Cubuss

[Not getting my full Gigabit internet speed on RPI 4b 4GB]

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Not able to get my full Ethernet speeds i get on my other desktops on the pi,
Tried swaping the cables out with no luck,
It seems download speed shows a more accurate speed,
Upload speed always slower the nit should be

Last edited by Cubuss on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

trejan

Re: [Not getting my full Gigabit internet speed on RPI 4b 4GB]

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 am

You shouldn't bump posts after only a few hours.

The Debian packaged version of speedtest-cli is old and can give incorrect results. Uninstall the old version and update it using pip3.

Cubuss

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 am

trejan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 am
You shouldn't bump posts after only a few hours.

The Debian packaged version of speedtest-cli is old and can give incorrect results. Uninstall the old version and update it using pip3.

Is this the correct version?

B.Goode

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 am

Can you describe the network infrastructure your RPi is being connected to?

It would be unusual for most users outside of institutional or commercial settings to get full Gigabit Ethernet speeds to or from sites on the global Internet.

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am

Cubuss wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 am
Bumping this up
You posted at half past eight at night, you bumped at twenty past three in the morning.
Please remember this forum is run purely by volunteers who are not getting paid for providing support.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:10 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:24 am
Cubuss wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:21 am
Bumping this up
You posted at half past eight at night, you bumped at twenty past three in the morning.
At a weekend too.

jerrm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 pm

B.Goode wrote:

It would be unusual for most users outside of institutional or commercial settings to get full Gigabit Ethernet speeds to or from sites on the global Internet.
Not at all in many US markets. I have three GB connection providers available in my neighborhood.

B.Goode

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:58 pm

jerrm wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 pm
B.Goode wrote:

Not at all in many US markets. I have three GB connection providers available in my neighborhood.

But having a Gigabit connection does not guarantee gigabit throughout across the Global Internet.

That seems to be the issue the OP is confronted with...

jerrm

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:28 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:58 pm
But having a Gigabit connection does not guarantee gigabit throughout across the Global Internet.

That seems to be the issue the OP is confronted with...
The speedtest.net servers should be capable relatively consistent between runs, but would like to see if he is connecting to the same servers in each test.

The shame is in an https world, the unencrypted speeds aren't terribly relevant. The Pi4's lack of hardware encryption will often be the limiting factor.

Cubuss

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm

B.Goode wrote:

Sorry for the late response the pi is directly connected to my router just like my desktop,

i also installed speedtest-cli via pip as suggested cause the one in apt package is outdated,

My Download speed seems to reach 750 and above just fine its my upload speeds who seems always below ,

note i have 750 up/ down and am able to reach these speeds with no problem with my desktop ,
On my desktop useally i reach even above 750 (800 up 800 down)

Imperf3kt

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:41 pm

It was suggested to use pip3, not apt.
I don't know the difference that'd make, but it may be relevant.

Now it's time to go back to wishing I had such speeds myself. Currently get around 5mbps download and 1mbps upload.
In a few days that should be bumped up to 20/20 when my ISP switches me over to FTTN
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

bensimmo

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:42 am

We have GBit here in Hull in the UK if we want it, the whole city and surrounding areas.
No idea what the up link speed is though, they always tend to drop it

But that's not going to help the op.

all pip3 does is install a Python3 version of the program.

Most likely something on the Pi is obviously causing a problem or the SD card cannot read that fast or the cables a bit faulty going up.

All I would do is keep Raspbian up to date and maybe the bootcode if that can alter it in any way.
Other than that, your router setup may be important (some know setting) .

Sorry can't help more than that.

Try other tests to see what you get.
What is your intranet giving. I.e. computer to computer.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:53 am

This question appears regularly, but my take is most Internet Routers or Modem / Routers will show what the Speeds being achieved from your Internet Service Provider.

Use iPerf3 to test the Local Network speeds.

Stating that a computer does not get gigabit speed using Speedtest or similar software is wrong, there are to many factors to be taken into consideration.

Maybe a better question should be is my Internet Service Provider actually giving me what I expect ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

bensimmo

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Maybe a better question should be is my Internet Service Provider actually giving me what I expect ??
They are, it has been mentioned a few times.
Other computers give better upload results.
There is even a picture of it in the initial post.
Of course if the desktop was used, then the same webpage could be used as tested on the PCs.

