kasek

Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey got a raspberry pi 4 and want to install a music player like iTunes that will load my songs in a library. What works and do you have a guide most guides I’ve seen r for pi 2 or 3 not sure if there is a difference

epoch1970

Re: Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm

I would recommend piCorePlayer, which wraps piCore linux, Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, etc. in an easy to live with package. Excellent support for the Pi platform and available audio HATs.
https://www.picoreplayer.org
If you target using a Pi 4, you need a beta release.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kasek

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm
I would recommend piCorePlayer, which wraps piCore linux, Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, etc. in an easy to live with package. Excellent support for the Pi platform and available audio HATs.
https://www.picoreplayer.org
If you target using a Pi 4, you need a beta release.
Thanks how would I install it from that zip? Do I have to use commands in terminal or

Andyroo

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

You would use Etcher or similar to create the SD as this includes the operating system as well as all the programs.

This is not Raspbian but a slightly different version of Linux and the SD card would be dedicated to this task.

Note: This will delete everything off that SD card.

kasek

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm
You would use Etcher or similar to create the SD as this includes the operating system as well as all the programs.

This is not Raspbian but a slightly different version of Linux and the SD card would be dedicated to this task.

Note: This will delete everything off that SD card.
Do you know of an alternative that doesn’t do that? I’m using the pi as a work station at work and it’s already all set up was just hoping to install an app

epoch1970

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kasek

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
I’ve only seen vlc media player, but I’m looking for something I could load my library into

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

kasek wrote:
epoch1970 wrote:
I’ve only seen vlc media player, but I’m looking for something I could load my library into

Where is your Music Library stored at present ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

gordon77

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm

You might like to try this python script l've been working on...

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-MP3_Player

It will work on a pi and desktop monitor.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm pretty minimalist. I use mplayer and write shell scripts so I don't have to remember all the command line options. Recorded tracks are either stored in a directory on the boot media, or on a USB stick. It also serves to stream programming off the 'net, specifically, our local classical radio station.

kasek

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm
kasek wrote:
epoch1970 wrote:

Where is your Music Library stored at present ??
Currently USB drive but I have to select all the music to play it, was wanting just a program open it and hit pl ay

kasek

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm
You might like to try this python script l've been working on...

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-MP3_Player

It will work on a pi and desktop monitor.
I’ll take a look thanks

BluPI2

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 am

I believe Rhythmbox will suit your needs

It supports multiple Playlists and importing of Music Libraries

Just run in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rhythmbox
Rhythmbox is a very easy to use music playing and management program which supports a wide range of audio formats (including mp3 and ogg). Originally inspired by Apple's iTunes, the current version also supports Internet Radio, iPod integration and generic portable audio player support, Audio CD burning, Audio CD playback, music sharing, and Podcasts.
Proud Owner of a Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate

spegru

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:06 pm

I am presently using Rhythmbox (as i speak in fact) on my main desktop machine but in my main music setup I am using a Pi4 connected to an external USB connected DAC (think sound card) for enhance performance. Unfortunately though I cannot get any sound out of it even though visually it is playing.
Sound works fine in VLC player but that has a clunky interface so I really want to use Rhythmbox

By the way I've been though some rigmarole to get the USB DAC working that involved modifying alsa.conf and altering defaults.ctl.card and dafaults.pcm.card both to be 1. So now the USB DAC (sound card) is selected and is chosen by default under Raspiconfig.I also notice that when it starts up the volume controls are set to zero. I can change those but to no effect on rhythembox even though it works ok in VLC.
Seems to me that another Volume control is set to zero somewhere but under ALSA there seems to be only one

spegru

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 am

anyone?

Man in a van

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:07 am

This is a screen shot of a rpi4b (4gb).

It's running the Light version of the Desktop.

It has LogitechMediaServer and Squeezelite (player) installed.

LMS can be controlled via the web based gui or the Jivelite install shown in the shot. There are also phone and table apps that perform control and LMS can be accessed from an external computer.

There is also a Spotify-Connect client installed.

It is set to start playing a favourite (fip) radio stream on start up.

Output is through a usb dac.

I can play back web based streams via the Chromium browser.

Local files can be stored on either a NAS, usb drive, or the SD card itself (size of card and library important here).

It's not a difficult install, but there is a learning curve (and things can go wrong that are not always in the control of the operator :? ).

Imagejivelite on rpi by Man in a van, on Flickr

Return to “Beginners”