stefanv

Wi-fi and Bluetooth applet issues after upgrading to Stretch

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 pm

I have just updated one of my Raspbian systems from Jessie to Stretch. The update went well, and everything seems to be working except for two small issues:
  • The bluetooth applet/indicator is missing from the panel at the bottom right of the screen, even though my previously configured bluetooth keyboard is working fine (I'm typing this using it).
  • The wi-fi applet/indicator is showing that there's no connection, even though there is a connection, and it's working fine.
panel.png
panel.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 223 times
I tried going into the panel preferences to add back the bluetooth applet, and to try removing and re-adding the network applet, but the checkboxes next to both of them are missing:
prefs.png
prefs.png (27.09 KiB) Viewed 223 times
I've search on-line for solutions, but all I could find are solutions to the wi-fi and/or bluetooth not working at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Wi-fi and Bluetooth applet issues after upgrading to Stretch

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 pm

stefanv wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 pm
I have just updated one of my Raspbian systems from Jessie to Stretch. The update went well, and everything seems to be working except for two small issues:
  • The bluetooth applet/indicator is missing from the panel at the bottom right of the screen, even though my previously configured bluetooth keyboard is working fine (I'm typing this using it).
  • The wi-fi applet/indicator is showing that there's no connection, even though there is a connection, and it's working fine.
panel.png

I tried going into the panel preferences to add back the bluetooth applet, and to try removing and re-adding the network applet, but the checkboxes next to both of them are missing:
prefs.png

I've search on-line for solutions, but all I could find are solutions to the wi-fi and/or bluetooth not working at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jessie and Stretch are both end of life and the Raspberry Pi Foundation has never recommended going from one Raspbian Release to another.....

...grab a spare SD Card and start with Raspbian Buster:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/buster ... -raspbian/
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

stefanv

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

If they were end-of-life, it wouldn't have been possible to do the upgrade. Jessie is not EOL (i.e. no more security updates) until June 2020. Stretch is not EOL until June 2022.

Starting a new system from scratch is a pain, as there's just too much stuff to set up all over again.
Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:18 pm

stefanv wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm
If they were end-of-life, it wouldn't have been possible to do the upgrade. Jessie is not EOL (i.e. no more security updates) until June 2020. Stretch is not EOL until June 2022.

Starting a new system from scratch is a pain, as there's just too much stuff to set up all over again.

Debian and Raspbian have a different end of life.

RPF / RPT have stated in various posts that they will only provided "critical" updates if and when absolutely necessary.

The advice is as stated in various Blogs to start with a fresh install.

You are more than welcome to disagree and I hope you can fix your issues and have made back ups !!
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

stefanv

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks. Yes, I made a backup of my Jessie image before updating it, so I can easily go back if need be. But FWIW, I have several Raspbian Jessie systems, and I regularly update them and get lots of updates, so clearly someone is still maintaining Jessie.

stefanv

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I managed to fix both issues. There is a different network manager to select from the panel applets, and that one shows up and works. I fixed the bluetooth applet using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall blueman

Return to “Troubleshooting”