RhyrhmBox or VLC

Only two problems as I see it:

[*] Having to compile the executable on each machine (I'm not clever enough to roll it up into something that is easy to move from machine to machine) using the Github source and a load of additional Buster libraries (only).

[*] I haven't yet found out how to add my own favorite music stations (but it does offer 'Tidal', 'Qobuz' and 'Subsonic' streams - whatever they are).

Can we not offer an easier to install and use package for people who don't want to get their hands dirty?

trejan

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:38 pm

ColonelDare wrote:
I'm not too worried about visualisations, tho running on the Pi I notice it does have the analyzer bar, album cover art and a watermark strawberry (in lieu of a slice of orange). The visuals are almost identicle to Clementine and much better than either RhyrhmBox or VLC
I mean https://clementine-player.github.io/pag ... -0.4-3.png when I say visualisations. Clementine uses libprojectm for the sound reactive graphics which is why it wants OpenGL.

ColonelDare

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:19 pm

trejan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I mean https://clementine-player.github.io/pag ... -0.4-3.png when I say visualisations. Clementine uses libprojectm for the sound reactive graphics which is why it wants OpenGL.
Thanks for pointing that out, but I don't need that option and having used Clementine for at least 5 years I have not used nor wanted that feature. I usually turn all that stuff off as it is a distraction ('tho not on my headless music players - I just VNC into them to change channel/album/whatever).
PiPhat.jpg
PiPhat.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 885 times
It just seems a bit of a shame to lock us out of all the good stuff that does work using Jonas's Strawberry reworking of Clementine which, he says:
I think Clementine is almost abandoned at this point. It looks like Clementine is still in debian, but it looks unmaintained, they base it on git but a very old commit. So it's a good idea to compile from source in that case.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm

ColonelDare wrote:
Can we not offer an easier to install and use package for people who don't want to get their hands dirty?
"Getting your hand dirty" (in terms of code) is pretty much the entire reason the Pi exists.

ColonelDare

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:21 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm
"Getting your hand dirty" (in terms of code) is pretty much the entire reason the Pi exists.
Yes, I know. I think you miss my point.

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm

I have a pHat Beat setup as an Internet Radio. It has buttons for the volume up down change channel etc. I wired up my own mini arcade buttons to make life easier. The buttons on the pHat Beat are really small and hard to access with my setup. Its in an old subwoofer box.
It is I believe VLC Radio. It's not running Buster just yet though. Its working just fine so I'm doing a don't fix what isn't broken. ;)
If it crashes and won't boot up I'll have a go at running Buster on it then.

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Software installs are getting easier with some retailers. I buy a lot of Pimoroni stuff and they have one line installers for a lot of what they sell. Works for me. That might not appeal to those that want to know what's going on in the background. Or want to do a custom install.
Pimoroni also have the manual install steps listed if you want to go that route. So the best of both worlds I guess. I'm a Linux NOOB so I use the one line installers and cross my fingers.

maxipower

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi,
Why RPi4 cpu only running one core when reading VP9 files?
Such a powerful cpu can only read up to 1080p in VP9...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 pm

maxipower wrote:
Hi,
Are you sure it's only using one core? Will need to check with the codev guys, but I thought VP9 was partially HW accelerated now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

6by9

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Memory says that VP9 needs certain ENCODER settings to allow the decoder to go multi-threaded, and the number of cores is also dependent on encode settings.
Not all tasks can be parallelised.
(I may be remembering VP8, but they're closely related).
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

maxipower

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:27 pm
maxipower wrote:
Hi,
Are you sure it's only using one core? Will need to check with the codev guys, but I thought VP9 was partially HW accelerated now.
I think so, I had already created a topic because RPi4 didn't handle 4k VP9 videos …

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=258064

Return to “General discussion”