ed_rockstarguy

VNC Retropi

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:36 am

I want to make a project where i can stream my Emulated games from my pi to my phone screen using x11vnc so i can game on the go.

The set-up works like this...

1) Setup my ip as a wireless hotspot for wifi connection (Works)
2) Connect phone to raspberry pi using wifi for ssh access and vpc access (Works)
3) Install x11vnc and allow access to view display:0 (Wont work)

The error i get when trying to run (x11vnc -display :0 -usepw) is;

Code: Select all

18/04/2016 00:26:17 -usepw: found /home/pi/.vnc/passwd
18/04/2016 00:26:17 x11vnc version: 0.9.13 lastmod: 2011-08-10  pid: 5475
18/04/2016 00:26:17 XOpenDisplay(":0") failed.
18/04/2016 00:26:17 Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost ...

18/04/2016 00:26:17 ***************************************
18/04/2016 00:26:17 *** XOpenDisplay failed (:0)

*** x11vnc was unable to open the X DISPLAY: ":0", it cannot continue.
*** There may be "Xlib:" error messages above with details about the failure.
The furthest i have got with the vnc is to create a new screen and view the console of the retropie.

The set-up works fine with normal raspbian and i am not sure what to do...any ideas?
Last edited by ed_rockstarguy on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashmck73

Re: VNC Retropi

Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:18 am

Interesting concept there - using your phone as an external screen for your Raspberry Pi.

Would like to know if there's any type of lag as I've used VNC before and it lagged - but that was a while ago. But with gaming - even old games - any lag can ruin it for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ashley
the curator @
www.raspberryretro.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ed_rockstarguy

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:39 am

ashmck73 wrote:Interesting concept there - using your phone as an external screen for your Raspberry Pi.

Would like to know if there's any type of lag as I've used VNC before and it lagged - but that was a while ago. But with gaming - even old games - any lag can ruin it for you.
From my tests with raspbian it works fine with no slowdown as you are connected directly to its wifi ,but i cant seem to get x11vnc working on Retropie without errors accruing.

I personal installed the vnc using the following

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install x11vnc
x11vnc -display :0 -usepw
'password ' [Enter]
'password again' [Enter]
[y]

topguy

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:43 pm

I don't think any emulation software uses X-Windows for rendering, search the forum for "dispmanxvnc" or "dispmanx vnc server".

ed_rockstarguy

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm

topguy wrote:I don't think any emulation software uses X-Windows for rendering, search the forum for "dispmanxvnc" or "dispmanx vnc server".
Ill take a look at this and see how I get on, thank you

ed_rockstarguy

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:21 pm

topguy wrote:I don't think any emulation software uses X-Windows for rendering, search the forum for "dispmanxvnc" or "dispmanx vnc server".

After crawling through many posts i managed to get it setup but there is one problem, i can see the desktop but the connection keeps resetting and strange artifacts popup on the screen. Any ideas?

Edit: It was because of my VNC client, after turning down the quality it loaded up right away, Thanks man!

johnnyzoltan7

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Hey everyone, great thread. Quick question for the OP, can you post your solution to using VNC to view the retroPie GUI (I assume thats' what you were able to set up)?? I too have been working on this endeavor . I am running a pi-zero with the latest jessie image installed, I installed the latest RetroPie over the top of my jessie image. Lastly, I was able to access the EmulatorStation auto-config script and disable the ssh/vnc check which was preventing me from even ssh/vnc into the system while ES was running.

Now: at this point, I can VNC into my machine over my local WiFi connection(not emitted by the pi, although I want that to come later), but I can't see the RetroPie GUI from my phone when I VNC into a my machine. I simply get a blank screen. ** I have noticed that when I run certain configuration files, such as raspi-config from the Retro-pie tools page, I am able to see/view those settings from my phone until I exit the tool back to the RetroPie GUI and my phone screen goes blank again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

BrehdPi

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? These posts have a tendency to just... end.

I'm trying to manually install RetroPie onto Raspbian using VNC to remote into the Pi per usual with no avail. Upon boot after installation of RetroPie, I get a black screen with a little white circle for the cursor.

What I've tried: I've adjusting the setting to autoboot into the desktop and disabled have the splash screen. Yet still nothing.

Setup: Hardware, RaspberryPi 3b, MacbookPro to desktop to Pi from\ Software, Raspbian (on Pi), VNC (on Macbook)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am quite new to this and determined to install RetroPie manually.

Thank you!

Puma466

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 am

Was able to set up mine by setting up a server then downloading retropie on top. Enabled VNC on the desktop and within raspi-config in retropie. Then had to turn on experimental mode on VNC. Using my IPad as a screen, a power pack, and I PS4 controller I can take it anywhere. (Also I had to use a USB for my ROMs)

Redsix

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Puma466 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 am
Was able to set up mine by setting up a server then downloading retropie on top. Enabled VNC on the desktop and within raspi-config in retropie. Then had to turn on experimental mode on VNC. Using my IPad as a screen, a power pack, and I PS4 controller I can take it anywhere. (Also I had to use a USB for my ROMs)

Puma466 or anyone,

Can you post steps to do your method please?
- Redsix standing by

nanernaner

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Last time I was working on this, I got as far as just about everything running except I could not control it remotely. I still needed a controller connected to the PI itself. Was there an update that has resolved this or is there a workaround required?

topguy

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 am

I'm not sure VNC has ever had joystick support. TBH its much easier to just install emulators on your phone/tablet directly.

karlo.blue

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

He does not intend to control it from VNC since the PI is connected to his phone own network (not his router) meaning both device are really close to each other hence he can use a wireless gamepad to control it.

jdonald

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forums @karlo.blue. User @nanernaner apparently was trying to control via the tablet, although there aren't yet good solutions for that.

For pure casting, some recent topics about mirroring RetroPie have an update on this:
* Casting RetroPie to laptop display
* Screen capture and video recording

Basically RealVNC's direct capture mode can't obtain the framebuffer at a high framerate, so uv4l-raspidisp is a better solution.

On the Pi 4 they don't have RetroPie yet so those custom RetroArch builds use X11. For that you ought to be able to use regular VNC (no direct capture) and it might provide a decent experience.

I agree mostly with what topguy said about installing directly on tablets, both for the reason of controls as well as smooth rendering. The only caveat is that installing emulators on iOS devices isn't exactly easy. For starters you might require a $99 Apple developer membership to sign and install emulator builds which are not permitted on the App Store.

RpiName

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am

nanernaner wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:49 pm
Last time I was working on this, I got as far as just about everything running except I could not control it remotely. I still needed a controller connected to the PI itself. Was there an update that has resolved this or is there a workaround required?
See this tutorial:
https://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/tut ... n-browser/
Usually, when playing games in RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi, you need a display, speakers, and a gamepad controller directly wired to a Raspberry Pi. With this tutorial, however, we want to show how to play any game with a completely headless Raspberry Pi from a remote PC/Tablet/Android device with display, speakers, gamepad controller connected to the latter.

Return to “Gaming”