Yotaphoner

Does 1750Mhz need overvoltage and a fan?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi, still don't have the Rpi4 but I will on Christmas and I plan to OC on it to 1750, because of warranty topic, so I am wondering until where I could OC without modifying the voltage.

If some of you don't know it, overvolting or setting the turbo_mode=1 changes permanently a bit on the SoC so make you have lost your warranty

Also want to keep the raspberry being silent so I prefer to not have a fan on it. Anyway the raspberry pack I will receive will come with a little fan, but would love to not use it. Could I OC to 1750Mhz with a heatsink but not the fan?

Thanks

dustnbone

Re: Does 1750Mhz need overvoltage and a fan?

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:50 pm

It really depends on the use case, if it's going to be normal desktop type use with short bursts of high processor activity it will probably be fine with passive cooling. If you're planning to do hours of continuous processing (compiling big software on all 4 cores, etc) then you'll want to use some kind of a fan.

I'm not sure how stable it will be running 1.75ghz at stock voltage, I haven't needed to overclock a Pi4 yet, so that may be your limiting factor if you're trying to preserve warranty status.

Cooling them seems pretty simple though, as long as they're not sealed up in a case it seems pretty difficult to get them to throttling temperature.

BeauSlim

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:30 pm

You want quiet and you want to preserve the warranty, and these are both at odds with overclocking.

If you *do* need that little performance bump, or if you just want to overclock for fun, I'd just make sure that you have good air flow over the sink. If testing shows that your Pi is averaging more than around 55C, use a larger sink.

drgeoff

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 pm

Overclocking capability varies from individual chip to individual chip. You cannot rely on someone else's overclocking experience to be the same as yours.

The default settings are what all the SoCs are guaranteed to run stably at. If all the chips would work OK at higher settings, those higher settings would have been chosen as the defaults.

Yotaphoner

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:42 am

dustnbone wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:50 pm
It really depends on the use case, if it's going to be normal desktop type use with short bursts of high processor activity it will probably be fine with passive cooling. If you're planning to do hours of continuous processing (compiling big software on all 4 cores, etc) then you'll want to use some kind of a fan.
I pretend to use the Rpi4 4GB as a desktop computer. I tried to do it with the Rpi3b+ but it was a little not enough powerfull. Rpi4 4GB seems to be good enough, but in some causes, like youtube, it seems it doesn't act very smootlhy, so goving that extra 250Mhz and maybe some more GPU should help a little.
BeauSlim wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:30 pm
You want quiet and you want to preserve the warranty, and these are both at odds with overclocking.

If you *do* need that little performance bump, or if you just want to overclock for fun, I'd just make sure that you have good air flow over the sink. If testing shows that your Pi is averaging more than around 55C, use a larger sink.
Well, it seems if you respect those 2 details the warranty stays steady. Let's see how good/big is the heatsink it comes with the pack I ordered
drgeoff wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 pm
Overclocking capability varies from individual chip to individual chip. You cannot rely on someone else's overclocking experience to be the same as yours.

The default settings are what all the SoCs are guaranteed to run stably at. If all the chips would work OK at higher settings, those higher settings would have been chosen as the defaults.
Anyway, other people experiences gives you a general idea of the possibilites, otherwise there would not be so many web pages showing benchmark results and comparisions about every SoC on the market

dustnbone

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 am

Yotaphoner wrote:

I pretend to use the Rpi4 4GB as a desktop computer. I tried to do it with the Rpi3b+ but it was a little not enough powerfull. Rpi4 4GB seems to be good enough, but in some causes, like youtube, it seems it doesn't act very smootlhy, so goving that extra 250Mhz and maybe some more GPU should help a little.
Making things like youtube work well generally require some finesse on the Rpi, rather than brute force in the form of overclocking. If you use the KWeb browser suite with the youtube-dl/omxplayer system it includes, you can play 1080p Youtube with almost no work from the CPU at all.

Link to the relevant thread. I highly recommend you read it if you're a desktop Pi user.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=40860

Imperf3kt

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 pm

dustnbone wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:52 am
Yotaphoner wrote:

Making things like youtube work well generally require some finesse on the Rpi, rather than brute force in the form of overclocking. If you use the KWeb browser suite with the youtube-dl/omxplayer system it includes, you can play 1080p Youtube with almost no work from the CPU at all.

Link to the relevant thread. I highly recommend you read it if you're a desktop Pi user.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=40860
I've been using a Pi4 running Raspbian to play YouTube videos at 1080p for weeks, absolutely no difficulties here, stock Raspbian install.

I do get the odd screen stutter and the HDMI audio is garbage, but it just works. No finesse required.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

dustnbone

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Is this in Chromium? Maybe they've done work on it but last time I checked it was software decoding. It seemed just on the edge of dropping frames at stock speed. If it's using the omx decoder now that's awesome.

pica200

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:08 am

To give you an idea: For 1.8 GHz you need over_voltage=2. That's right on the limit of my SoC and going 50 MHz higher makes it kernel panic at boot. Temperature is a bit higher but not by much. Warranty is only voided if you both overvolt and use the force_turbo=1 option. But you can archive basically the same by changing the CPU scaling governor without voiding warranty.
Source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... locking.md

If you want quiet get a case that acts as a heatsink. There are many of these around.

Return to “Advanced users”