blueagent

does the bluetooth chip on PI3 constasntly emits radiation?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:23 am

there's a lot of talk about a potential link between brain cancer and apple airpods recently, so i'm wondering when i'm using a rapsberry pi 3 in close proximity for long duration, is the bluetooth chip and wifi constantly turned on by default? if so, is there a way to turn it off?

i'm legitimately concern about my health as someone i know recently passed away due to cancer.

please let me know, thank you!

LTolledo

Re: does the bluetooth chip on PI3 constasntly emits radiation?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 am

if you are concerned about bluetooth and wifi radiation (actually our environment is constantly bombarded with any other form of radiation, we just dont know or notice it), change your RPi3B (or RPi3B+) to RPi2B v1.2. That model has no WiFi or bluetooth, but carries the same SoC as RPi3B.

The WiFi and bluetooth in RPi3B and later models can be turned off (IIRC) via config.txt.

TV emits radiation, the lightbulb emits radiation, the microwave oven uses radiation, etc, and of course, our sun emits radiation...
the only place where radiation may not penerate is in a sealed lead box covered by a faraday cage... housed in a thick concrete bunker....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Andyroo

Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:22 am

To disable WiFi / Bluetooth add one or more of these lines to your config.txt file (Buster)

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtoverlay=disable-wifi

blueagent

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:28 am

thank you so much everyone for your help!

DougieLawson

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:55 am

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hippy

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:49 pm

Most "radiation risks" from RF equipment are overstated but that does not mean there are none.

The Foundation's FCC compliance information states the Pi's WiFi / Bluetooth module must be "operated with a minimum of 20cm distance between the antenna and the user".

As long as that separation is maintained there should be no issues.

https://fccid.io/2ABCB-RPI3BP

incognitum

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Perhaps it could be considered to change Raspbian so Bluetooth is disabled by default, and only enabled if somebody actually indicated he wants to use Bluetooth using the bluetooth panel app thingy?

Besides that some folks are -rightly or wrongly- uncomfortable about a potential radiation risk, I dislike that extra daemon software is started for functionality I am simply not using...

bjtheone

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 pm

Consider the other user case... Joe Random user fires up his shiny new Pi and Bluetooth or WiFi does not work as it is not turned on, and then gets very frustrated/upset/angry because it is "broken".

I think the default of on/enabled, given that the product claims to have both Bluetooth and WiFi, is the correct one. If you are bothered by either the cpu/power/resource usage of the daemons and chips or the tin foil aspects of the radiation you likely either can figure out how to disable it or live in a bunker without any of the nasty emitting death devices anyways.

Googling for "disable wifi raspberry" is not a particular large leap of logic to expect.

incognitum

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:49 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:56 pm
Consider the other user case... Joe Random user fires up his shiny new Pi and Bluetooth or WiFi does not work as it is not turned on, and then gets very frustrated/upset/angry because it is "broken".
Joe Random cannot do anything useful with his Bluetooth until he pairs a device with it.

Pairing is typically done with the Bluetooth applet on the top right corner of the screen in Raspbian.
I don't see any technical reason why the same applet cannot enable Bluetooth (and start software dependencies) if desired, while having it disabled by default.

bjtheone

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:27 pm

Absolutely true and that is the beauty of Free Software.... you can build it and perhaps they will come. Or you can lobby those that currently maintain the mainline Bluetooth solutions for a change in default functionality or those that build Raspbian. Or you can just uninstall if that is how you want to roll.

Heck you even could change the default behaviour via putting the following in /etc/rc.local

rfkill block bluetooth
another option is changing /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. Search for the entry:

AutoEnable=true
and change the value to:

AutoEnable=false
Lots of options. I will gently add I found those in about a minute of searching....

Return to “Beginners”