Re: Raspberry Pi 4 usb boot?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

clicky wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:56 am
jamesh wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:50 am
harwoodr wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:21 am
Still no movement on booting RPi4 from usb....they dont seem to realise that to some users boot speed and reliabilty are important, come on guys you promised that this feature would be added, if it doesnt come soon we will be into Rpi 5 already
Q. Do you think we are stupid
A. No, we are not, and someone is working on it right now. You made a colossal mistake - that of think that just because YOU haven't seen any progress, that there hasn't been any progress. News for you, that's not how it works.

You clearly do not realise how complex it actually is to do this. Requires an entire open source (not GPL) USB 2/3stack to be found/developed, to cope with whatever can be plugged in. Plus a USB HW driver that works via the PCIe interface, so PCIe also needs to work. All in the bootloader! Huge amount of very complex work.

As for boot speed - already referenced above - quicker to use an SD card!!!!!

Reliability? Got any figures? I've had terrible reliability from SSD's and great reliability from SD cards...
This was quite unnecessary. Is it called 'feeding the troll''?

Nobody with half a brain and good intentions do not presume that you're not doing anything. On the contrary! How many times we were positively surprised with new developments (I'm just referring to everything you've done after original Raspberry Pi was released)?

People who are using Raspberry Pi 4 B daily (like me - booting it from SSD) do not complain nor have any issues at all. People who refuse to turn on 'common sense' part of the brain will complain about pretty much everything. Just imagine what kind of barrage of 'negativity' will spawn from introducing USB boot - it will be by default broken, not worth, bad, and who knows why not suitable (for them)...
Entirely necessary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

thagrol

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:38 am

pepeEL wrote:
LTolledo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am
As a temporary measure am also booting my RPi4B-4G with M.2 SSD using RonR's script to set it up...

no real problems so far..... :D
Please share this script with manual how do it?
I think you'll find it has been linked to at least once in this thread already. You did read the thread before posting didn't you?

Failing that a forum search shold find it (hint: try "usb boot made easy")
Attempts to contact me outside of these forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

B.Goode

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:54 am

pepeEL wrote:
LTolledo wrote:
As a temporary measure am also booting my RPi4B-4G with M.2 SSD using RonR's script to set it up...

If the answer given the last time you asked in this thread is not adequate, perhaps it would be more productive to say in what way it does not meet your expectations?

If there is some restriction imposed by the third-party Operating System you hope to use, maybe ask the developer/maintainer of that release to help you....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4#p1550329

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:05 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:57 pm
clicky wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:56 am
jamesh wrote:

Q. Do you think we are stupid
A. No, we are not, and someone is working on it right now. You made a colossal mistake - that of think that just because YOU haven't seen any progress, that there hasn't been any progress. News for you, that's not how it works.

You clearly do not realise how complex it actually is to do this. Requires an entire open source (not GPL) USB 2/3stack to be found/developed, to cope with whatever can be plugged in. Plus a USB HW driver that works via the PCIe interface, so PCIe also needs to work. All in the bootloader! Huge amount of very complex work.

As for boot speed - already referenced above - quicker to use an SD card!!!!!

Reliability? Got any figures? I've had terrible reliability from SSD's and great reliability from SD cards...
This was quite unnecessary. Is it called 'feeding the troll''?

Nobody with half a brain and good intentions do not presume that you're not doing anything. On the contrary! How many times we were positively surprised with new developments (I'm just referring to everything you've done after original Raspberry Pi was released)?

People who are using Raspberry Pi 4 B daily (like me - booting it from SSD) do not complain nor have any issues at all. People who refuse to turn on 'common sense' part of the brain will complain about pretty much everything. Just imagine what kind of barrage of 'negativity' will spawn from introducing USB boot - it will be by default broken, not worth, bad, and who knows why not suitable (for them)...
For those who think I'm being a bit harsh, here's an analysis.

"Still no movement on booting RPi4 from usb" Untrue statement, work is being done.

