Mjdula
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am

Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 am

I just booted my pi 3 b+ and found that the ip address is no longer one that is being issued by my routers dhcp. My router would issue it with 193.168.0.xx. However now it has 658.467.127.275 for some reason. Can anyone help me to solve the readon for this and how i can fix it.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:17 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
Mjdula wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 am
I just booted my pi 3 b+ and found that the ip address is no longer one that is being issued by my routers dhcp. My router would issue it with 193.168.0.xx. However now it has 658.467.127.275 for some reason. Can anyone help me to solve the readon for this and how i can fix it.

There seem to be several things here that are difficult to believe before breakfast.

Principally that IPv4 address is a 32-bit number that uniquely identifies a network interface on a machine. An IPv4 address is typically written in decimal digits, formatted as four 8-bit fields that are separated by periods. Each 8-bit field represents a byte of the IPv4 address.

So 658.467.127.275 cannot be an IPv4 address, since three of the fields exceed the permitted value.

Mjdula
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 am

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am

I completely agree, hence my need for help. I can take a screen shot when I'm home. The pi boots and as I'm using it for node red it runs the gpio pins fine. I just cannot log into it or use the node red locally.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:03 am

What Operating System are you running on your RPi 3b+ ?

pootle
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact: Website

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 am

post the output from ifconfig.....

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 am

Mjdula wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am
I completely agree, hence my need for help. I can take a screen shot when I'm home. The pi boots and as I'm using it for node red it runs the gpio pins fine. I just cannot log into it or use the node red locally.

In addition to the apparently assigned address being technically 'impossible', the 193.168.0.xx. you expect seems to have been issued by Deutsch Telekom for use in a city in Germany - is that what you would anticipate?

Cob
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 am

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:57 am

Surely the router should issue an 192.168.0.xx. address

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 10356
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

Cob wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:57 am
Surely the router should issue an 192.168.0.xx. address

Maybe the router belongs to the organisation to whom that address range has been assigned? (Unlikely, but not impossible.)

Or maybe there are multiple typographical errors in the original post. The 'evidence' will be of interest.

Fraoch
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Re: Pi Wifi IP messed up

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Mjdula wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 am
However now it has 658.467.127.275 for some reason.
As stated before, that can't be possible.

Do you mean maybe a link-local address, 169.254.x.x? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

That would be the address it would give itself if it didn't receive a response from the DHCP server, so not connected to the network.
Pencoed-made Model 1B, Samsung memory
2B 1.1
3B+
4B 2GB

Return to “General discussion”