TablatureDude

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I was not able to work this out. I have some vacation time next month and I may dig into this again. I will update if I make any progress.

dwalkerUSD

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:38 pm

I am having issues using the command below to manually upgrade Screenly:

Code: Select all

bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)
I tried using the command without -s to see what was going on and I get:

curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

This occurs on both RPi 4 and 3b+.

I can get this to run if I add the -k (--insecure) option, but this is not preferred. As it is, I have Screenly running on RPi 4 with no issues, but now I can't get it set up on a new one using either the image or by installing Raspbian Lite and running the above command. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

---------------------------
EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently, Infosec made some ssl inspection changes. Thanks!

dwalkerUSD

Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Issue with installing Screenly on RPi 4. I have one Pi 4 (4GB) running quite nicely. Now when I go to set it up:

1. If I use Etcher to burn the image, Pi does not come up to screenly, cannot SSH in.
2. If I try with NOOBS, Screenly is not even listed as an option (it is when I use the same version of NOOBS on Pi 3b).
3. If I install Raspbian Lite, the execute the bash command, it will enter command line after it reboots.

I believe it was NOOBS that I used on the existing Pi 4 that is running. What am I missing? Thanks!

procount

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:02 am

The version installable by NOOBS is not indicated as being suitable for the Pi4, hence it is hidden from view so it is not installable unless you use the 'showall' option in recovery.cmdline.
I haven't seen any announcement that it is compatible with the Pi4, although you seem to have it working.
It's up to the maintainers to keep the suitable model variants up to date for NOOBS.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Stese

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Screenly experts.

I'm trying to get Basic Auth setup with a webpage, and i'm following the instructions here :-

https://www.screenly.io/blog/2018/11/27 ... -with-pro/

now. i've noticed that the link is 'with pro'

Can I not use authentication methods at all with OSE?

Regards,

Steve D.

ShotguN

experimental fork console acces

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:01 am

Hello everyone!

I just updated screenly ose to latest experimental fork. Now ctrl+alt+F1 does not do anything anymore. Screenly operates as usual changing images. I found out that ctrl+alt+del now reboots the RPi wich was a pleasant suprise! Any info how i get to console now?

Have a great day everyone!

richms

Re: Screenly OSE - timezone setting on balinacloud

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 am

The balena cloud documents are talking about it being in UTC, and needing to set the timezone in the container.

I just dont understand what I need to do to get the time on websites in the slideshow to be correct, I can see nothing in screenly to set it, and the balinacloud docs all say that it should be set inside the container, and give some example code of a few line short file as an example of where to set it. here - https://github.com/balena-io-playground ... r/start.sh -

Any pointers at all? I am not wanting to learn about docker or balena cloud too much at the moment, just want to get a working slideshow that is entirely stored on the pi so I can use it without hammering data for the resources to show like any of the easier cloud based slideshow things like yodeck or pisignage.

Naesstrom

Problem with Google Slides

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi! I'm new and trying to setup screenly with balena cloud to manage my schools signage but I can't gett it to work with Google Slides.
After I published it and set the auto start, loop duration etc. in slides I copy the URL and paste it in Screenly but it removes the options from the URL all the time. Sot it just plays through the presentation once and then stops on the last slide?

ruben_vc

Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 pm

I'm setting up a new Screenly OSE system managed with Balena on Raspberry Pi 3B+ devices.
I notice that it takes a while to load an image. You literally see the image appearing from top to bottom.

Is there something to help/prevent this behaviour? I've already tried raising and lowering the GPU memory but this didn't help.
I feel like it is because how the system works. It changes asset and then starts to download the required materials instead of already downloading them a few seconds beforehand.

mmaslar

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Does Screenly OSE Sprint 10 work with Raspberry Pi4? I've downloaded 2019-09-25-Screenly-OSE.zip and installed it via Balena Etcher and again via Raspberry PI Installer (custom image). Result is the same either way: No HDMI video output, no response to keyboard, USB mouse seems to be inactive (no light).