"....they dont seem to realise that to some users boot speed and reliability are important" Yes, we do. Some users. Not a huge percentage btw. And incorrect in that SD card/USB boot is faster, and unduly pessimistic about SD card reliability, which is fine.

"come on guys you promised that this feature would be added" Yes we did, and it will be. We said it would be months, and it's taking months. We are doing exactly what we said we would do.

"if it doesnt come soon we will be into Rpi 5 already" No, it really won't. Pi5 is years away. USB cardless boot is months away.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

k-pi

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 pm

They released early so that manufacturers could get a head start, & that's likely the reason the 4GB version was in short supply.
(A certain manufacturer of thin clients had a supply).

This RPi4 version wasn't really due to be released until 2020, & I'm guessing that is why so much of the software drivers isn't ready.

I've put mine aside until all of it functions work as promised, it's an unfinished product, it will hopefully be fully functional eventually, but at this rate, not likely before next February, at a guess.

dickon

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm

You're just trolling now.

jamesh

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:42 pm

k-pi wrote:
They released early so that manufacturers could get a head start, & that's likely the reason the 4GB version was in short supply.
(A certain manufacturer of thin clients had a supply).

This RPi4 version wasn't really due to be released until 2020, & I'm guessing that is why so much of the software drivers isn't ready.

I've put mine aside until all of it functions work as promised, it's an unfinished product, it will hopefully be fully functional eventually, but at this rate, not likely before next February, at a guess.
All complete rubbish. One more like that are you are out of here. It's concern trolling pure and simple. In fact, no, I think you are going right now. You've been warned before.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:03 pm

k-pi wrote:
That was a function of the expected number of revision cycles for the silicon. Since an earlier than expected version worked, the release was moved up and many, many people are happily using Pi4B boards as they are.
The more fool you.

jamesh

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:14 pm

jcyr wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:02 pm
jamesh wrote:
You clearly do not realise how complex it actually is to do this. Requires an entire open source (not GPL) USB 2/3stack to be found/developed, to cope with whatever can be plugged in. Plus a USB HW driver that works via the PCIe interface, so PCIe also needs to work.
Sounds like a lot to stuff into the EEPROM? Too bad you can't use GPL code... Is this a consequence of the VC code being closed source proprietary code?
Not exactly, somewhat more to do with bootloader security AIUI, but could be wrong, and of course, if one bit is GPL, it all needs to be GPL. And we would then need to supply a compiler or provide the means to get hold of it....and we are not allowed to distribute the compiler - it's not ours to do so. And it is not available to the general public from a third party.

So, a number of reasons.

More information here https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resourc ... guide.html

RonR

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm

pepeEL wrote:
LTolledo wrote:

Running Raspbian from USB Devices : Made Easy

RossDv8

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:01 am

I was running my Pi 4 from a 128GB Samsung EVO Plus microSd card and planning to re-image my 240GB SSD that had been used on the Pi 3B+ later when the USB boot had been sorted. But I noticed a few performance issues with the microSD, and decided to try it sooner.
So yesterday I followed the old instructions, and imaged the SSD using etcher, then imaged an old Sandisk ultra 16GB card that was not being used and followed the directions to modify the cmdline.txt - and it didn't work.

I had ended up with something like a 7GB SSD, but I figured I could ignore the unallocated space and do a resize later with gparted or something, then once it was booting (initiaalised from the microSD) I would just copy all my /home/pi stuff over..
I tried a couple of other things which also failed. Then I read a supposedly 'simple' method, and used SD Card Copied from the Accessories menu.

Once I modified the UUID for the root file system, the thing booted immediately and lo and behold, my personal desktop layout and all the icons for my shell scripts were in their panel.

So I opened the file manager, expecting to see the SSD listed as 128GB total, since it was cloned from the microSD card.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Free Space of about 192GB and Total Space of 218GB, which is about right because the WD 240GB SSD always reports 220GB. My guess is there might be some sort of redundant space for maintenance or whatever.

