crofter

max size of sd card that a pi4 will work with ?

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm

hi
what is the max size of sd card that a pi4 will work with without issues

thanks
crofter

DougieLawson

Re: pi 4b

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm

With NOOBS it gets difficult over 32GB. [You can go larger but you have for do special formatting of your NOOBS card on Windows over 32GB.]

With plain Raspbian the limit is 1TB (current max size of an SDCard). [But is technically limited only by the max size of an ext4 filesystem.]
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

crofter

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:50 pm

thanks
crofter

HawaiianPi

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:14 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm
[But is technically limited only by the max size of an ext4 filesystem.]
Not really, since the Pi computers support the SDXC standard, the max is 2TB. The ext4 filesystem can handle much larger, but 2TB is largest card the SDXC standard supports (after that it goes to SDUC, a future standard that I believe uses a different connection with more contacts).

As DougieLawson said, there are no 2TB micro SD cards available yet (1TB is largest at time of post), but when they are available (legitimately) they should work. Note that in models earlier than the 3B+ there's a bug in the bootloader that prevents the system booting from a card larger than 256GB (that's what I've read anyway, I have not tested it for myself), but the Pi4 should be good with cards up to 2TB.

EDIT:
To format cards larger than 32GB for use with NOOBS, use Fat32format GUI, available from the following site.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm

Again, that's only needed for NOOBS. Writing a Raspbian image will overwrite everything previously on the card, so prior formatting or file-systems don't matter.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

oicfar

Re: max size of sd card that a pi4 will work with ?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:31 pm

crofter wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:21 pm
hi
what is the max size of sd card that a pi4 will work with without issues

thanks
crofter
My Pi's are using an microSDXC 64 GB. And one of them currentyl 128 GB microSDXC. And I will switch to 200 GB.

RossDv8

Re: max size of sd card that a pi4 will work with ?

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:10 am

I had various freezes, notably in Chromium, but sometimes in other stuff, using a Samsung EVO Plus 128G card, which went away when I swapped to running on an SSD.
other than that, the larger microSD was excellent.

Other then the occasional short freeze when doing something like scrolling a page (quite easily lived with) there were no problems reading and writing files and playing media.
Not sure what happens with speed, reading and writing to larger microSD cards though.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Return to “General discussion”