Jawikama

Installed Samba but not visable on the network

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi all.

I've installed Sabnzbdplus on my raspberry pi succesfull and started downloading.
Now I want all downloaded files available for my devices and i installed Samba to do so.
Unfortunately Samba started with showing a map which i did not configure and while trying to get it working I can not login any more and all my devices say that the server does not respond.
As a nono on this area i've tried all kind of solutions provided by Google but the result is still nothing.
Also i can not find any log files related to Samba. I have the idea that i only get further away from the solution.
Removing Samba and reinstall gives no improvement. (all samba config files are not removed by this)

Looking at this i believe that something else is causing issues and blocking Samba to work properly.

Does anyone has an idea how i solve this?

Thx in advance

Regards Jacob.

pcmanbob

Re: Installed Samba but not visable on the network

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:09 pm

After you installed samba did you add a user and set up a folder to share ?

have a look at the samba setup in the magpi magazine for more details

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/ ... ile-server
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

hortimech

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 am

No, don't follow that howto, follow the official Samba one:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Settin ... one_Server

Your problem is probably a lack of SMBv1, this is now turned off by default and without it, there is no network browsing.

Jawikama

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:50 pm

thanks for the help but unfortunately everything is already tried as most of this is also available by google.

Looking at my setup and I did several attempts in smb.conf
[global]
workgroup =workgroup (like on my pc)
Security = user
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
server role = standalone server

[share]
path = media/pi/usb/shared
available = yes
browsable = yes
only guests = no
writable = yes
public = yes
guest ok = yes

So after a fresh reboot the system work fine except the samba part.
When I connect via my PC to \\192.168.2.55\ (ip adres on my server) it finds my raspberry and asks for userid and password so i login with user = pi and correct password and i get an error "no access to \\192.168.2.55" and when I click on solve problem it returns with "the external source does not accept connection".

So the pi reacts on my request but even though i populate the correct userid and password it does not let me pass.

Anybody any idea what is happening here?

hortimech

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Did you read the link I pointed you to ?

Lets look at the smb.conf you are using now:

You don't really need the workgroup line, it is the default.
You do not need both 'Security = user' and 'server role = standalone server'

Now for the share:
'available = yes' and 'browsable = yes' are defaults, so are not needed.
'only guests' is actually 'only guest' and the default is 'no', so again not needed
'public = yes' and 'guest ok = yes' mean the same thing, so you only need one, but you haven't set 'map to guest = bad user' in global, so whichever you pick will do nothing.

Read our documentation: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Settin ... one_Server

iznobe

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi ,

when samba is well configured , you must add your user ( probably pi ) to the sambashare groupe , without this , pi can NOT acces to sambashare , RTFM as said before !

if you want you can add more than one user , to give access , if it is not a public share.

your device is windows ? if not , use NFS is more simple with linux or android or mac .

DirkS

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am

In addition what was mentioned above:
path = media/pi/usb/shared
Looks like an invalid path to me. Probably missing a leading '/'

Jawikama

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for your comments and help sofar.

unfortunately i tried everything you mentioned, i have been reading all linked pages, changed small mistypes etc etc but still i'm not able to connect.
Strange thing is that when i try to connect to the IP address it asks for my userid (which is PI but also created and tried other) and password and it also directly shows more options as if the raspberry pi is responding.
When entering the userid and password it either attemps to connect for a very long time, or it returns instantly with a new uid/pasw screen or it tells me that the server is not responding.

So it seems to me that the PI is alive and reacting but after that it does not accept anything.

I

Jawikama

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:48 am

And additional it seems logic to mee that the raspberry pi is visible on the network section of my PC (or laptop as both have the same issue) but it is not.

Return to “Troubleshooting”