jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 usb boot?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

echmain wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Sheesh, is there any way these "Pi 4 USB boot" threads can be shoved off to a separate forum? (on a separate web site...on a separate planet...)
This is that thread. I would move it offplanet, but Musk hasn't occupied Mars yet.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

dickon

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:30 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:28 pm
k-pi wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 am
I've been using Linux & BSD as my computer O/S since 1999, my computers boot from internal disk, or external USB disks & pendrives - it is the normal way to boot a mainstream computer - only the RPi, & similar hobby boards, boots from a microSD card.
Nope.

First stage bootloader is in the Bios and/or UEFI partition. That looks for the OS's boot loader which can be on any storage media supported by both it and the motherboard. The OS's bootloader then loads the rest of the OS which can also be on any storage media supported by the hardware etc.
Actually, that's a good way to explain this: the uSD card is the ROM-based BIOS, just in a handy, easy to repair, removable form-factor. Bung a second-stage uBoot on it -- not sure if there's a Pi4 version of that yet, admittedly -- and you have all the usual abilities.

And as for being a serious user: I've been quite a serious user of these things since their initial release: the machines at that point neatly filled a very interesting hole in the market, and have been going from strength to strength ever since. I have never once booted or needed to boot a Pi from a USB device. I *do* want to boot my Pi 4 from network, but that's for ease of management, and integration with the rest of my network; ATM I have /boot mounted on the uSD card, and / over NFS as usual. Lets me snapshot the rootfs without trouble, but leaves /boot vulnerable; it also means that if I forget to regenerate the initrd after a kernel update, I have marginally more trouble fixing it than

Code: Select all

chroot /var/local/nfsroot/pi4
mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.gz $version
exit
and rebooting the Pi.

But yeah. USB? Not so much.

ejolson

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:01 pm

dickon wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:30 pm
thagrol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:28 pm
k-pi wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 am
I've been using Linux & BSD as my computer O/S since 1999, my computers boot from internal disk, or external USB disks & pendrives - it is the normal way to boot a mainstream computer - only the RPi, & similar hobby boards, boots from a microSD card.
Nope.

First stage bootloader is in the Bios and/or UEFI partition. That looks for the OS's boot loader which can be on any storage media supported by both it and the motherboard. The OS's bootloader then loads the rest of the OS which can also be on any storage media supported by the hardware etc.
Actually, that's a good way to explain this: the uSD card is the ROM-based BIOS, just in a handy, easy to repair, removable form-factor. Bung a second-stage uBoot on it -- not sure if there's a Pi4 version of that yet, admittedly -- and you have all the usual abilities.

And as for being a serious user: I've been quite a serious user of these things since their initial release: the machines at that point neatly filled a very interesting hole in the market, and have been going from strength to strength ever since. I have never once booted or needed to boot a Pi from a USB device. I *do* want to boot my Pi 4 from network, but that's for ease of management, and integration with the rest of my network; ATM I have /boot mounted on the uSD card, and / over NFS as usual. Lets me snapshot the rootfs without trouble, but leaves /boot vulnerable; it also means that if I forget to regenerate the initrd after a kernel update, I have marginally more trouble fixing it than

Code: Select all

chroot /var/local/nfsroot/pi4
mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.gz $version
exit
and rebooting the Pi.

But yeah. USB? Not so much.
You don't need uboot. Instead load a preliminary Linux kernel from the SD card to set things up and then chain load the final Linux kernel from the USB drive.

k-pi

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Separation of storage can be good practice from an admin and reliability pov.
On all my regular computers, I have a separate / & /home, sometimes /swap too, dependent on needs, it makes re installing &/or upgrading a reasonably simple process, unlike the Raspbian way of putting everything in one partition. 8-)

(Yes, I know that I can modify it to only take up a certain amount of disk space, but as it comes, it's just one big partition for the O/S & data files.)

thagrol

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

k-pi wrote:
Separation of storage can be good practice from an admin and reliability pov.
On all my regular computers, I have a separate / & /home, sometimes /swap too, dependent on needs, it makes re installing &/or upgrading a reasonably simple process, unlike the Raspbian way of putting everything in one partition. 8-)

(Yes, I know that I can modify it to only take up a certain amount of disk space, but as it comes, it's just one big partition for the O/S & data files.)
No seperate /var and /tmp? Hope your logs and temp files don't get too big ;)
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:29 pm

jamesh wrote:
echmain wrote:
Sheesh, is there any way these "Pi 4 USB boot" threads can be shoved off to a separate forum? (on a separate web site...on a separate planet...)
This is that thread. I would move it offplanet, but Musk hasn't occupied Mars yet.
Well... Off Topic, Bare Metal, or Wanted come to mind as possibilities....

jcyr

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:33 pm

jamesh wrote:
echmain wrote:
Last I heard, he wanted to nuke it!
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

LTolledo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Still whining about this? :shock:

yeah I also think this topic is becoming a nuisance and agree that it be moved...." to another to another website on another planet"..... on another dimension.... 8-)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

pi-tastic

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 pm

you guys know that noobs allows you to install right to a usb device right?
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

B.Goode

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 pm

pi-tastic wrote:

Details and documentation please.

k-pi

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm
No seperate /var and /tmp? Hope your logs and temp files don't get too big ;)
Never will, I'm a user, not a server admin. 8-)

thagrol

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Tried that on a 4B yet?

