NOsen

RPI4 SD boot system on usb3stick slower then a sloth

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm

So im running my system on a usbstick on usb3 and its unbelievable slow.
There is no errors and its runs all apps like it should but installning or writing to the system takes forever.
I read this topic
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=245931 but it dont seem to help when using the usbdisc as a system.

Is there ayone else that have ran into this annoying thing? and found a solution for it ?

sparkyhall

Re: RPI4 SD boot system on usb3stick slower then a sloth

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Have you remembered to update the PARTUUID in both /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab to the PARTUUID for your USB stick?

I seem to remember similar behaviour when I forgot to update one or the other.

RonR

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 pm

NOsen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Is there ayone else that have ran into this annoying thing? and found a solution for it ?

I've been running my Raspberry Pi's (1/2/3/4) exclusively from USB flash drives from the very beginning (more than 6 years now). The only time it hasn't proven to be noticeably faster then a class 10 SD card was when using an atrociously slow PNY flash drive, which I quickly discarded.

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:55 pm

I've had the root filesystem on a hard drive since 2014 when the B+ came out and I replaced my old Viglen (which used about three times the power to do the same job).

If your drive is NTFS the driver runs in userspace rather than the kernel and is very slow compared to any native Linux filesystem like ext4, reiserfs, XFS, ZFS or btrfs.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

NOsen

Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:52 pm

its the system / on the usbstick so its not ntfs :)

when i say its slow i mean its SLOW installinga packages takes about 10 min when i install on the sdcard it takes at most about 30-60 sec (same packages)

ejolson

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:02 pm

NOsen wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:52 pm
its the system / on the usbstick so its not ntfs :)

when i say its slow i mean its SLOW installinga packages takes about 10 min when i install on the sdcard it takes at most about 30-60 sec (same packages)
If I remember correctly there are two possible problems that might occur with USB3 on the Pi 4B: one is related to command queuing; the other is related to power saving. In either case, disabling the corresponding feature was reported to restore reasonable functionality.

Sorry, I don't have links. Maybe someone else could clarify what I'm remembering (if correct) and post details.

Return to “General discussion”