boomonster

I managed to get Dolphin running on a Pi 2?!? (VERY SLOWLY)

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 pm

I've seen a lot of posts on trying to get Dolphin running on the Pi, and whether or not it will run.
After fiddling around with the CMakeLists.txt file for a bit, I managed to successfully configure
and compile Dolphin - Please note that this version of Dolphin did not come from the Dolphin
website or GitHub. After installing dolphin, I tried testing it... When I ran the GUI, everything
seemed intact and working - except for the fact that I was unable to use any video outputs but
"Software Renderer" (I think that's SDL). Because of this, all games were unplayably slow, and
I only had the patience to wait for the Nintendo logo to show up and fade out in GameCube
emulation. So yes, I got Dolphin running, but unusably all the same. I never got any video output
from Wii emulation, even though I don't think I got any errors - please forgive me for being so
vague as I am a "noob" and this stuff often goes in one ear and out the other...

The source code I used can be found here: https://code.launchpad.net/~dolphin-emu ... emu/stable
However, I am pretty sure you have to use Bazaar (bzr) to download the code:
sudo apt-get install bzr && bzr branch lp:~dolphin-emu/dolphin-emu/stable

I did use the official documentation for installing Dolphin 5.0 from source on Linux, except that I
changed a few things (mostly leaving out certain packages): https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php? ... n_on_Linux
#1 Do not install polarssl-dev, as I get some errors having to do with lines of code like "x509_cert cacert;".
Instead, Dolphin will build its own version from Externals which fixes the error.
#2 Do not install libavcodec-dev, as again I get a ton of errors when trying to build the one of the AVI recording
objects.
#3 Make sure Full KMS GL is disabled because this seemed to make Dolphin think that GLU was not
installed and that aborted the configuring. If it persists, reflash Raspbian, or try uninstalling and reinstalling
the libglu-mesa-whateveritis driver (find the package name in the official Dolphin website on compiling from source).
#4 I had to edit the CMakeLists.txt file a bit, because it was not detecting that I had both X11 and Wayland
installed for rendering. Here's the changes I made in the code (I only copied the section that I changed):

Code: Select all

option(ANDROID "Enables a build for Android" OFF)
option(USE_EGL "Enables EGL OpenGL Interface" OFF)
option(USE_X11 "Enables X11 Support" ON)
option(USE_WAYLAND "Enables Wayland Support" OFF)
option(USE_GLES "Enables GLES2 And EGL, disables OGL" OFF)
option(USE_GLES3 "Enables GLES3 and EGL" OFF)
option(USE_UPNP "Enables UPnP port mapping support" ON)
option(DISABLE_WX "Disable wxWidgets (use CLI interface)" OFF)

option(FASTLOG "Enable all logs" OFF)
option(OPROFILING "Enable profiling" OFF)
option(OPENMP "Enable OpenMP parallelization" ON)
#I changed ENCODE_FRAMEDUMPS to OFF because there were errors in the AVI dumping code.
option(ENCODE_FRAMEDUMPS "Encode framedumps in AVI format" OFF)
Here's the second place I had to change CMakeLists.txt:

include(CheckLib)
include(CheckCXXSourceRuns)
if(NOT ANDROID)
	#Here is the FindOpenGL command which supposedly checks if X11 is available as well.
	#However, that part of FindOpenGL is deprecated (I think) and I modified the code later on to
	#compensate for this.
	include(FindOpenGL)
	include_directories(${OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR})
	if(NOT OPENGL_GLU_FOUND)
		message(FATAL_ERROR "GLU is required but not found")
	endif()

if(OPENMP)
		include(FindOpenMP OPTIONAL)
		if(OPENMP_FOUND)
			message("OpenMP parallelization enabled")
			add_definitions("${OpenMP_CXX_FLAGS}")
			set(CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS "${CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS} ${OpenMP_CXX_FLAGS}")
		endif()
	endif()
	if(NOT OPENMP_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-Wno-unknown-pragmas)
		message("OpenMP parallelization disabled")
	endif()

