mtmcdonough

wi-fi printer not responding

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi. We have a mixture of Raspberry pi and Windows computers on our network. They all print wirelessly to a Canon laser jet printer. We had to make changes to our wif-fi router and ended with a new network name and password. I changed the settings on the Canon printer to the new router network and password. On the Window's, computers, I logged on to the new network and printed successfully from each computer.

When I tried to print from the Raspberry pi's, I got a printer not responding message. I tried using CUPS and it shows the printer as being not responsive.

I tried searching for a new printer in CUPS and nothing showed up. Are the wi-fi network name and password stored in some file that is related to the printer? If so, how can I find it and update it? The Raspberry's are ethernet wired into our network so they can use all the resources except they cannot print.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm very new at this. Thanks!

scruss

Re: wi-fi printer not responding

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:16 am

what model of Canon? It matters a lot.

Is the Raspberry Pi on the same network as the printer?

If your Canon supports AirPrint (direct printing from Apple iPads etc) then it should also support IPP. You can try installing these packages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install cups cups-ipp-utils system-config-printer
and see if the Raspberry Pi sees the printer.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mtmcdonough

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 am

Thanks for your reply. The printer is a Canon MF 410. The Raspberry pi's are on the same Windows network ( I assume) through an ethernet connection but not on the same wi-fi connection to the printer wi-fi (because the router network name and password were changed).

I hope this makes sense to you.

Printing from the Raspberry's worked fine for over a year until we changed the network name and user name on the Netgear Router.

mark

mtmcdonough

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:49 am

Netgear router network and password was changed. Typo! Sorry.

mark

scruss

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:56 am

The MFC410 should work. But if they're on different networks, they won't.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

mtmcdonough

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi and thanks for your message. I don't think I have a printer problem at all. I think what has happened by changing the network name and password in the wi-fi router, the raspberries have lost connection to wi-fi. Reading about connecting to wi-fi, it appears in can be done by creating a Boot wpa_supplicant.confi file that includes the wi-fi network name and password or it can be done using the sudo raspi-config in the command line.

I do not know which method was used by the tech support guy who installed our Raspberries and he is long gone.

I'll try the command line approach and see if we get connected. If that fails, I'll look on the SD card for the Boot file.

Thanks, again!

davidcoton

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:10 pm

The two methods are equivalent. The file placed on the Boot partition is moved to the normal location, so you won't find it there. Unless you need to start again, particularly with remote access (headless), command line is the way to go.

You can also directly edit the file:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

mtmcdonough

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks. I used sudo raspi-config and changed the network name and password for the wi-fi. I checked that it was changed by doing sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. The changed network name and password are in that file and are correct. I did an ifconfig -a and the wlan0 is there.

So it seems the Raspberry is seeing the wi-fi network. But the Canon printer is still not responding and print jobs are held up.

It seems there must be a missing step. I'll try re-installing the printer. Thanks, again.

mtmcdonough

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Success! The Raspberry pi is printing to the Canon MF410 laser jet. I used CUPS to add a new network printer and it worked!

Thanks to all who helped.

mark

Return to “Troubleshooting”