Anyway, no need to resize anything. And everything has been working brilliantly.
So for anyone holding off setting up their SSD because they are waiting for firmware or something to change - I reckon it's probably not worth the wait, because I doubt the start time to a usable screen is more than 2 seconds different.

Performance seems about average, but considerably faster than the microSD.

[email protected]:~ $ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 1542 MB in 2.00 seconds = 770.55 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 874 MB in 3.00 seconds = 290.88 MB/sec
[email protected]:~ $

Which was great until I read this post:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... d#p1488304

Where it said:
'... if needed), and edit /etc/fstab to mount the SD card as /boot, so that kernel and firmware updates are properly applied.'

So I commented out the line with the SSD /boot UUID on it, and replaced it with the UUID of /boot on the SD card. Saved ad did a reboot.
And got a Windows Blue Screen Of Death! Well, that's what it looked like. Powered off for a few seconds and powered on, and the Pi was up and running. Tried it a few times with the same result.

So I edited /etc/fstab and removed the new line, and the # in front of the old one. Tried reboot, and same problem.

Now, I only changed one line from this:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
PARTUUID=b2fbcf8a-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=b2fbcf8a-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
# use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that

to This:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
#PARTUUID=b2fbcf8a-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=5e3da3da-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=b2fbcf8a-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
# use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that

5e3da3da-01 is /boot on the microSD
b2fbcf8a-01 is /boot on the SSD
b2fbcf8a-02 is root on the SSD

I would have thought reverting to the original fstab should return my reboot function to normal.

If someone knows a reason it doesn't, please let me know.
If someone can confirm that next time I do this I should NOT edit fstab so the /boot of the microSD card is mounted, that would be great too.

It was working quite nicely using /boot on the SSD
For now, until I decide to reimage the SSD I will just use the power switch in to reboot.
Last edited by RossDv8 on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:40 am

dickon wrote:
That's mostly what k-pi does. It's gotten even worse since the release of the Pi4, but he used to troll Pi3 USB boot threads as well.

I'm fine with /boot on SD for now, and would rather have that than wait for the Pi4 with USB boot later.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jamesh

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:06 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:40 am
dickon wrote:
That's mostly what k-pi does. It's gotten even worse since the release of the Pi4, but he used to troll Pi3 USB boot threads as well.

I'm fine with /boot on SD for now, and would rather have that than wait for the Pi4 with USB boot later.
Dealt with, no need for further comment.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:10 am

Don't move /boot to the SSD until it's being used to boot the system. While it's booting from the (small) SDCard you need to have that partition mounted at /boot or it WILL break when the raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader packages get an update.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

RossDv8

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Don't move /boot to the SSD until it's being used to boot the system. While it's booting from the (small) SDCard you need to have that partition mounted at /boot or it WILL break when the raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader packages get an update.
Question to DougieLawson or perhaps jamesh

I'm curious. When the SSD is imaged, fstab points to /boot and /root as BOTH being on the SSD.
I read the post that said to edit fstab, as well as your reply above, to mean that fstab should be changed as I showed in my post.
But when I had changed it, reboot no longer worked.

So why should fstab be changed to show a reference to /boot on the microSD, rather than the default of /boot on the SSD?
From wat I could make out, leaving fstab showiing /boot on the SSD when the initial boot is done from the microSD can screw up kernel upgrades, firmware etc.
A reminder that I did not 'Move' /boot to the SSD. I edited the line in fstab to 'point' to /boor on the microSD.- as per someone's iinstruction that not doing the edit would mess up kernel and firmware updates. :-)

But if it 'should' be changed - why does that change kill reboot?
until you fart ...

