Ierdyr

Power supply

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 am

Ok so i am thinkimg of buyimg a Raspberry Pi 3 b+ and I wad wondering if I could use the micro usb from a ps4 controller charger or if I would need to buy a new one(if that’s the case please link me to some where I can buy it at the right voltage)

alphanumeric

Re: Power supply

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Andyroo

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Key word in your post is CHARGER.

You need a power supply and not a charger - save yourself a lot of future hard to track down issues and follow the link provided above (been there - had the problems - bought the power supply)...

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Ierdyr wrote:
Ok so i am thinkimg of buyimg a Raspberry Pi 3 b+ and I wad wondering if I could use the micro usb from a ps4 controller charger or if I would need to buy a new one(if that’s the case please link me to some where I can buy it at the right voltage)

There is nothing to charge up on a Raspberry Pi SBC !!!
Retired disgracefully.....

Ierdyr

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks for the reply of course I meant power supply (my fault).
But would I power the raspberry pi with an ps4 controller charger (it is a micro usb) if it was inserted in a pc or would I need to get the official power supply?

(I am new to English and most google translate so sorry if I missed something)

jahboater

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 pm

Ierdyr wrote:
Thanks for the reply of course I meant power supply (my fault).
But would I power the raspberry pi with an ps4 controller charger (it is a micro usb) if it was inserted in a pc or would I need to get the official power supply?
I would get the "official" power supply.
It is cheap to buy, is good quality, and works perfectly - probably because it was designed specifically for the job.

pcmanbob

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 pm

You can't power the pi from a USB port on a PC using your charger cable, as the USB port on the PC will only supply 500mA which is not enough to power a pi3B+, the answer has already been supplied get the official power supply.
Last edited by pcmanbob on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:23 pm

Ierdyr wrote:
(I am new to English and most google translate so sorry if I missed something)
Just for your information... These forums have an extensive list of sub-forums in various non-English languages. The odds are very good that there is one for your native language.

HawaiianPi

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:57 pm

Ierdyr wrote:
Battery chargers are not required to maintain precise voltage regulation, because that is not needed for charging batteries (in fact, some charging algorithms require voltage changes during charging). Because of that, many will not maintain a stable 5V under load.

I used to have a "5V/2.4A" phone charger that dropped well below 5V at only a 1A load. It worked fine for charging my phone and tablet, but it was a lousy Raspberry Pi power supply. In addition, the battery in a PS4 controller is likely quite small, and I can't imagine the charger would output anywhere near the 3A recommended for powering a Raspberry Pi 4B.

So using your PS4 controller charger is not recommended, and would probably not work well.

The official Raspberry Pi4 power supply is affordable, and of course, works great.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”