include(FindALSA OPTIONAL)
	if(ALSA_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_ALSA=1)
		message("ALSA found, enabling ALSA sound backend")
	else()
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_ALSA=0)
		message("ALSA NOT found, disabling ALSA sound backend")
	endif(ALSA_FOUND)

check_lib(AO ao QUIET)
	if(AO_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_AO=1)
		message("ao found, enabling ao sound backend")
	else()
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_AO=0)
		message("ao NOT found, disabling ao sound backend")
	endif(AO_FOUND)

check_lib(BLUEZ bluez QUIET)
	if(BLUEZ_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_BLUEZ=1)
		message("bluez found, enabling bluetooth support")
	else()
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_BLUEZ=0)
		message("bluez NOT found, disabling bluetooth support")
	endif(BLUEZ_FOUND)

check_lib(PULSEAUDIO libpulse-simple QUIET)
	if(PULSEAUDIO_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_PULSEAUDIO=1)
		message("PulseAudio found, enabling PulseAudio sound backend")
	else()
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_PULSEAUDIO=0)
		message("PulseAudio NOT found, disabling PulseAudio sound backend")
	endif(PULSEAUDIO_FOUND)

include(FindOpenAL OPTIONAL)
	if(OPENAL_FOUND)
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_OPENAL=1)
		include_directories(${OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR})
		message("OpenAL found, enabling OpenAL sound backend")
	else()
		add_definitions(-DHAVE_OPENAL=0)
		message("OpenAL NOT found, disabling OpenAL sound backend")
	endif(OPENAL_FOUND)

if(UNIX AND NOT APPLE)
		# Note: The convention is to check USE_X11 or USE_WAYLAND where needed.
		# This is where we detect platforms and set the variables accordingly.
		pkg_check_modules(WAYLAND wayland-egl wayland-client wayland-cursor)
		if(USE_WAYLAND AND WAYLAND_FOUND)
			pkg_check_modules(XKBCOMMON xkbcommon)
			if(XKBCOMMON_FOUND)
				set(USE_WAYLAND 1)
				add_definitions(-DHAVE_WAYLAND)
				include_directories(${WAYLAND_INCLUDE_DIR})
				message("Wayland support enabled")
			endif(XKBCOMMON_FOUND)
		else()
			set(USE_WAYLAND 0)
			message("Wayland support disabled")
			add_definitions(-DHAVE_WAYLAND=0)
		endif(USE_WAYLAND AND WAYLAND_FOUND)

# Note: We do not need to explicitly check for X11 as it is done in the cmake
		# FindOpenGL module on Linux OR SO THEY SAY...
		#Here is where I have to change the code again (Look at the next line...).
		include(FindX11)
		if(USE_X11 AND X11_FOUND)
			set(USE_X11 1)
			add_definitions(-DHAVE_X11=1)
			include_directories(${X11_INCLUDE_DIR})
			message("X11 support enabled")
		else()
			set(USE_X11 0)
			SET(X11_FOUND "")
			message("X11 support disabled")
			add_definitions(-DHAVE_X11=0)
		endif(USE_X11 AND X11_FOUND)

if (NOT USE_WAYLAND AND NOT USE_X11)
			message(FATAL_ERROR "\n"
				"No suitable display platform found\n"
				"Requires wayland or x11 to run")
		endif()
	endif()

I hope this answers some questions!
If you want to try getting GL or Direct 3D
rendering working I would greatly appreciate
that as I am a fan of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

If I forgot anything, or you are having problems
duplicating what I did, please tell me - I will frequent
the Forums about once a week.

Cheers
Boomonster :)

jdonald

Re: I managed to get Dolphin running on a Pi 2?!? (VERY SLOWLY)

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 am

Hey thanks so much for sharing this. I had no idea about the fork on bazaar because it doesn't match any of the branches on GitHub.

