P.Pea

Easy question? Alexa ~ NAS concurrent?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 am

Can I use my Pi to serve both as MYMediaalexa https://www.mymediaalexa.com/ device and also as a NAS concurrently?
I'm a noob with learning difficulties so don't be so vague!
Better explanations yield results and I understand better which in turn saves you time and the rest that follow.

drgeoff

Re: Easy question? Alexa ~ NAS concurrent?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am

What's preventing you from answering your own question? Try it and see.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

P.Pea

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:27 am

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am
What's preventing you from answering your own question? Try it and see.
I'm old, very ill and would take days to accomplish. I'm asking a simple question asking for a simple answer.
Why are people who are so called clever so ignorant.
Just a simple answer Yes or No?
And to be helpful point in the right direction?
Better explanations yield results and I understand better which in turn saves you time and the rest that follow.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm

please be polite! or Ill have to modify your posts more.

not everybody can give you the simple answer you want, but they all (exceptions are rare) try to help you, so be thankful. :mrgreen:

Andyroo

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Given that it’s a chargeable service you could try contacting their support at support@mymediaalexa.com and explain your situation and needs.

Chance of someone here having both may be limited. Looking at the install instructions though it should be less than an hour to fire a test up using SAMBA and a spare Pi.

SueGeo

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Yes.

Well, yes, if a simple SMB server qualifies as NAS.

I installed MyMediaAlexa yesterday and it's running along with SAMBA/SMB server. Pi 3b+, 32GB A1 micro SD, Buster. MyMediaAlexa is just an application/service that runs on Raspian, so my guess is any NAS software that does likewise could co-exist.

File transfers are slow, but work.

Probably took me 3 hours total to get both working. Use method #2 for installing mymedia.

P.Pea

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Given that it’s a chargeable service you could try contacting their support at support@mymediaalexa.com and explain your situation and needs.

Chance of someone here having both may be limited. Looking at the install instructions though it should be less than an hour to fire a test up using SAMBA and a spare Pi.
Non existent forum
SueGeo wrote: Yes.

Well, yes, if a simple SMB server qualifies as NAS.

I installed MyMediaAlexa yesterday and it's running along with SAMBA/SMB server. Pi 3b+, 32GB A1 micro SD, Buster. MyMediaAlexa is just an application/service that runs on Raspian, so my guess is any NAS software that does likewise could co-exist.

File transfers are slow, but work.

Probably took me 3 hours total to get both working. Use method #2 for installing mymedia.
service.

Took me 4 days...
That's my point it was not wasted time. I just want to succeed like everyone else.

drgeoff

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:50 pm

P.Pea wrote:
Andyroo wrote:
Non existent forum
Andyroo did not state or imply that it is a forum. It is an email address for contacting support.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

SueGeo

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:00 am

P.Pea wrote:

Took me 4 days...
That's my point it was not wasted time. I just want to succeed like everyone else.
I've been mucking about with Pi's for less than 2 months. I'd say about half the time my project attempts fail. I just format the SD and try again after reading more or finding a different approach.

Failing is just a part of learning.

Return to “Beginners”