k-pi

Re: When can we expect USB boot for the Pi 4?

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:08 pm

How can you say that someone is 'ungrateful' - this is a commercial product - it isn't free - but was released before it was working fully. 8-)

PeterO

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:24 pm

k-pi wrote:
How can you say that someone is 'ungrateful' - this is a commercial product - it isn't free - but was released before it was working fully. 8-)
Ok, maybe "Ungrateful" is the wrong word, but for the same price we're getting 2-3x performance , 4x RAM, 2xvideo etc etc etc and complaints are about one small feature that is late.... I can't think of the right word....

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Enough said, USB booting is NOT needed for its educational use, and more bickering won't make it ready any sooner, so locking!

When its done it will be broadly announced in the blog.

in the meantime you can easily create your own USB boot code on an SD card.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:03 pm

k-pi wrote:
You keep saying it's not fully working. But it is fully working. You don't sell multiple tens of thousands of devices a day and have a backlog a mile long for a product that isn't fully working.

Now, it might not do specifically what you want it to do, but that does not mean it's not fully working according to the specification. It's like saying my Honda jazz isn't fully working because it's not as fast as the bosses Tesla 3.

And I've no idea what your problem with edids is. For the vast majority of people they work fine. I refer you back to the quantity sold Vs issues reported.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”