That iperf3 will be the most useful test :-)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:01 am

Cubuss wrote:
B.Goode wrote:

Sorry for the late response the pi is directly connected to my router just like my desktop,

i also installed speedtest-cli via pip as suggested cause the one in apt package is outdated,

My Download speed seems to reach 750 and above just fine its my upload speeds who seems always below ,

note i have 750 up/ down and am able to reach these speeds with no problem with my desktop ,
There are two things to consider. The speed on the Pi on the network, and the speed of the Pi when connected to the internet.

They are different things. You need to test the speed of the Pi on the local network to determine its maximum speed (on your network). Use iperf3 for that.

Then compare than number with the internet speed. If its faster you know the bottleneck is not the Pi networking, but something else.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Cubuss

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
This question appears regularly, but my take is most Internet Routers or Modem / Routers will show what the Speeds being achieved from your Internet Service Provider.

Stating that a computer does not get gigabit speed using Speedtest or similar software is wrong, there are to many factors to be taken into consideration.

jamesh wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:01 am
Cubuss wrote:
B.Goode wrote:

There are two things to consider. The speed on the Pi on the network, and the speed of the Pi when connected to the internet.

They are different things. You need to test the speed of the Pi on the local network to determine its maximum speed (on your network). Use iperf3 for that.

Then compare than number with the internet speed. If its faster you know the bottleneck is not the Pi networking, but something else.

Getting full 1gb speeds when testing with iperf3

Also when i got my gigabit ethernet at first my windows desktops didnt get full speeds either ,
Then i did a clean install of windows and it got resolved,

I already tried reflashing clean raspbian images both desktop and lite with no avail

Anymore suggestion re much appriciated ,

LTolledo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:07 am

Is this an extremely mission critical requirement for you? and why?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

bensimmo

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 am

If the internal is running full speed, then don't worry, the pi hardware is working fine.

It is probably just the benchmark* you are using and how it works or your router as it is passed to the outerworld.
Remember these are just benchmarks, not real life usage.

*At which point you'll need support form the benchmark creators.

pcmanbob

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:03 am

One point no one has mention is that your broadband connection is supplying all devices connected to your router , so you will never get full speed on one device, while you have more than one device connected.

There are also handshaking overheads to consider , disk access speeds on the individual devices , program execution speeds/delays ( even different versions of python could affect the execution of speedtest.cli ) all will affect the speed on an individual device.

Why are you so worried about the perceived loss of download speed, it very unlikely you will ever be downloading a web page or even a file at gigabit speed from an external web site any way, because I suspect there are very few sites than can sustain such upload speeds under load.

if you really want to know how fast you can download things from the web go find a big file like an OS and try downloading that , using a stop watch to time the download and then you can workout the speed using the time & file size, that will give you a more realistic indication of your download speed.

and finally from speed test cli github page
There is the potential for this tool to report results inconsistent with Speedtest.net. There are several concepts to be aware of that factor into the potential inconsistency:

Speedtest.net has migrated to using pure socket tests instead of HTTP based tests
This application is written in Python
Different versions of Python will execute certain parts of the code faster than others
CPU and Memory capacity and speed will play a large part in inconsistency between Speedtest.net and even other machines on the same network
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Cubuss

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:08 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Not really but it would nice to know that my raspberry pi is using full internet speed potential,

pcmanbob

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 am

Cubuss wrote:
Not really but it would nice to know that my raspberry pi is using full internet speed potential,
Then why not try the real world download test I suggested on both your pi and your PC and see what results you get from that.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:56 am

Cubuss wrote:
LTolledo wrote:
Clearly the iperf3 results show that the networking is working at full speed, so it's not that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Cubuss

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:51 am

Anyone else any suggestions?

jbeale

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:23 am

A chain is as strong as the weakest link. Your connection between the Pi and the remote speed-test server has a lot of links, both real and virtual. The iperf test ruled out a few possible issues, so that just leaves all the rest... I would consider how that test works, where the data comes from, etc. It would be helpful if you had a compatible speed-test host running on your LAN; I don't know if they provide that software though. If you suspect the synthetic benchmark is not measuring something of practical use in your case, you could also try a more real-world test like a big file download.

Return to “Troubleshooting”