brandoncheah

Speech Recognition with i2S microphone

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:36 am

Currently working on RPi 3B+, Raspbian Buster.
Installed speech recognition library: https://pypi.org/project/SpeechRecognition/

Hardware setup for audio and microphone:
Audio Amp: MAX98357 (i2S)
Microphone: SPH0645LM4H (i2S)
Followed the guide on : https://www.hackster.io/maremoto/snips- ... afe-c3c178 to setup this 2 modules
(thanks maremoto for the awesome guide)

Tried to record and playback audio files with arecord and aplay, able to record and playback the audio file, set volume to the maximum level, but sound output from the speaker is still quite soft, but still acceptable

I tested with Linphone console application to initiate voice call, the microphone and speaker are able to work well, and voices going into the i2S are sharp and clear.

Now I am working on speech recognition and it has to listen live audio input from the i2S microphone, the program can only detect my voice input when my mouth is directly beside the microphone. Looks like the voice isn't captured when I am not talking close to the microphone, I've adjusted the microphone gain to about 80%, but still no luck.

I tried to get the list of device_index and i got:

Code: Select all

Microphone with name "sndrpisimplecar: - (hw:0,0)" found for `Microphone(device_index=0)`
Microphone with name "sndrpisimplecar: - (hw:0,1)" found for `Microphone(device_index=1)`
Microphone with name "sysdefault" found for `Microphone(device_index=2)`
Microphone with name "sharedmic_sv" found for `Microphone(device_index=3)`
Microphone with name "sharedmic" found for `Microphone(device_index=4)`
Microphone with name "dsnooped" found for `Microphone(device_index=5)`
Microphone with name "speaker_sv" found for `Microphone(device_index=6)`
Microphone with name "speaker" found for `Microphone(device_index=7)`
Microphone with name "dmixed" found for `Microphone(device_index=8)`
Microphone with name "dmix" found for `Microphone(device_index=9)`
Microphone with name "default" found for `Microphone(device_index=10)`
I tried to use device_index 1/2/3/4/5, but still the same result, (need to put my mouth next to the mic only it able to capture my voice and translate to text)

Another method I tried is to pre-record a .wav file using arecord and then input the recorded audio file into the speech recognition library, this method works well and very accurate without having to put my mouth directly beside the microphone.

My /etc/asound.conf file (got it from maremoto guide):

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
   type asym
   capture.pcm "sharedmic_sv"
   playback.pcm "speaker_sv"
}
pcm.sharedmic_sv {
   type softvol
   slave.pcm "sharedmic"
   control {
	name "Boost Capture Volume"
	card sndrpisimplecar
   }
   min_dB -2.0
   max_dB 20.0
}
pcm.sharedmic {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dsnooped"
}
pcm.dsnooped {
   type dsnoop
   ipc_key 777777
   ipc_perm 0677
   slave {
       pcm "hw:0,1"
       channels 2
       format S32_LE
   }
}
pcm.speaker_sv {
   type softvol
   slave.pcm "speaker"
   control.name "Speaker Volume"
   control.card 0
}
pcm.speaker{
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixed"
}
pcm.dmixed {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 888888
  ipc_perm 0677
  #ipc_key_add_uid false
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    period_time 0
    period_size 1024
    buffer_size 8192
    rate 44100
    channels 2
  }
  bindings {
       0 0
       1 1
  }
}
I don't think its a hardware issue, because normal recording and linphone voice call are able to work fine (no need to put my mouth close to the mic to capture my voice)

Any ideas where should I look into the alsa config folders or maybe PyAudio so that the voice recognition program is able to capture my voice normally? At the code line (audio = r.listen(source))

brandoncheah

Re: Speech Recognition with i2S microphone

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 am

*Update*

I think i found out what is going wrong, it might be Pyaudio microphone selection.

I've tried to record using PyAudio library, where I've specified the index number, when chosing index number 3 4 5, the sound recorded is very soft and hard to listen, that is why the voice recognition couldn't process the low recorded sound i guess...

When i recorded with device index 10, which is the default option, the voice recorded is slightly louder and can be heard

Went back to voice recognition program to use device index 10, but after listening to a voice input, it prompt this error:

python: src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c:3641: PaAlsaStreamComponent_BeginPolling: Assertion `ret == self->nfds' failed.

Anybody faced this issue as well?

maddhater

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:14 am

Any updates on this?

earth

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:42 pm

I have the same issue with speech_recognition, which uses PyAudio for microphone input. A usb microphone works, but the i2s mic will not play nice with PyAudio. I see a suggestion on stack overflow to use sounddevice, but I'm not sure this will work with speech_recognition.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/521 ... ng-pyaudio

Return to “Advanced users”