exwaver
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am

trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 am

I'm having great difficulty in trying to buy 4 pi zeros (1.3) for my 4 camera cctv project. Every where that I try to order 4, they say limited to 1 per customer. How do people get more than 1 pi zero (the cheap £5 version). Its a joke!!!

royhenderson
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:56 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:25 am

It is definitely frustrating! I wanted 4 zeros for a cluster exercise and hit the same problem. My solution was to submit 4 separate orders against 2 suppliers and that gave me what I needed. I think this is one of those situations where there is little point in complaining and that a pragmatic approach is needed.

exwaver
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 am

Hi, this is an approach that I thought of as well but the P&P is as much as the pi zero itself so I will effectively be paying double for each single order. 4 pi zeros £20, P&P, £20, total £40.!!! (I live in Spain)

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20918
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am

exwaver wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:34 am
Hi, this is an approach that I thought of as well but the P&P is as much as the pi zero itself so I will effectively be paying double for each single order. 4 pi zeros £20, P&P, £20, total £40.!!! (I live in Spain)


IT IS NOT A JOKE, DO NOT BE SO DISRESPECTFUL TO RPF / RPT

This has been extensively covered why there is a restriction, the answer is to buy the Zero WH @ $15.00 as there are no restrictions on quantity:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/zero-wh/
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:01 am

exwaver wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 am
I'm having great difficulty in trying to buy 4 pi zeros (1.3) for my 4 camera cctv project. Every where that I try to order 4, they say limited to 1 per customer. How do people get more than 1 pi zero (the cheap £5 version). Its a joke!!!
The is a deliberate restriction to one per customer for the $5 Pi Zero. This has ALWAY BEEN THE CASE due to the device being a educational discounted device.

If you want to buy > 1 at a time, buy the Zero WH. More expensive as no educational discount (and more features). Still not particularly expensive though.

5 seconds with Google will have provided the same reply.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am
IT IS NOT A JOKE, DO NOT BE SO DISRESPECTFUL TO RPF / RPT
Not everybody reads the forum before to find out why they can only buy one of a product. It's not disrespectful, it's ill-informed and expecting the product be sold by basic merchant practices that have existed for millennia.

I find your need to forcefully inform people in this manner disrespectful.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am

royhenderson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:25 am
It is definitely frustrating! I wanted 4 zeros for a cluster exercise and hit the same problem. My solution was to submit 4 separate orders against 2 suppliers and that gave me what I needed. I think this is one of those situations where there is little point in complaining and that a pragmatic approach is needed.
You are taking advantage of an educational discount intended to get Pi's in the hand of those people who cannot afford the better models.

Your choice of course. Just be cognisant of what buying like this really means.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 am
IT IS NOT A JOKE, DO NOT BE SO DISRESPECTFUL TO RPF / RPT
Not everybody reads the forum before to find out why they can only buy one of a product. It's not disrespectful, it's ill-informed and expecting the product be sold by basic merchant practices that have existed for millennia.

I find your need to forcefully inform people in this manner disrespectful.
Have you heard of Google? Sometimes it seems that many people who post on here haven't, and launch in to accusations* without so much as the briefest investigation.

* Yes, calling a particular practice a joke is an accusation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

exwaver
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm

I didn't understand. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

User avatar
bomblord
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 am

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I had no issues buying 4 pi zero's (2 zero Kits and 2 zero W kits) for a library program from canakit.

ejolson
Posts: 3705
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 pm

exwaver wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm
I didn't understand. Sorry if I have offended anyone.
Unfortunately, the rationing of Pi Zero computers is frustrating for many.

As with bread in former communist countries, when anything is produced to be sold below market equilibrium prices, shortages and rationing follow. What I find strange is how quickly entire countries forget how well a properly-functioning free market works to lift people out of poverty by making quality goods widely available and instead embark on a program of subsidies, rationing and central control.

Interestingly, you can go to any Micro Center in the States and buy as many Pi Zero computers as you need at a time with increased per-unit pricing. If you want the US$ 5 price, then you must buy no more than one per visit.

Aside from good business sense that meets consumer expectations, there may also be trade and nondiscrimination laws that prevent certain kinds of rationing in certain countries.

hippy
Posts: 6087
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm

ejolson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Interestingly, you can go to any Micro Center in the States and buy as many Pi Zero computers as you need at a time with increased per-unit pricing.
That's the most bizarre pricing I have seen, for a Pi Zero W -

1 at $5.00 each
2-5 at $14.99 each
6+ at $19.99 each

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486 ... -pi-zero-w

I presume anyone wanting more than one either takes the family or friends with each buying them individually, or just hangs around outside the store offering $10 to other customers who will buy a Zero W for them.

Andyroo

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

The first is discounted by the RPT/RPF as an intro to computing as a loss.

If you want more than one then its correct that you pay the actual price and support them and the Foundations aims and not try to rip them off.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm
ejolson wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Interestingly, you can go to any Micro Center in the States and buy as many Pi Zero computers as you need at a time with increased per-unit pricing.
That's the most bizarre pricing I have seen, for a Pi Zero W -

1 at $5.00 each
2-5 at $14.99 each
6+ at $19.99 each

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486 ... -pi-zero-w

I presume anyone wanting more than one either takes the family or friends with each buying them individually, or just hangs around outside the store offering $10 to other customers who will buy a Zero W for them.
Not bizarre, entirely in line with expectations.

As for Pi0's in kits, they don't have the 'educational discount' for want of a better phrase, so you can buy as many kits as you want.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
pi-tastic
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:17 pm

You can go to places like micro center, you can keep buying one for $5 but you have to go around and get back in line. if the cashier is nice they will ring up to 2 separate. or if you have multiple accounts you can buy one for 2 separate accounts etc work/home. Over all I think @ $5 each... they are hoping to sell usb cables/usb power supplies/SD cards/Cases etc.... the understand the zero w for $5 is a loss leader.
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20918
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:17 pm
You can go to places like micro center, you can keep buying one for $5 but you have to go around and get back in line. if the cashier is nice they will ring up to 2 separate. or if you have multiple accounts you can buy one for 2 separate accounts etc work/home. Over all I think @ $5 each... they are hoping to sell usb cables/usb power supplies/SD cards/Cases etc.... the understand the zero w for $5 is a loss leader.

This has all been stated, discussed, regurgitated etal previously and nothing has changed in 3 years......

...it is what is and whether or not we agree or disagree is now totally pointless to keep arguing.
Retired disgracefully.....

ejolson
Posts: 3705
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:35 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:17 pm
You can go to places like micro center, you can keep buying one for $5 but you have to go around and get back in line. if the cashier is nice they will ring up to 2 separate. or if you have multiple accounts you can buy one for 2 separate accounts etc work/home. Over all I think @ $5 each... they are hoping to sell usb cables/usb power supplies/SD cards/Cases etc.... the understand the zero w for $5 is a loss leader.
It's fun to shop at Micro Center with friends and family, but I always end up buying something I hadn't planned on. Last time I ended up with two mini USB keyboards. It's always tempting to get another Zero as well.

User avatar
pi-tastic
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm

yeah MS is great!

What i would do is just pick up a zero w every time I went there. I think i have like 12 or more!
I like to keep an eye on the open box/damaged box laptops. You can get some sick deals!
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: trying to buy more than 1 pi zero

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Agree this has been discussed to death.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”