User avatar
dividuum
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Will or is it possible to do EEPROM bootloader updates "unattended"? So having them done automatically without swapping SD card manually? I imagine a process that skips the update and continues the normal boot process if the provided update is identical to the one active. Or maybe writing a new EEPROM while the Pi is running Linux using some magic mailbox commands?

At least the first option isn't possible from what is stated in the README.txt (in this zip). Maybe the second option is possible?
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

hippy
Posts: 6299
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm

The Boot Eeprom update process, like other things to come for the Pi 4B, has not been finalised.

I am sure that when it is introduced there will be a mechanism to cater for updating without having to swap SD Cards, and avoiding updating when not necessary. If not provided by RPT/RPF/Raspbian then by a third party.

The means to do it are already there. It just hasn't been turned into a simple to use form.

User avatar
dividuum
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm

hippy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm
The means to do it are already there. It just hasn't been turned into a simple to use form.
I appreciate your quick response, but I'm not sure how you end up with this conclusion. Although I too seriously doubt that this is all we'll ever get, right now the *only* way to update seems that recovery.bin is present on the SD and it exclusively takes over the boot process. I'm fairly sure this is just due to the early state, like you said, but it would be nice to know if other options are indeed possible at some point.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Andyroo

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:13 pm

I doubt that the developers will say at this point. It may be that the first update needs a SD Card swap and future ones do not.

It maybe that things come via apt but at this time I really do not expect news till the first update with NetBoot is being tested in public. Even then, the beta update MAY NOT match the final process :roll:

Remember, both RPT and RPF do not release info before launch and the only big software test thread I know of was the dual screen software testing and that died with the launch of the 4 :lol:

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15615
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm pretty certain it has been stated that the goal is to have the EEPROM resident firmware/code from an apt package at some point. A reboot will be required to activate it of course.

User avatar
dividuum
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:53 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:43 pm
I'm pretty certain it has been stated that the goal is to have the EEPROM resident firmware/code from an apt package at some point. A reboot will be required to activate it of course.
Thanks. I guess that answers my question.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

trejan
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:42 am

Yes. There will be a EEPROM update script + apt packages and it'll also support setting boot options. You can manually reflash the boot EEPROM using flashrom if you really want to but best to use the script when it appears. The other supported method is recovery.bin as you've already notice.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:36 am

Unless internal testing finds any really bad bugs we hope to share the APT package on Wednesday and promote the current beta release of the EEPROM to production.
Let’s see what happens ;)

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15615
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:53 am

timg236 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:36 am
Unless internal testing finds any really bad bugs we hope to share the APT package on Wednesday and promote the current beta release of the EEPROM to production.
Let’s see what happens ;)
Great.

Will you list out any advantages and disadvantages of upgrading to the new firmware as well?

Hopefully some of the functions (like how far "poweroff" goes to powering off) will be settable via a command line program and a GUI menu at some point.

Andyroo

Re: Unattended bootloader updates on the Pi 4

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:13 pm
I doubt that the developers will say at this point. It may be that the first update needs a SD Card swap and future ones do not.

It maybe that things come via apt but at this time I really do not expect news till the first update with NetBoot is being tested in public. Even then, the beta update MAY NOT match the final process :roll:

Remember, both RPT and RPF do not release info before launch and the only big software test thread I know of was the dual screen software testing and that died with the launch of the 4 :lol:
:oops:

Oh hum :lol:

Return to “Advanced users”