bomblord

Tool like imgurn (for ripping disks) on pi?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm

As I somewhat frequently pick up PS1 games for emulating on my pi I'm curious if there are any tools as simple to use as imgburn for ripping a copy of a PS1 CD. On a windows PC I just pop a PS1 disc into my external drive (the drive is tested and working on my pi) open imgurn and click "rip disk" while I've found a complex series of commands and tools that can rip a copy of a disc and then another set of tools to convert it to the appropriate format I would prefer a simpler all-in-one solution.

ejolson

Re: Tool like imgurn (for ripping disks) on pi?

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 am

bomblord wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:18 pm
As I somewhat frequently pick up PS1 games for emulating on my pi I'm curious if there are any tools as simple to use as imgburn for ripping a copy of a PS1 CD. On a windows PC I just pop a PS1 disc into my external drive (the drive is tested and working on my pi) open imgurn and click "rip disk" while I've found a complex series of commands and tools that can rip a copy of a disc and then another set of tools to convert it to the appropriate format I would prefer a simpler all-in-one solution.
If those are command-line tools, you can easily automate the series of commands using a shell script. If those are GUI tools, look for the command-line equivalents and again use a shell script.

Leeloo

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:58 am

dd is pretty easy can get the cdrom device name by typing mount and backup and image something like ..

dd if=/dev/<DEVICENAME> of=~/image.iso

alternatively and probably simple enough install xfburn "sudo apt-get install xfburn" its a nice gui and pretty easy to use. I have used it on ubuntu but never tested it on pi

Heater

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 am

We should probably not be advising how to violate copyright restriction here.

bomblord

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:41 am

Heater wrote:
Format shifting and personal use backups are legal and held up by multiple court cases in the US and additionally legal in the majority of Europe. I'm not in any way distributing the software nor am I acquiring the software through any means other than a legal purchase followed by a personal backup for use in an emulator.

wren

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:07 am

cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile GAME.BIN --device /dev/cdrom --driver generic-mmc-raw GAME.TOC
I guess I should mention the reason you do it this way is because PS1 games aren't ISOs. Early PS2 games on CDROM can be ripped this way to. If you want PS2 DVDs you would do dd if=/dev/sr0 of=~/image.iso like leeloo suggests.

https://github.com/m35/jpsxdec
There is also JAVA based PS1 video and audio extractor.
https://github.com/losnoco/vgmstream
VGMStream for various other weird video game audio formats
https://github.com/audacious-media-player/audacious
Audacious, which I believe can play the midi-like PSF audio files

Heater

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:24 am

bomblord,

Okie dokie.

Imperf3kt

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:51 pm

bomblord wrote:
Heater wrote:
Format shifting and personal use backups are legal and held up by multiple court cases in the US and additionally legal in the majority of Europe.
This is correct however you forgot one thing: removal or circumvention of copyright protection (DRM, for instance) via removal or some other means, is not legal in any country. DVDFab got into big trouble over the whole AACS issue. Lucky for them, they're based in a communist country where the laws they broke don't apply to them.

You can make all the backups and format shifts you want, but you cannot remove the copyright protection on those media.
If that prevents your backup from working, you're out of luck.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

bomblord

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:51 pm
bomblord wrote:
Heater wrote:
Format shifting and personal use backups are legal and held up by multiple court cases in the US and additionally legal in the majority of Europe.
This is correct however you forgot one thing: removal or circumvention of copyright protection (DRM, for instance) via removal or some other means, is not legal in any country. DVDFab got into big trouble over the whole AACS issue. Lucky for them, they're based in a communist country where the laws they broke don't apply to them.

You can make all the backups and format shifts you want, but you cannot remove the copyright protection on those media.
If that prevents your backup from working, you're out of luck.
Luckily PS1 roms don't need that.

Return to “General discussion”