On a Pi 2 v1.2, 3, 3B+, or 4 it's possible to run dolphin-emu from the Debian APT repository if you install a 64-bit kernel. I posted instructions for doing that on Raspbian in one of the 64-bit debate threads.

sakaki released an updated kernel yesterday that fixes GPU acceleration so I tested this out today. Unfortunately it turns out the V3D driver doesn't support OpenGL 3.0 and above so I had to fall back to Mesa llvmpipe. Note this is still different from the Software backend in Dolphin, as you basically select OpenGL and the software rendering happens internal to Mesa.

I played New Super Mario Bros Wii at about 7 fps and confirmed I got make it through the cutscenes and at least get started in world 1-1, but overall it's unplayable. The fps goes up to 30 when the screen fades to black, so that shows potential that the main bottleneck is in the renderer and not CPU, sound, or other parts.

The particular branch you've shared stands out because:
* Unlike mainline, it supports JIT for ARM 32-bit
* It has options like USE_GLES and USE_GLES3
* However, it seems to be forked from something really old.

I wonder why mainline doesn't have the USE_GLES3 option. This would give us accelerated graphics on a Pi 4, and I figure most of the plumbing has already been done for Android.

boomonster

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 pm

One of the things I was wondering
about is if you know of any way to route
the graphics rendering to anything but
Software Renderer as that is the slowest
rendering available and yet this fork does
not want to give me any other options
such as GL or Direct 3D...

Boomonster

jdonald

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:18 pm

What happened when you tried compiling with USE_GLES=ON? I attempted that and it didn't change the listed video options, but I could have easily missed something given all the precarious steps.

You would need a Pi 4 to test USE_GLES3=ON, but can probably hold off on that until someone gets USE_GLES [2.0] working.

boomonster

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 pm

So... I tried with USE_GLES as well, and it didn't
change the video outputs available. :x

If you try running Dolphin in
a terminal, you will see that it is using GLES, but
it seems as if GLES just calculates the graphics
and passes it on to SDL to render or something wierd
like that - forgive me! This stuff is really confusing.

Then, I tried disabling EGL and GLES, and ported
the video to GLX, although the video output seemed
to stay the same in Dolphin. Unfortunately, though
I was hoping it would be faster, Dolphin suddenly
crashed, despite me enabling the error box thing
so Dolphin would tell me if an error occured and
what it is...

Oh, and F-Zero GX for GameCube does not work
at all as it gave me some funny memory error problem
before crashing.

If you know of any ways that could possibly help,
please tell me!

Boomonster

jdonald

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:47 am

I went looking for info on Dolphin GLES3 Linux support and landed on bomblord's home thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-d ... -4?page=10

The devs answered my questions promptly. First insight was that the "OpenGL" video backend actually handles OpenGL, GLES2, and GLES3 so it's a bit of a misnomer.

They are pretty discouraging of the idea of running an older version of the emulator (Debian source package is from 2016) and I see their point. They have fixed hundreds of bugs with graphics rendering and just as many in the core over the years. F-Zero GX doesn't get anywhere on the Debian source snapshot but it at least goes through the memory card motions when I build off the tip of master. The Canonical bzr code you've pointed to is even older so that's all the more reason to stay away from it.

Error box: They can catch and report errors from asserts, but with bad pointer accesses or GL errors unfortunately the program will die ungracefully.

What revision is your Pi 2? If it's v1.2 or newer you can install a 64-bit kernel and build/run from the latest source too.

I'll post updates in the Dolphin forum thread when I have time.

zRevengee

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

i tried running on gentoo , but i can't get it running, using the cmake funtionality it just return an OpenGl error when trying to run wii system menu
can someone help me just booting? can someone send the correct cmakelist file?

boomonster

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:55 pm

My pi is, unfortunately, a Rev 1.1.

So, Dolphin 5 is not an option...

jdonald

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 am

Welcome @zRevengee.

I decided to go for Gentoo as well. The Pi 4 image released yesterday has the necessary fix for V3D.

No special CMake flags, just built and installed via sudo emerge games-emulation/dolphin (although I did have to learn the --autounmask-write & etc-update intricacies of Portage). The build of Dolphin and its dependencies takes about an hour, seems to be using -j1 by default.