And to misquote your(?) own argument what serious user uses Noobs?
Last edited by thagrol on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

thagrol

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 pm

LTolledo wrote:

yeah I also think this topic is becoming a nuisance and agree that it be moved...." to another to another website on another planet"..... on another dimension.... 8-)
There's a simple answer to that...

unsubscribe and stop reading this thread :D

LTolledo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 pm
LTolledo wrote:

There's a simple answer to that...

unsubscribe and stop reading this thread :D
...and miss all the fun here? no way! :D
and yeah I tend to skip reading some that I tag as "nuisance threads",
but sometimes do take a peek on its "developments"....specially if the mods dived in. if mods don't, then I skip it. ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hippie403

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 pm
pi-tastic wrote:
Tried that on a 4B yet?

And to misquote your(?) own argument what serious user uses Noobs?
I installed NOOBS on a old 4GB micro SD I had lying around. Plugged in a USB3 SSD to my Pi4 and selected it as the drive to install on. /boot ends up on the micro SD, root on the SSD, boots and works fine no tinkering required. Some serious users use NOOBS, you know, like for convenience?

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:55 pm

LTolledo wrote:

As long as it can be kept civil and stay confined to one thread, it's probably tolerable. Unfortunately, locking would probably result in a new thread popping up within a week.

Gavinmc42

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 am

Keep this thread open, then if another one starts, point them to this one :lol:

It is interesting the diversity of opinions about Pi's from the new and old users.
We should tolerate diversity - so we keep getting told over and over ;)

I do draw the line at a "serious user" leaving their Pi4 in the box until USB boot is working.
That is just wrong..... in my opinion.

I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
And mine, smacks of cutting of nose to spite face.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

davidcoton

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
I do draw the line at a "serious user" leaving their Pi4 in the box until USB boot is working.
harwoodr wrote:All serious users need this facility
It is just wrong (and rude) to suggest that users who do not need pure USB boot are not serious users. :evil:
k-pi wrote: So, until the RPi4B gets its 'fix', it'll stay in its box
Maybe @k-pi is a "serious non-user" :lol:
Signature retired

PeterO

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:41 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 am
Gavinmc42 wrote:
And mine, smacks of cutting of nose to spite face.
OI ! That's my line :lol:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1522461

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

epoch1970

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:52 am

k-pi wrote:
I rarely use a /swap directory, and wouldn’t touch a windows extended partition with a 10-ft pole.
But I’m just an ex- serious user...
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

k-pi

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

davidcoton wrote:

Never said that I was a serious RPi user
, so do get your facts right, I just have a few to 'test the water' to see how good an arm based computer is/will be, as against Intel/AMD.

So far, I'm only trying out the RPi because it's British & easily available, no other reason - I'm not a 'fan boy' of them. :roll:

jamesh

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm

k-pi wrote:
davidcoton wrote:

Never said that I was a serious RPi user
, so do get your facts right, I just have a few to 'test the water' to see how good an arm based computer is/Will be, as against Intel/AMD.

So far, I'm only trying out the RPi because it's British & easily available, no other reason - I'm not a 'fan boy' of them. :roll:
Confused, you've bought one to try out, but cannot be bothered to plug in an SD card and actually use it? Or have you tried it but for reasons that elude many, cannot continue to try it out without USB boot? Surely the best approach is to run with SD card until USB boot is available? What specifically is it about running from an SD card is it that stopping you continuing to try it out? After all, running from SD is what the vast majority of users do with no problems whatsoever.

epoch1970

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:31 pm

k-pi wrote:
So far, I'm only trying out the RPi because it's British & easily available, no other reason
I remember trying fish and chips. Simpler times :)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

mattmiller

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm

I installed NOOBS on a old 4GB micro SD I had lying around. Plugged in a USB3 SSD to my Pi4 and selected it as the drive to install on. /boot ends up on the micro SD, root on the SSD, boots and works fine no tinkering required.
Bloomin heck - finally NOOBS has a use #WhoKnew :)

Return to “General discussion”