drgeoff

Re: What was your first computer?

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm

XimenaR wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 am
Jongoleur wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:58 am
My first computer was a Science of Cambridge Mk14, though learning to program using SC/MP machine code in 256 bytes of memory was a challenge.  After a while, it was sold and I was computerless until I got a ZX81.

Thereafter I had a C64 (beige case), an Amstrad 1512 and several "self built" PC clones with 386, 486 and Pentium processors.  Aside from the main sequence I've also had (for specific purposes) an Archimedes 3010 and a Mac Mini (which was a disappointment).

Currently, a box with an AMD thingy lurks under my desk and I've a laptop and netbook elsewhere around the house. I tried an android tablet but gave up in disgust (cheap ones are no good and expensive ones are too expensive!).

7+5?  Oh come on....
I think my brother had this computer when we were young. I could really relate with the memory issue, it was such a pain! And Mac mini was a huge disappointment! Gosh, those times when you had to deal with these models!
@XimenaR
There are at least 12 computers mentioned in the post you quoted. Which one do you mean by "this computer"?

Will5455

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 pm

first computer to use was a custom computer with amd thingy on asus moboard first to use frequintly was a dell 755 micro form and first to own was (and is) a hp pavilion g6 with a core i3 2330m and amd radeon 7400m graphics card
I do strange things and am sometimes the techhead stereotype.
deal with it!

fuente

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:14 pm

My baby was Pentium 4 2.0, I immediately fell in love with PCs and the internet and man, was I hooked ;)

flanylla

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm

IBM ThinkPad R50e. I seem to recall the RAM being upgraded to 768MB. Sadly that computer was sold for parts years ago to someone...

mrreality13

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 am

circa: 1999 was a hp with a cele something or other that my aunt gave me that had been in a house fire in winter and frozen in about 8 inches of water from firemen in oh feb...took it home tore it down let it sit about a week to dry out re assembled and it fired up and was in service for almost 4 yrs after then i started building em (no coding)-last rig i built was a domed s939 amd something...
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

frank_richard

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 am

my first computer was Lenovo R61i laptop, which i purchased in 2008, it's specs were 2 gb ram, 80gb hard disk and intel celereon processor with windows 7.

beifeng

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:34 pm

My first computer? This question brought me back to 20 years ago!

I started my career as a Chinese language translator and I needed a computer to handle my jobs. So I went to the electronic market and "gathered" the CPU, ROM, hand disk, the motherboard, and main machine.. It was a PC in no brand, but it worked amazingly...

PSX

Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm

My first computer was way back in 1986 which was called ATARI 65XE. I could have ATARI ST but my parent couldn't afford it. It got some great games for it such as ZYBEX, Dragnus and so on.

Then one year later, I got Commodore 4 as they have better games such as Turrican, Turrican 2, IK+, Rick Dangerious, Pitstop 2, Golden Axe and so on.

Then in 1991, I got Amiga 500 Cartoon Classic with Bart Simpons, Captain planets, Lemmings(I love the puzzle game with Excellent Music!). There is too many Games lists on what I like such as Supercar 2, Lotus 2, Speedball 2, Xenon 2, Turrican 2(bit harder than C64 Versions!) and so on.

Then in 2000, I got PC Petium 3 700MHZ with 512MB ram and it was most Costly PC I ever bought from PC WORLD(Never again as might well build your own PC Spec!) and got some good games for it but not good as Amiga thought!

ejolson

Fri May 17, 2019 4:55 am

PSX wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm
My first computer was way back in 1986 which was called ATARI 65XE.
I remember those. The ST still has a very modern look to me. What was the first machine for which you wrote a computer program?

Tonysharka

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 am

My first purchased computer was Intel Pentium 3 and i have played the game in it was DOOM

Imperf3kt

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 pm
jameetsingh wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm
Hi
My first computer is Pentium 3 with 2GB ram at that time it is sufficient for me and loves to work on it. but nowadays no one wants to use slow PC every one love speed and save time I am a writer and photographer I love to write about animals and their wildlife I started my recent blog on it HunterHunts. I don't know how it going on but I love to write and follow my passion. Sometimes I love to play games plz suggest me a good gamer laptop or Pc.
Are you sure there was 2GB RAM on that Pentium 3 computer?

