Sulforaphane
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 am

What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm

What folders should I backup, if I want to clone my Raspberry Pi?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 9849
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Sulforaphane wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm
What folders should I backup, if I want to clone my Raspberry Pi?

If you are running the recommended and supported Raspbian Buster Operating System, simply use the provided SD Card Copier utility and let that make the clone.


(But otherwise: if you want a clone, ie. an exact replica, you need to backup everything.)

Sulforaphane
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:29 am

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm
Sulforaphane wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:27 pm
What folders should I backup, if I want to clone my Raspberry Pi?

If you are running the recommended and supported Raspbian Buster Operating System, simply use the provided SD Card Copier utility and let that make the clone.


(But otherwise: if you want a clone, ie. an exact replica, you need to backup everything.)
Thanks!

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 16764
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

Do note that if you are looking at the SD card in something like a Windows system you will only see a small number of the files required. This is because Windows does not understand Linux file systems, so ignores them.
Unreadable squiggle

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 2723
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm
Do note that if you are looking at the SD card in something like a Windows system you will only see a small number of the files required. This is because Windows does not understand Linux file systems, so ignores them.
Or asks you to reformat the partition to something it does understand. Which you shouldn't do coz you'll lose everything in it.
Attempts to contact me outside of these forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

RossDv8
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:04 pm

If you run the SD card copier in 'Accessories' in your menu, it may be better NOT to use a smaller SD card unless you are sure it has enough space to take 'everything' that is on the card you are using :) (Easy to do if you forget your glasses).

It is handy to have a spare card with everything on it Justin Case. I clone mine every couple of weeks just to take a complete backup including new programs I have added, SD Card Copier is a very, very handy tool.
Last edited by RossDv8 on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 16764
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:04 pm
If you run the SD card copier in 'Accessories' in your menu, remember NOT to use a smaller SD card :) (Easy to do if you forget your glasses).
Why not?

As long as the card being copied to has sufficient space for all the files and a bit left over, it'll be fine.
Unreadable squiggle

RossDv8
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: What folders to backup, if I want to clone the device?

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 am

I modified my answer to suggest one should check if the destination card has sufficient space :-)
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Return to “Beginners”