Kendek

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
So why should fstab be changed to show a reference to /boot on the microSD, rather than the default of /boot on the SSD?
Obvious why. Because if the real boot partition is not mounted under /boot, the boot files, firmware, EEPROM and the kernel will never be upgraded.
Last edited by Kendek on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dickon

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
Question to DougieLawson or perhaps jamesh

I'm curious. When the SSD is imaged, fstab points to /boot and /root as BOTH being on the SSD.
I read the post that said to edit fstab, as well as your reply above, to mean that fstab should be changed as I showed in my post.
But when I had changed it, reboot no longer worked.
What actually happened: the reboot command didn't actually reboot the machine, or that the machine wouldn't boot after you'd made the change? I assume the former, in that 'reboot' itself is failing.
From wat I could make out, leaving fstab showiing /boot on the SSD when the initial boot is done from the microSD can screw up kernel upgrades, firmware etc.
That is correct.
But if it 'should' be changed - why does that change kill reboot?
My guess is that something is going wrong with the unmounting procedure in the shutdown sequence somewhere. There's likely an error message being printed somewhere -- check the logs, or watch it from the console rather than X -- but you may not be seeing it.

I'd also remove the 'noatime' clause. atimes are useful, and the removal of them when on a proper SSD is unnecessary.

RossDv8

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks dickon. I
checked and double checked each step as I did it, and I've just finished reading every post I can to check again. The SD card is relatively new, everything was working fine until I modified fstab, and as I saved the steps for future reference, the uuids shown in my post are all as they should be.

But as soon as fstab was changed and I tried to reboot - well, that was the last successful reboot. Until I changed fstab it all worked perfectly - except as you and others write, kernel and firmware stuff will not update if I leave it as default.

I am about to edit fstab again to point /boot to the microSD card again. And while I am at it I'll remove noatime.

The one thing I did differently from instructions was that I commented out the default /boot entry with a # and added the new one as a new line.
It is possible that cmndline.txt does not accept lines starting with a # as commented out.

Back to the drawing board...
until you fart ...

dickon

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Ah. No, I don't believe cmdline.txt should be anything other than the actual line you want as the kernel commandline (as seen (amended by the bootloader) in /proc).

dickon

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Oh, if you make the change and it doesn't reboot cleanly, reboot it anyway, and try and reboot it from there. It will probably work. I expect the issue is something like the reboot scripts being unable to umount your SD card's /boot from /boot as it isn't mounted there. A second boot will have the SD's /boot mounted as /boot, and thus a reboot will be able to umount it and it all should work.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:55 pm

The kernel7l.img (or kernel8.img) in /boot has to match the stuff in /lib/modules/4.19.xx-v7l+ or /lib/modules/4.19.xx.v8+ if you get those things out of step your Raspberry won't boot (or if is does boot lots of things will be crippled).

Until your SSD is the boot and rootfs device you must ensure /boot in /etc/fstab points to the partition on your SDCard.

With this output from a blkid command

Code: Select all

/dev/mmcblk0p1: LABEL_FATBOOT="boot" LABEL="boot" UUID="CD28-6C97" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="1ed7e7e8-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="f6a555de-3a70-4f54-aa59-a39a6b8426bb" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="1ed7e7e8-02"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="oldroot" UUID="037616fd-28fe-4652-8248-2042ea30b929" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="225f1efd-01"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="newroot" UUID="f6a555de-3a70-4f54-aa59-a39a6b8426bb" TYPE="ext2" PARTUUID="225f1efd-02"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="1ed7e7e8" PTTYPE="dos"
Like this:
/boot/cmdline.txt

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=225f1efd-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
/etc/fstab

PARTUUID=1ed7e7e8-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=225f1efd-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
Last edited by DougieLawson on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

RossDv8

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks dickon. I had been trying reboot from the command line and also from the GUI. Neither would work. So after making sure I had the fstab edited to point /boot to the microSD, I tried an old trick I used to use on big computers before I retired. I started unplugging stuff.

Specifically, I shutdown, unplugged the SSD and tried booting. I got 4 strawberries and no sign of anything further. So that was expected behaviour because it should have been looking for a non existent SSD.