Many Pentium 3 motherboards were built using an Intel 440BX or 815 Northbridge that only supported 512MB maximum. VIA had a chip set that supported more and there must have been a server-class motherboard from Intel that did the same. Do you remember any more details?
I believe the post you are replying to and the one below it, are made by spambots
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

ejolson

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:40 pm
ejolson wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 pm
jameetsingh wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm
Hi
My first computer is Pentium 3 with 2GB ram at that time it is sufficient for me and loves to work on it. but nowadays no one wants to use slow PC every one love speed and save time I am a writer and photographer I love to write about animals and their wildlife I started my recent blog on it HunterHunts. I don't know how it going on but I love to write and follow my passion. Sometimes I love to play games plz suggest me a good gamer laptop or Pc.
Are you sure there was 2GB RAM on that Pentium 3 computer?

Many Pentium 3 motherboards were built using an Intel 440BX or 815 Northbridge that only supported 512MB maximum. VIA had a chip set that supported more and there must have been a server-class motherboard from Intel that did the same. Do you remember any more details?
I believe the post you are replying to and the one below it, are made by spambots
It's interesting that spambots speak in broken English.

For me there is a distinction between first computer and first video-game machine. The former is programmed by the user to perform computations while the latter is not. Before the unbreakable DRM on recent game consoles, the difference between the two was more about usage than hardware: Among programmers it was not uncommon to buy a PlayStation 3 in order to write code for the IBM Power4-based cell processor inside. Among nonprogrammers it was not uncommon to buy an Intel-compatible PC with the sole intention of playing games or browsing the Internet.

In this thread, I think the interesting question is "what was the first computer for which you ever wrote a program?" Many of the replies to this thread that were not made by spambots answered the question in this sense. I think it would be nice for more humans to participate in this discussion along those lines.

Do you think there are spambots that have written any programs?

davidcoton

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:50 pm

ejolson wrote: Do you think there are spambots that have written any programs?
I have a nasty feeling that I've tried to maintain such programs.
Signature retired

LTolledo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 am

do "calculators" qualify as "computers"?
or the question "....does not compute..."? :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

ejolson

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 am

LTolledo wrote:
If the first code someone wrote was for a programmable calculator, that sounds like an interesting post to make on this thread. I have a friend who some time ago claimed one of the best ways to learn programming was using z-80 assembler on a TI-8x calculator. At the same time, playing Tetris on a calculator does not compute, but maybe that's just me.

Imperf3kt

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 am

Oops, sorry, I misread the post and mistook it as spam.
I'm still convinced the post below is spam though and a few others dotted throughout.

The first computer I programmed on was a Playstation 2 home entertainment console . No, I'm not kidding and no, it wasn't modified in any way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yabasic#PlayStation_2
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

dorfidreader

Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 am

P2 was my first computer with window 98.

rpdom

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:44 am

ejolson wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 am
LTolledo wrote:
If the first code someone wrote was for a programmable calculator, that sounds like an interesting post to make on this thread. I have a friend who some time ago claimed one of the best ways to learn programming was using z-80 assembler on a TI-8x calculator. At the same time, playing Tetris on a calculator does not compute, but maybe that's just me.
I think I already posted that the first thing I programmed was a calculator. Casio FX-502P. I still have it and it powers on (after 40 years) although the keys don't seem to work. I shall clean it up inside and see if I can fix that.

If I can't fix it it may end up going to Silicon Heaven along with all the others.
[edit] Proof it is still alive, just a bit battered. :)
FX502P.jpg
FX502P.jpg (123.89 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
Last edited by rpdom on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LTolledo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:53 am

ejolson wrote: If the first code someone wrote was for a programmable calculator, that sounds like an interesting post to make on this thread.
the very first code I ever wrote was on the Casio FX-850P, in BASIC. I was trying to source it again but cannot... obviously its too old (32 years ago) however I got hold of a working and functional updated version of that, pictured below to the right.
pocket_computers.jpg
pocket_computers.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2150 times

of course the main use was programming complex engineering calculations, but also programmed some games (mostly card game types) on that "pocket personal computer".

to the left of that is another "vintage" programmable calculator the FX-3800P (also in good working condition), to which I learned "primitive" calculation sequence programming and loops. was a year prior to acquiring the Casio FX850P.

