W. H. Heydt

Re: Official Keyboard and mouse

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 am

cspan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 am
I liked that keyboard, but it was not cost-effective. Mine lasted just beyond the warranty period. At the time, I think that was 3 years, so about $30/yr.
MY Unicomp keyboard is (IIRC) over 10 years old and works just fine. Even if memory has failed, I had it before I got my first Pi in 2012. Not sure what happened to yours.

k-pi

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 am

I use CIT KB-738 keyboards, I bought 2 of them, because I hated having that number pad & cursor keys added on to a standard keyboard - always hated having number pads on keyboards! :lol: 8-)

I was going to get an official keyboard, but was informed that they don't have an 'insert' key, which I regularly use with mc, so that fell through. ;)

P.S. I bought a mini Kkmoon bluetooth keyboard/track pad, but it wouldn't work on my RPi3Bs, with Stretch, but it works under Buster, so it is being used with my RPi3A+ & 8" SVGA TFT, (mainly as a music player).

pi-tastic

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm

20190815_134307.jpg
20190815_134307.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
i herd a rumor that you do not want to spill even one droplet of water into these as keys will stop working.
so i better be careful!
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

ProDigit

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Tomshardware just posted this article,
Though I think it's an old idea.
They even use the pi 3 a, instead of the 4B.
https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/cutie ... 40158.html

PeterO

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

ProDigit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Tomshardware just posted this article,
Though I think it's an old idea.
They even use the pi 3 a, instead of the 4B.
https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/cutie ... 40158.html
If you RTA it says they are using a Compute Module 3 Lite. So I'm not sure why you think they should be using a Pi4 when there is no Compute Module yet. :roll:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ProDigit

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I misread, and thought it'd run on the pi3.

pi-tastic

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:51 pm

pop in trays onto the keyboard would be cool, different trays to hold different pi's
would be less clutter, and keeps pi from shorting out from things on the desk lol.
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

Paul Hutch

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
cspan wrote:
I liked that keyboard, but it was not cost-effective. Mine lasted just beyond the warranty period. At the time, I think that was 3 years, so about $30/yr.
MY Unicomp keyboard is (IIRC) over 10 years old and works just fine. Even if memory has failed, I had it before I got my first Pi in 2012. Not sure what happened to yours.
My first Unicomp Model M is over 10 years old and going strong. I bought my second unit 3 years ago.

cspan

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
cspan wrote:
Neither am I, but it started missing spaces, and then actuating 2-3 times on a few different characters. All went downhill fairly rapidly over the course of a few weeks. Ironically, perhaps my keyboard wasn't old enough (i.e., maybe yours was made better).

My $4 Inland made it about 18 months and was still working OK, but I changed it out for a new one of the same type, as more keys were worn down to blank, and I share this keyboard and computer (on occasion) with the woman to whom I'm related by marriage. I figured she might prefer one with fewer mystery keys.

I wouldn't mind trying a Pi keyboard in its place, but I need a numeric keypad too, and I like it to all be in one peripheral.

ejolson

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm
pi-tastic wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Do you guys enjoy using the keyboard as much as me?
I bought 2 !!!

:-D

Picked up a mouse too! seems to work pretty good.
The keyboards are more or less okay for casual use but for serious typists they are far from ideal. Or as my wife said when I had her try the "touch", "No! Never going to use that!" The difference being that she used to make her living typing and--at the time--tested at 100wpm. At home, both of us use Unicomp keyboards. This is not to say that the keyboard isn't okay for kids or usage with a Pi that takes minimal typing.
Why is it okay for kids to eat hotdogs while typing on membrane keyboards but not adults? Many years ago I could type fast and the letters were always in the correct order. Now I type fast and the letters get all mixed up. Is it my fingers getting old or keyboards getting cheaper?

Today people are attracted to those all-in-one computers (like the iMac) that have the processor inside the monitor. While I understand the desire to cut down on the cables, it seems less wasteful to toss a keyboard when the computer needs updating than to toss an entire monitor. Now that small single board computers (like the TRS-80) work well as desktops, it would be nice to see more all-in-one computers inside the keyboard rather than inside the monitor.

andrum99

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 am

ejolson wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:45 am
Now that small single board computers (like the TRS-80) work well as desktops, it would be nice to see more all-in-one computers inside the keyboard rather than inside the monitor.
I think a Pi keyboard with space for a Raspberry Pi 4B would be rather cool, although it would need to incorporate either a big heat sink or a fan. That would kind of bring the Pi a bit closer to the BBC Micro, which inspired it.

(Although the current official keyboard doesn't seem to agree with my fingers - I find myself missing random letters when I type).

davidcoton

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 am

[pedant]
The BBC micro had neither heatsink nor fan. I still have at least one BBC that had enough internal additions to need a fan -- without one it regularly got warm enough to crash.
[/pedant]
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

cspan

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:03 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 am

(Although the current official keyboard doesn't seem to agree with my fingers - I find myself missing random letters when I type).
I recently tried out a new Pi keyboard on my PC (Linux Mint) and I'm finding that to be an issue as well - especially with the period (.) key, which often fails to actuate despite being fully depressed. Some testing revealed it was unforgiving of my pressing the key around its perimeter (probably used to a different layout and spacing), rather than dead center. :?

Sadly it's not going to work for me, my other keyboards are much more forgiving in this regard. :(

Return to “General discussion”