From there, the trick to get it to use GLES 3.0 is in the settings. First go to the Options -> Graphics Settings and set the backend to OpenGL, then close the program. This will create the appropriate configuration file. Next, edit ~/.config/dolphin-emu/GFX.ini and add this line to the bottom (should go anywhere under [Settings]):

PreferGLES = True
Now open up dolphin-emu again and open a game. It'll warn that without EXT_buffer_storage things are expected to be slow, but games will work anyway and some GameCube scenes run at full speed. I tried Luigi's Mansion and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Luigi's Mansion ranges from 15 to 30 fps for gameplay (windowed or fullscreen) could be deemed playable. Whereas New Super Mario Bros goes at about 18 fps windowed and feels rather painful to play.

The whole procedure as described above requires GLES 3.0 so it will work only on a Pi 4.

If you wish to run on a Pi 3B+ or older, at this time you can resort to LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 as I mentioned in the 64-bit discussion thread. That will leave games rendering at about 2 fps or less so I'm not recommending this route.

sakaki

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:53 am

jdonald wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 am
No special CMake flags, just built and installed via sudo emerge games-emulation/dolphin (although I did have to learn the --autounmask-write & etc-update intricacies of Portage). The build of Dolphin and its dependencies takes about an hour, seems to be using -j1 by default.
I have very conservative build settings for the image clamped in make.defaults (here) - deliberately, to prevent issues for users on e.g. Pi3B systems.

To change this (quite safe on the more powerful Pi4 if you have a 2GiB or 4GiB version), simply edit (as root, or using sudo) /etc/portage/make.conf on your system. If you have a Pi4, you can uncomment the MAKEOPTS and EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS lines below; this will significantly improve compilation performance:

# override default build parallelism by uncommenting the following
# two lines, and modifying the values as required
# Pi4 users (particularly those with a 4GiB variant) can afford to be
# more aggressive here
#MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l4"
#EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=5 --load-average=4"
# caution! many parallel threads and / or emerge jobs may cause your
# RPi3/4 to run out of memory during large builds, or genup runs
hth, sakaki

rpiMike

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

My first attempt at running the Dolphin Emulator:

https://youtu.be/EeEVrx7rH8w

altharic

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Does it compile on raspbian at all or is it 64 bit only does ppsspp compile too?

jdonald

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks sakaki. I'm using those args going forward. Will just have to remember to revert if I happen to plug this SD card into a Pi 3B+.

rpiMike, looking good so far!
altharic wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 pm
Does it compile on raspbian at all or is it 64 bit only does ppsspp compile too?
To compile for 32-bit you need to set -DENABLE_GENERIC=ON because they don't have a 32-bit JIT. GameCube games can then run on Raspbian at about 4 fps with GLES 3.0 (better than we had last week with software rendering, but still unplayable). boomonster was also trying to use a 6-year-old codebase that still had the armhf JIT, but the more I learn from the devs the less I recommend even considering that path.

TL;DR stick with 64-bit for Dolphin.

No experience with PPSSPP but there are videos of it with RetroPie on YouTube.

altharic

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:44 pm

The generic build fails on this any ideas?

make[2]: *** [Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/build.make:102: Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/ObjectCache.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/ShaderCompiler.cpp:108:32: warning: no previous declaration for ‘std::optional<std::vector<unsigned int> > Vulkan::ShaderCompiler::CompileShaderToSPV(EShLanguage, const char*, std::string_view, std::string_view)’ [-Wmissing-declarations]
 std::optional<SPIRVCodeVector> CompileShaderToSPV(EShLanguage stage, const char* stage_filename,
                                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/Renderer.cpp:29:
/home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/VKTexture.h: In member function ‘bool Vulkan::VKTexture::IsAdopted() const’:
/home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/VKTexture.h:57:51: error: invalid operands of types ‘const VkDeviceMemory’ {aka ‘const long long unsigned int’} and ‘std::nullptr_t’ to binary ‘operator!=’
   bool IsAdopted() const { return m_device_memory != nullptr; }
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/StateTracker.cpp:14:
/home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/VKTexture.h: In member function ‘bool Vulkan::VKTexture::IsAdopted() const’:
/home/pi/code/dolphin/Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/VKTexture.h:57:51: error: invalid operands of types ‘const VkDeviceMemory’ {aka ‘const long long unsigned int’} and ‘std::nullptr_t’ to binary ‘operator!=’
   bool IsAdopted() const { return m_device_memory != nullptr; }
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/build.make:154: Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/StateTracker.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/build.make:128: Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/Renderer.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2166: Source/Core/VideoBackends/Vulkan/CMakeFiles/videovulkan.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2