If yes, what are the steps for installing it as a custom image? (https://www.screenly.io/ose/ Option 1 is what I've been doing.)

Note: I'm new to Screenly.
I did verify that the Micro SD card works & successfully installed Raspbian Full to it & then wiped it and installed LIBREELEC.

pauldow

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 pm

Can I add Balena Cloud functionality to an existing RPi that is running Screenly? I can only find instructions for new installations with Balena OS.

I had a screen running with Balena, but it’s connected through a hotspot that often needs to be reset. The RPi often wouldn’t reconnect so the display would go dark. I wanted to restart the RPi daily, but the Balena console wouldn’t let me get to -su level functions. Also, the hotspot connects through a mobile phone connection, so it’s IP address can change.

I rebuilt the RPi with Raspbian and Screenly. I put a daily reboot in Cron. I would like to add remote control so I can update the images on the digital sign.

I don’t mean to be rude, but please, no lecture on how the RPi never ever needs to be restarted. It’s been running and connecting fine for months with the overnight reboot.

Thanks for any help.

anuar

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:25 pm

I am afraid they don't supports YouTube videos out-of-the-box.

If you do have the right to use the video you can use something like a like youtube to mp3 https://mp3converter.al/converter to retrieve the video.

adjio

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 pm

Hello, I was trying to make Screenly OSE work on my Raspberry Pi 4 (4 GB) to display a video on two different displays (with the dual Micro HDMI ports) to no avail. Are there any guides to make sure I am doing this correctly because sadly it didn't work for me just doing what's on Github. I tried both flashing an image via Etcher (or I think Raspberry Pi Imager) and it just gave me a black screen. I also tried using Raspbian Lite and do the bash script also with no good results.

ealmonte32

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:18 pm

pauldow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 pm
Can I add Balena Cloud functionality to an existing RPi that is running Screenly? I can only find instructions for new installations with Balena OS.

I had a screen running with Balena, but it’s connected through a hotspot that often needs to be reset. The RPi often wouldn’t reconnect so the display would go dark. I wanted to restart the RPi daily, but the Balena console wouldn’t let me get to -su level functions. Also, the hotspot connects through a mobile phone connection, so it’s IP address can change.

I rebuilt the RPi with Raspbian and Screenly. I put a daily reboot in Cron. I would like to add remote control so I can update the images on the digital sign.

I don’t mean to be rude, but please, no lecture on how the RPi never ever needs to be restarted. It’s been running and connecting fine for months with the overnight reboot.

Thanks for any help.
As far as I know, with regards to adding balena cloud functionality to an already existing system, you cannot do this because Balena OS is the underlying supervisor "operating system" that boots and all of the communication that happens between the device and you seeing it in the balena cloud dashboard and able to control it, can only happen because of this balena OS.

If you want to have a cron job script that reboots the systems like you have on the non balena based rpi, I suggest taking a look at this suggested method/example here: https://forums.balena.io/t/correct-way- ... ne/36663/2

ealmonte32

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm

mmaslar wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:56 pm
Does Screenly OSE Sprint 10 work with Raspberry Pi4? I've downloaded 2019-09-25-Screenly-OSE.zip and installed it via Balena Etcher and again via Raspberry PI Installer (custom image). Result is the same either way: No HDMI video output, no response to keyboard, USB mouse seems to be inactive (no light).

If yes, what are the steps for installing it as a custom image? (https://www.screenly.io/ose/ Option 1 is what I've been doing.)

Note: I'm new to Screenly.
I did verify that the Micro SD card works & successfully installed Raspbian Full to it & then wiped it and installed LIBREELEC.
Nope, Sprint 10.1 is built with Stretch, and RPi4 as you know does not support Stretch, only Buster.
To get Screenly working on RPi4 you need to manually burn the Buster Lite image from here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... s/?C=M;O=D

And then run the install script via command line/terminal. (I suggest selecting the development/master branch to get the latest fixes etc)

Return to “Other projects”