Some people be like:

LTolledo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 am
The first computer I programmed on was a Playstation 2 home entertainment console . No, I'm not kidding and no, it wasn't modified in any way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yabasic#PlayStation_2
I didnt know that this was even available on the PS2.... :o

Some people be like:

Neocute

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Mine was a "Hector/" (also known as Victor //)

After that:
- Amstrad CPC 6128
- 486 DX2 66mhz (win 3.1)
- Calculator Casio FX 6910G
- 486 DX4 75mhz (win 95/98)
- 486 DX4 100mhz (win 2000)
- Pentium IV 3.20Ghz (xp + Linux)
- Notebook/barebone Asus C90S (Win7 + Linux)
- Now I have a "homemade" i7 4770k (win10 + Linux) ...
- Raspberry PI4... Soon^^

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Off-topic on an Off topic discussion (sorry ;) )

there was a game we played on those "vintage" calculators like the one posted by @rpdom

only one designated calculator is used in the game
start by pressing the buttons in the sequence below
[ 1 ]
[ + ]
[ + ]
[ 0 ]

somebody holding a timer announces "start!"
the one with the calculator presses the
[ = ] button several times as fast as he/she can
the timer announces "stop" after an agreed span of time (usually 5 secs or 10 secs)

the one with the highest total wins!
reset by pressing [ 0 ] or retyping the sequence above

I dont think this is possible with "modern" calculators due to type of button used (is it?)
checked with my FX-3800P, its still possible... but am not as fast as I used to be :lol:

again sorry for the off-topic :D

Some people be like:

drgeoff

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:00 pm
Off-topic on an Off topic discussion (sorry ;) )

there was a game we played on those "vintage" calculators like the one posted by @rpdom

only one designated calculator is used in the game
start by pressing the buttons in the sequence below
[ 1 ]
[ + ]
[ + ]
[ 0 ]

somebody holding a timer announces "start!"
the one with the calculator presses the
[ = ] button several times as fast as he/she can
the timer announces "stop" after an agreed span of time (usually 5 secs or 10 secs)

the one with the highest total wins!
reset by pressing [ 0 ] or retyping the sequence above

I dont think this is possible with "modern" calculators due to type of button used (is it?)
checked with my FX-3800P, its still possible... but am not as fast as I used to be :lol:

again sorry for the off-topic :D
That only works on calculators that have "automatic constant" mode. On the calculator you used it was invoked by pressing an operator key twice. Some other calculators do not need the second press of the operator key. Ie:

3+2= gives 5
6= gives 8
23= gives 25
Note that for this type the constant number is after the operator, unlike the type in LTolledo's case where the constant number is before the operator.

Other calculators had a 'K' key for this purpose.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 am

Wow! what a variety of first computers. I 'had a brief introduction to computing in about 1971 with a couple of rooms full of punched tape and punch cards. I didn;t see a computer again until I accidentally found myself working for Universal Computer Services in 1977. In addition to the the services they provided to a clientele selling hire purchase, leasing and insurance, they had an idea that in the future their clients would be able to have all the relevant information on desks in small businesses.

So I ended up with the early TRS-80, the one that looked like the later Commodore and Atari, where everything was built into the keyboard - except that I think that TRS-80 had a separate tape drive for data. Anyway, I managed to learn enough BASIC in a couple of weeks to provide a workable finance and leasing program for the firm UCS allocated me to for my first 3 month stint, by purchasing one for myself.

By 1981 I had a TRS-80 model III with about 48kb RAM and the screen, keyboard and two 180kb floppy drives built into a nice stylish case. I thought I was in heaven. Until in about 1985ish I acquired an Epson QX-10 with a 'massive' 256kb RAM, 32 shades of green display (for photographic work) light pen connection and twin linear drive 400kb floppies. And best of all, running cp/m.

Now I have graduated to a Raspberry Pi... :-)
Pi 4B 4GB - system on WD 240G SSD ( but /boot on Sandisk microSD)

rpdom

Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:22 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 am
32 shades of green
I bet you could write a book about that experience ;)

Return to “Off topic discussion”