jdonald

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:39 pm

Well I highly recommend against running Dolphin without a JIT! I uploaded a Mesa 19.3 build in the EXT_buffer_storage thread and soon will post steps for how to run Dolphin on Raspbian + 64-bit kernel.

That said, I encountered that compilation error too and without thinking much just built without Vulkan. At the time I wasn't sure if it was just a one-off issue (as the Dolphin repo changes frequently), but looking at the error now it seems to assume pointers are 64-bit (long long). There was just one line that does add_subdirectory(vulkan) and one instantiation of the Vulkan class in the code which I commented out. I also encountered some cast errors in the networking code because it didn't take into account that long is 32-bits or 64-bits depending on the target. In retrospect you might be able to work around that by disabling netplay.

All the more reason it's not worth building Dolphin armhf. Rather than dealing with unsupported code, compiling for an hour, and landing with something that runs at 4 fps, make the leap to 64-bit!

altharic

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 am

I wonder if its 64 bit only hence why it will not build on 32 bit?

Its in the FAQ it is

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/

EDIT seemingly not

32-bit ARM devices are not affected by this decision and will continue to be supported.

jdonald

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 pm

They inserted that out-of-place sentence probably because Android M wasn't released and 64-bit SBCs weren't yet commonplace in 2014. The announcement was foretelling nonetheless. It's a lot of added effort to maintain a JIT for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

Apparently they removed the ARM 32-bit JIT build only one year later: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/2567

altharic

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm

That explains it then thanks for looking hopefully raspbian one day goes 64 bit .

boomonster

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 am

I was wondering what the "VPS" was in the top bar in the Dolphin window.
The reason is, I was getting 60-100% which I am guessing means near
fullspeed emulation? The graphics, of course, were a complete bottleneck
although I did get 1fps instead of like 0.3fps when using the dolphin 4.0 "hotfixes"
source code on the official github page. The sound also feels pretty good,
so if only I could get dolphin to smarten up I could probably play Luigi's Mansion
at maybe 10fps...

Boomonster

jdonald

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:16 pm

boomonster wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 am
I was wondering what the "VPS" was in the top bar in the Dolphin window.
The reason is, I was getting 60-100% which I am guessing means near
fullspeed emulation?
Found this in an old post on the Dolphin forums saying:
FPS=speed of gpu (how many frames it is drawing per second)

VPS=speed of cpu (max number of frames per second the gpu can draw based on how fast the cpu is running)

Percentage=speed that the game is running at, 100% being fullspeed or the speed that it runs at on the native hardware (the console that's being emulated)
So I think you're right, CPU (w/ JIT) and sound emulation on the Pi 2 is close to full speed at least for GameCube. That's good news in the sense that fixing graphics driver issues on Pi 4 will likely translate directly to a better experience.

For Pi 2 10 fps wishful thinking: Looking at the commits in the bzr fork, even the stuff that's recent as of 2013 is focused on GLES3. I'm thinking that GLES2 was already broken by that point and to get GPU rendering on a Pi 3B+ or older you'd have to go back to an even earlier snapshot.

zRevengee's Pi 4 + Gentoo video now has 3000+ views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-TetK1MtQ There's a shout-out to you at 0:59!

New thread specific to Pi 4 + Raspbian setup: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=250090

edit: ETA PRIME picked up on zRevengee's tutorial and yesterday tested 10 games here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TyYU9Xhcs 35000+ views

Return to “Gaming”