Then I powered off and replaced the microSD with a bootable Buster with the works. It booted fine.
Next I swapped the microSD card for the small one I use to boot the Pi to the SSD and checked again. 4 Raspberries and black.
Powered off, plugged in the SSD and tried again. Booted.

Tried a command line reboot and it worked. I forgot to try a GUI reboot because I mostly use command line, but at the moment I'm relatively happy again - although I cannot find any logical reason reboot failed. Redoing the fstab I copied exactly what I had previously and pasted it.

I can't blame the Pi, and I'dstill love to work out just what the problem was. Anyway, thanks to the people who weighed in and advised me where to look. I have the SSD running again and the difference over even a really good microSD is amazing.
until you fart ...

RossDv8

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 pm

My /boot/cmdline.txt is identical on the microSD and the SSD.
Is that a problem? Or can it create issues. I don;t know how it happened, but they both have the correct partition info to boot to the SSD. Probably the result of someone with brain injuries editing stuff :-)

In the meantime, I think I found the cause of the reboot problem. My SSD is usually plugged into a non-powered USB 3 hub because I was running on a large microSD card and just accessing the SSD as storage.

Initially I left the SSD plugged into the hub. Earlier today I had a problem running a 3TB USB drive and the SSD in the hub at the same time, so I pulled the hub, plugged the SSD into the port the hub had been in hoping it would still think it was SDA (it did). It was some time after this that I discovered I should have edited fstab, and when I tried to reboot, well, that's a few posts before this one.

About 10 minutes ago the system stopped rebooting again. So I tried replacing the hub and plugging the SSD back into it. Several reboots later and so far so good. I'll edit this tomorrow to advise whether is is continuing to play nice..
until you fart ...

RossDv8

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:00 am

Ok, the promised followup to the problem booting after setting up the SSD then editing fstab to point to /boot on the microSD card!

It is the following day, and the reboot problem is gone as long as I have the SSD plugged into the non-powered USB 3 hub.
However, if I take the USB 3 hub OUT of the USB port on the Pi and plug the SSD directly into it - I cannot reboot, either via command line or GUI.
I have tried this quite a number of times and the result is always the same.
But before modifying fstab, when /boot defaulted to the boot partition on the SSD, reboot was fine.
And if I return fstab to default and plug the SSD directly into the USB 3 port on the Pi - reboot is fine.
It is only when I have fstab edited so /boot points to /boot on the microSD that reboot fails.

Last night I tried another microSD card - with the same result (I am getting so tired of changing UUIDs) before going back to the one I had, so it is probably not a faulty card.

Anyway, for what it is worth, that;s my experience, just in case someone else experiences the same problem. It is NOT a fault with my Pi 4. I suspect that had I not had the SSD plugged into a USB 3 hub when I first set stuff up, 'maybe' I would not have the problem, but I cannot see logically how it would be different. SDA should be SDA after all, whether the drive is in the hub or directly into the port, once it is identified as such.

I apologise for the long posts, but as usual I try to give details of my stuff ups - not just a vague 'don't buy a Pi - they're rubbish'.
The Pi 4 running on the SSD is so much smoother and faster than it was running on the microSD card, that I'm kicking myself for procrastinating about setting it up :D
until you fart ...

torak666

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:00 am

Hi, i used on rapsbian buster included for the Pi4 the SD CARD software in accessorie menu, to copy boot to SSD.

I changed the PARTUUID of the rootfs in /boot/cmdline.txt by the PARTUUID of my SSD external drive SDA1.

After trying to reboot, i have this error.

I don't understand what i forget to do. Or if it's my SSD drive which is not compatible for boot? i use a samsung SSD 860 evo plus 500Go wired on one USB3.0 input on the PI.
I will try tonight to check in /etc/fstab the PARTUUID is the one of the SSD.

Or i will try another solution reinstall raspbian buster from NOOBS directly on the SSD.

Thanks for any help
Regards

Return to “General discussion”